degree in construction management

Old May 7th 2009, 7:29 am
Just Joined

jen_c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default degree in construction management

hi

my husband has a degree in construction manangement and works as a site/civil engineer. im trying to find what he would come under on the skilled profesional list. would it be Building & Engineering professional? Although his degree cert does not have the word 'engineering' on it. Can anyone help?
Old May 7th 2009, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: degree in construction management

Originally Posted by jen_c
hi

my husband has a degree in construction manangement and works as a site/civil engineer. im trying to find what he would come under on the skilled profesional list. would it be Building & Engineering professional? Although his degree cert does not have the word 'engineering' on it. Can anyone help?
Hi Jen, there are quite a few engineering options. I think your husband would be advised to read through the descriptions and see which is most closely suited to what he does. I don't think people that don't know him are best placed to do that for him

My degree does not have the word "accountancy" in it but I have had my skills successfuly assessed as an accountant so that is not necessarily a problem, although you should read about it further.

There is a civil engineer on the list, would that not be better for him. Note that civil engineer is on the MODL whereas the one you mentioned is not. Take care over that, better to be on MODL of course, both for extra points and also faster processing, although still quite slow
Old May 7th 2009, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

hi

Your husband is the only one who can answer this question. Let me share my experience with you, so it may help you understand.

I have a qualification in Architectural Engineering. Typically, people are either architects or engineer. My qualification mixes both engineering and architecutre somhow. So, when I was trying to determine my occupation on the SOL, I was very confused between architect or bldg & eng prof nec.

I decided to apply as an architect, I lodged an application for assessment, and paid $ 1050. Four weeks later, result arrives and it was NOT SUITABLE

Then, I moved to engineers australia, and applied through CDR path, and got my assessment in 2 days time .

Long story, but the point from it is, your husband must think carefully about his job and qualification before applying for the assessing authority.

Also, you have to know that his quals will compared to current Australin quals. If he nominated civil engineering, then Engineers Australia, will compare his quals with the current civil engineering program requirements in Australia, and they will make a decision based on that.

I suggest the following occupations:
Construction Project Manager 1191-11
Project Builder 1191-13

If money is not a matter, try applying for engieers australia in order to get 60 points along with modl points.

good luck
Ahmad
Old May 7th 2009, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info. I'm concerned whether EA will base their decision entirely on his degree or whether they take work experience into consideration aswell?
Old May 7th 2009, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Ahmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really niceAhmadj is just really nice

Thanks for the info. I'm concerned whether EA will base their decision entirely on his degree or whether they take work experience into consideration aswell?
EA will consider many factors in their assessment, including work experience.

By the way, EA gives more flexibility than any other assessing authority. When filling the assessment form, it is your responsibility to nominate your " Field of Engineering". And, if they are not happy with you nominated, they will give you another occupation, after contacting you, so they, as far as I know, rarely say "you are not suitable".

This has happened with many people. My friend nominated elecctronics engineering, and they told him that they believe he is not suitable for that nomination, and that they will classify him as bldg & eng prof. nec.

However, they still might completely reject a qualification, nothing is certain.

I want to suggest something else. How about you checking if your husband's quals falls under the Washington accord.

First, see if the quals was gained from a signatory country
http://www.washingtonaccord.org/Wash...ignatories.cfm

Then, check the body representing your country, I assume UK
http://www.engc.org.uk/

on their website, check for your husbands university and major. If it is accredited by that body of your country, then it means you are covered by the accord, which means a straight positive assessment from EA.

There is another path ofcourse if the quals was not W. accord one.

Ahmad
Old May 7th 2009, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Ahmad
Old May 7th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

varsanik will become famous soon enoughvarsanik will become famous soon enough

I have a degree in construction management and applied as a Construction Project Manager 1191-11 see: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...er-1191-11.htm.

The benefit in my opinion is the assesment is carried out by vetasses one of the easiest and cheapest options. With your husbands degree, you are 100%certain to pass the vetassess (at this stage, they dont look at work experience).

This then bring you onto the main application and work experience. If applying as 1191-11, your work reference will need to show evidence that you have a management position.

Contact www.gomatilda.com for a free initial consultation, I used them and they where great.

Best of Luck