Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Defacto Visa - Partner/Sponsor is Student = Problem??

Wikiposts

Defacto Visa - Partner/Sponsor is Student = Problem??

Old Feb 5th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

tree is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Defacto Visa - Partner/Sponsor is Student = Problem??

Hello

I'm just starting the fun and joy of getting together my defacto visa application... I'm currently in Australia and applying from here (I'm from the UK)

If my partner (ie my sponsor?) is a student (he's going back to Uni after travelling) does this mean he can't be my sponsor? I'm a bit confused - it says that the person needs to be able to cover you financially while you're on the temp spouse visa? Do I have to use someone else? Or put him?

- just did my meds this morning! The doc was rather pleased I turned up with a print out of my med-records from my doctor in the uk

Oh - will it matter if all my Statutory Decs are from British people rather than Australians? Can you use one of your partners parents for a Stat Dec?

Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Old Feb 5th 2007, 6:13 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Defacto Visa - Partner/Sponsor is Student = Problem??

Originally Posted by tree
If my partner (ie my sponsor?) is a student (he's going back to Uni after travelling) does this mean he can't be my sponsor? I'm a bit confused - it says that the person needs to be able to cover you financially while you're on the temp spouse visa? Do I have to use someone else? Or put him?

Oh - will it matter if all my Statutory Decs are from British people rather than Australians? Can you use one of your partners parents for a Stat Dec?
You should read the Partner Migration Booklet if you haven't already done so. It's quite an important guide to refer to before applying for your spouse visa.

Sponsor - your de-facto partner must be your sponsor for your spouse visa. If he's not financially independent, you must prepare to be asked by DIAC to provide an discretionary Assurance of Support.

Stat Decs - they must be from Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents. Partner's parents can definitely provide one, if they are Australian citizens or permanent residents.

Peter
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

I have the spouse migration booklet... so much info, it gets confusing. I seemed to think that about my partner having to be my sponsor. He is going to be studying and only working parttime. I am working fulltime in IT and perfectly capable of supporting myself (and him!!! (I came in on the Working Holiday visa... )
Do you think that they will ask for an Assurance of Support from someone other than him to ensure that they can pay for me for the 2 years?

About the Statutory Declarations. We've only been in Australia for 2 months. My partner is Australian and he was in the UK for 2 years - the friends we have for doing a statutory declaration are all British!! We didn't really know any Australians in the UK!! (possibly quite a rare situation!).

Why do they make it so complicated!!! Arghhh
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:50 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

I have the spouse migration booklet... so much info, it gets confusing. I seemed to think that about my partner having to be my sponsor. He is going to be studying and only working parttime. I am working fulltime in IT and perfectly capable of supporting myself (and him!!! (I came in on the Working Holiday visa... )
Do you think that they will ask for an Assurance of Support from someone other than him to ensure that they can pay for me for the 2 years?

About the Statutory Declarations. We've only been in Australia for 2 months. My partner is Australian and he was in the UK for 2 years - the friends we have for doing a statutory declaration are all British!! We didn't really know any Australians in the UK!! (possibly quite a rare situation!).
Do you know any Australians in Australia then? If you are applying for a spouse visa in Australia, you are expected to provide Stat Decs from Australian citizens or permanent residents. What about his parents then?

Re your AoS risk, talk to a registered agent who has experience in such matters. You need to prepare your application well to avoid hassles later on down the road.

Peter
Old Feb 6th 2007, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

I was going to use my partners parents for one stat dec which is fine... but they want 2.
I thought that the whole point of stat decs was that the people have known you a long time... oh well - I'll stick in a couple of Australians we know and then stick in a couple of UK ones too - can't hurt!

mmm - trying to avoid using an agent... I'll look into the assurance of support malarky... thanks for all your help!!!!
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:28 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

mmm - trying to avoid using an agent... I'll look into the assurance of support malarky... thanks for all your help!!!!
You do realize I'm also an agent, who just happens to be responding online for free. I think you're being diplomatic when you said you're trying not to use an agent when I think you actually mean something else

There's only that much free advice can help you though.

Peter
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

I don't know what I'm saying or trying to say... ?!?

I just don't want to go through an agent because it's moooooore money! That's all I meant!!!!