De Facto Visa - Not so scary

Old May 12th 2008, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Katie Heidi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De Facto Visa - Not so scary

Hi to everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you to the site, as everyone knows it a scary experience going for a visa and this web site made me feel at ease. Therefore i'd like to share my experience.

I met my partner in Los Angeles in June 2006, we only knew each other for 3 days as he was working in a hostel there and i was travelling with a friend. We knew the relationship needed a chance so he booked a ticket to England. In August the same year he came to Leeds and stayed with my parents and i. Unfortunately his (he still had a UK work visa) UK Visa expired in Feb and i was finishing my degree we decided that he'd go back to Melbourne and we'd meet in June in Melbourne when my degree was complete, which we did.

We stayed with his Mum in Melbourne and did loads of travelling, then we rented our own place (from his uncle, so no agent involved, which became a worry when collecting evidence for the de facto visa). So we were concerned that we didn't really have any history of shared finances as such (apart from a bank account).

We decided that we didn't want the pressure when my work holiday visa expired so we looked into all the possibilities of visas. After speaking to a person at the immigration department we knew de facto was the best option but the person there gave us poor advice. I was told i had to have been living in Oz for one year with my partner and to apply for the de facto visa the day before my working holiday visa ran out. This sounded ridiculous to us, so my boyfriend rang and was given all the information needed and no we
don't need to wait until the end of my current visa as we've been together for nearly 2 years.

So from this point (April this year) the interview date was booked in (May 7th) and medical check.

We then started to collect all the evidence this included:

1. Photo's (though this was a small album as they were mainly pictures of evenings out and that kind of thing, when on holiday you rarely end with both in the same photo).

2. Stat Decs (about 12)

3. Bank statements

4. Letters where it shows we have been at the same address.

5. Evidence of my degree

6. Some phone records

8. Basically anything that proves it.

When we went for the interview, i thought it would be more like an interrogation but it isn't.

When we arrived at the immigration office in Melbourne we handed the photos and file in with the evidence, we waited 10 mins (in this time i can't see how she managed to look through the evidence file) and were called into an office by a very nice lady (who is now our immigration officer). The first thing she said was yep everything is good, fill this form in and i'll see you in 2 years.

We were shocked because although i had my Aust police check the UK one had still not arrived, she didn't seem too bothered. Basically as soon as that arrives i go back and see her for the visa to be put in my passport.

Overall it was so stressful collecting the info but the interview was a pleasant experience. I think as long as you explain any gaps in the relationship and have some evidence they can see how genuine it is.

Sorry this is long i just wanted to share my experience.

Hope this calms the nerves for the worriers like me out there.

Good luck
Old May 12th 2008, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: De Facto Visa - Not so scary

Originally Posted by Katie Heidi
Hi to everyone,

I just wanted to say thank you to the site, as everyone knows it a scary experience going for a visa and this web site made me feel at ease. Therefore i'd like to share my experience.

I met my partner in Los Angeles in June 2006, we only knew each other for 3 days as he was working in a hostel there and i was travelling with a friend. We knew the relationship needed a chance so he booked a ticket to England. In August the same year he came to Leeds and stayed with my parents and i. Unfortunately his (he still had a UK work visa) UK Visa expired in Feb and i was finishing my degree we decided that he'd go back to Melbourne and we'd meet in June in Melbourne when my degree was complete, which we did.

We stayed with his Mum in Melbourne and did loads of travelling, then we rented our own place (from his uncle, so no agent involved, which became a worry when collecting evidence for the de facto visa). So we were concerned that we didn't really have any history of shared finances as such (apart from a bank account).

We decided that we didn't want the pressure when my work holiday visa expired so we looked into all the possibilities of visas. After speaking to a person at the immigration department we knew de facto was the best option but the person there gave us poor advice. I was told i had to have been living in Oz for one year with my partner and to apply for the de facto visa the day before my working holiday visa ran out. This sounded ridiculous to us, so my boyfriend rang and was given all the information needed and no we
don't need to wait until the end of my current visa as we've been together for nearly 2 years.

So from this point (April this year) the interview date was booked in (May 7th) and medical check.

We then started to collect all the evidence this included:

1. Photo's (though this was a small album as they were mainly pictures of evenings out and that kind of thing, when on holiday you rarely end with both in the same photo).

2. Stat Decs (about 12)

3. Bank statements

4. Letters where it shows we have been at the same address.

5. Evidence of my degree

6. Some phone records

8. Basically anything that proves it.

When we went for the interview, i thought it would be more like an interrogation but it isn't.

When we arrived at the immigration office in Melbourne we handed the photos and file in with the evidence, we waited 10 mins (in this time i can't see how she managed to look through the evidence file) and were called into an office by a very nice lady (who is now our immigration officer). The first thing she said was yep everything is good, fill this form in and i'll see you in 2 years.

We were shocked because although i had my Aust police check the UK one had still not arrived, she didn't seem too bothered. Basically as soon as that arrives i go back and see her for the visa to be put in my passport.

Overall it was so stressful collecting the info but the interview was a pleasant experience. I think as long as you explain any gaps in the relationship and have some evidence they can see how genuine it is.

Sorry this is long i just wanted to share my experience.

Hope this calms the nerves for the worriers like me out there.

Good luck
Great story and a happy ending too!
I use the same policy of being honest...Nobody likes to be told fibs, least of all officials!!

Thanks for a cheering us up with it!

Went to Melbourne last year and must say, I loved it soooo much. Unfortunately, OH likes Sydney more so that's where we are going...Yes, she is the boss
Old May 12th 2008, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Scott and Kaz will become famous soon enough

Hi Katie,

Great to hear it all worked out.

I am in the process of applying for De facto spouse visa, nearly finished just got to double and triple check everything should be ready by end of the week. Got my meds booked for 30th May but its still a bit daunting trying to make sure i've covered everything,

Scott
Old May 12th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

zoomerang is an unknown quantity at this point

fingers crossed!

We apply June/July this year, dependent on how much evidence of living together we have.

At my medical offshore, the waiting room had 4 families all going to Oz
Old May 13th 2008, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Katie Heidi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My partner and i didn't really have much evidence as in living together as we stayed out both our parents houses. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Before we handed all the info in we were so worried we didn't have enough evidence as in financial etc, so we over compensated with stat decs.

So we were shocked that the lady (not needing to interview us) said as soon as we sat down with her that we had the visa and even though i didn't have my UK police check yet all was good (obviously they need that in order to put the visa in my passport). She said she knew we were genuine, i think the photos help, but i doubt in 10 mins she had the chance to read all the info and she also said we had more then enough info. So don't worry they'll see your genuine and you'll be absoloutly fine.

Again don't stress and it'll be sorted before you know it.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

velma has a spectacular aura aboutvelma has a spectacular aura aboutvelma has a spectacular aura about

You did that in person not in teh UK then? And you hadn't lived together for 12 months?

I need to hear from ANYONE who has applied for de facto and not been living together for 12 months - we haev been in a relationship for 20 months but in the same house only for one month. Would heaps of stat decs and emails showing how long we have been together be sufficient for a TEMPORARY visa? Are we stuffed?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

FrancesandMatt is an unknown quantity at this point

Can my parents (i'm the australian) write a personal letter? How many letters did everyone include?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by velma
You did that in person not in teh UK then? And you hadn't lived together for 12 months?

I need to hear from ANYONE who has applied for de facto and not been living together for 12 months - we haev been in a relationship for 20 months but in the same house only for one month. Would heaps of stat decs and emails showing how long we have been together be sufficient for a TEMPORARY visa? Are we stuffed?
You will need good reasons for not actually living together - might be as well to get advice from an agent. The living together can be in a house with no one else, sharing a house with friends or parents, the issue is that you have to be able to prove that you have ben in a committed exclusive rel'shoip for 12 months, and if you aren't living together then you need good reasons (such as religious beliefs)

Originally Posted by FrancesandMatt
Can my parents (i'm the australian) write a personal letter? How many letters did everyone include?
Yes, your parents can do one