De facto Spouse Visa Questions

Old Oct 10th 2002, 12:14 am
Just Joined

Dave&Becca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default De facto Spouse Visa Questions

Hello.

We are about to apply for a De Facto Spouse Visa in Sydney and have a couple of questions DIMIA aren't being too helpful with.

1. With the police Records Check, do they accept any form of payment from Australia or do they require only UK Personal Cheques/UK Bank Cheques? Also, do they send the report directly to our Sydney address or should we supply them with a friend's address in the UK?

2. We have two of our friends filling out Stat Decs (Form 888) over here in Sydney. But we also need Becca's parents (English) and my old flatmate (Australian) who are in the UK to fill out Stat Decs too. Does anyone know if the 888 Stat Dec Forms can be used over in the UK or are they for use in Australia only?

Any help is very much appreciated!!!

Dave & Becca.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: De facto Spouse Visa Questions

Originally posted by Dave&Becca:
Hello.

We are about to apply for a De Facto Spouse Visa in Sydney and have a couple of questions DIMIA aren't being too helpful with.

1. With the police Records Check, do they accept any form of payment from Australia or do they require only UK Personal Cheques/UK Bank Cheques? Also, do they send the report directly to our Sydney address or should we supply them with a friend's address in the UK?

2. We have two of our friends filling out Stat Decs (Form 888) over here in Sydney. But we also need Becca's parents (English) and my old flatmate (Australian) who are in the UK to fill out Stat Decs too. Does anyone know if the 888 Stat Dec Forms can be used over in the UK or are they for use in Australia only?

Any help is very much appreciated!!!

Dave & Becca.
Hi Dave & Becca

Regarding the UK Police check payment. The payment must be in english pounds. Most australian banks will give you a UK payable cheque. As long as the cheque can be cashed in the UK and is for UK pounds then it doesn't matter where it comes from.

I went to CBA and got them to give me a UK Bank cheque for 10 pounds. This worked a treat.

Regarding the place to send them. Use your australian address. I had the same thought. The UK police don't care about where they send them to. It does take a little bit longer as post from the UK takes ages.

The 888 forms are only to be filled in by Australian Citizens. Thats what my agent told me and thats what the forms say, I think.

Regarding Becca's parents (English) get them to fill out a standard Stat Dec form (See DIMA website for template) and get it certified with a copy of there photo page from there passport. Thats what I did and my agent said that was ok.

Hope this helps

Kieron
Old Oct 10th 2002, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Dave&Becca is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kieron.

Thanks loads for that info. You've been a huge help!

We were also wondering what you used for ID when you sent your application for a Police Check? Rebecca can't send her passport as she needs it here in Australia and apparently they don't accept copies. She was thinking of asking the CBA for a statement including her DOB and accompanying that with certified copies of her passport and a utility bill. Di you think this will be enough?

Also, is it possible for a doctor or someone similar to witness stat decs in the UK? We have heard that you need to pay a solicitor to do it. If so, do you also need a solicitor to certify copies or can a doctor do that?

Thanks again Kieron. Hopefully one day we can help someone out like this too.

Cheers,
Dave & Becca.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Hi Kieron.

We were also wondering what you used for ID when you sent your application for a Police Check? Rebecca can't send her passport as she needs it here in Australia and apparently they don't accept copies. She was thinking of asking the CBA for a statement including her DOB and accompanying that with certified copies of her passport and a utility bill. Di you think this will be enough?

Also, is it possible for a doctor or someone similar to witness stat decs in the UK? We have heard that you need to pay a solicitor to do it. If so, do you also need a solicitor to certify copies or can a doctor do that?

Cheers,
Dave & Becca.
I sent my driving license, I got it back 2 weeks later. They send the ID back before the police check.

I think I remember reading in this newgroup about somebody sending a certified copy of passport and originals of utility bills/bank statements with a letter stating why they couldn't include the passport. I think that this was ok. What about sending you OZ driving license.

Regarding getting stat decs in the uk certified, as long as the person certifying the document in the UK, has the power to do so in the eyes of UK law. Then it should be OK. I've never had to get anything certified in the UK so I won't know.

I'm sure somebody here on this newsgroup can give a little bit more advice on UK stat decs certifying.

Kieron

P.S

I wish the police checks in UK were more like Ireland. My girlfriend sent them an e-mail with her name, address and reason why she needed it, and they sent it out no questions asked. No need for ID, money or anything. She had them in 5 days.

She even called them a day later to ask them if they got the e-mail and was everything ok. THe woman who she talked to remembered the e-mail because of our home address - woolloomooloo, and commented on the number of o's and was she having a good time and that her son was in Australia. You don't get that from New Scot Yard.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 3:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi Kieron.

Cheers,
Dave & Becca.
Hi,
I was in the same position as you, applying for PR from Australia (defacto relationship).

For payment I sent Pounds, well what I actually did was to get my mum (who's in Britain) to send them a cheque.
I sent copies of everything (birth certificate, passport,driving licence, British bank books) and had them signed by a justice of peace (I was lucky, a guy in work with me is a JP). I also sent them some original old British bank statements which I still had, and some current Australian ones.

Although it says they must be original, I did not send original passport, birth certificates, or licence.... there was no way that I was going to post these to Britain, just in case they got lost.
I sent all these copies to my mum in Britain, who put the cheque in, and sent them on to the police... I put my mum's address in the envelope, saying if they can't send to Australia, please send to "this" (my mum's) address.... I needn't worried, as they sent my police check back out to me in Australia.

I also phoned Scotland yard before I posted all the documents, explaining my situation about being in Australia, and I can't send original documents. They sort of gave me approval to send copies, and also said to just include anything extra which was original... like bank statements. When I did send the stuff, I also included a letter, again explaining my situation, and referred to the phone call I made.

Hope you made sense of all that
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Oct 10th 2002 at 3:57 am.
Old Oct 10th 2002, 9:54 am
Pat
Forum Regular

Pat is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Dave&Becca:
Hi Kieron.

Dave/Becca, I had to get two stat decs done last week at a solicitors plus certified copies for my house sale. They came to the grand total of £10 for the stat decs and the copies were free. There is apprently a set rate of £5 per stat dec
Pat
Old Oct 10th 2002, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

etlniwd is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the 888 Stat Dec Forms can be used over in the UK or are they for use in Australia only?
I was in the same boat. Nobody could give me a straight answer so I used them anyway. No problem, they were accepted and I now have my visa.