Wikiposts

De Facto Sponsorship

Old Sep 3rd 2004, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Derk is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation De Facto Sponsorship

My partner (Oz Citizen and will be my sponsor) and I are both currently resident in the UK.

I am a little confused about the sponsorship details. Does my partner have to secure a job in Oz before we move there? Will my own ability to take care of myself financilaly be taken into account?

Any advice this forum can offer would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 1:46 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: De Facto Sponsorship

Originally Posted by Derk
My partner (Oz Citizen and will be my sponsor) and I are both currently resident in the UK.

I am a little confused about the sponsorship details. Does my partner have to secure a job in Oz before we move there? Will my own ability to take care of myself financilaly be taken into account?

Hi,

Your partner doesnt have to have a job in OZ before they sponsor you. I think a group certificate/payslip etc are asked for, but this can be for any job, in any country.
You are asked how much you will be taking across, but there is no minimum amount that I am aware of. Some people have gone across with very little. In my application I sent a copy of my CV, a screen print from Seek & a reference from an employer in Brisbane during my time here on a WHV, as means of demonstrating employability.

You'll need forms 40SP & 47SP from www.immi.gov.au and have a look at Booklet One for partner migration as well. This'll give you a good idea of what you do and don't need for the process. Asking specific questions on here is also a good way to get info.

Cheers
Old Sep 4th 2004, 2:18 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems British, Canadian and US applicants get little hassle with regards to financially being able to support oneself. My partner who sponsored me had no job in Oz because she was working in the UK and DIMIA did not bat an eyelid. I stated we were bringing over $14,000 and that we would be living with the mother in law.

In the rare event that DIMIA do think you are at risk of claiming benefits they will ask you for an assurance of support (AOS). Do not offer one as they are rarely asked for at the London AHC.

Mlbonner has pointed you at the correct documents. Good luck.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:46 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
It seems British, Canadian and US applicants get little hassle with regards to financially being able to support oneself.
And I hasten to add Singaporeans (including some Singapore permanent residents) to your list of distinguished nationalities

Peter
Old Sep 4th 2004, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ptlabs
And I hasten to add Singaporeans (including some Singapore permanent residents) to your list of distinguished nationalities

Peter
I am sure there are more nations Peter just very few people from them post here.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: De Facto Sponsorship

Thanks for the advice.

One more question. My partner's employer in the UK has asked my partner to stay working for them even though he will be living in Oz. This will, however, mean regular travel back to the UK for short periods.

Do you think this will be agreeable to the DIMIA?

Thanks again.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the advice.

One more question. My partner's employer in the UK has asked my partner to stay working for them even though he will be living in Oz. This will, however, mean regular travel back to the UK for short periods.

Do you think this will be agreeable to the DIMIA?

Thanks again.
When your visa is issued it will be a sub class 100 migrant visa (which gives immediate PR on validation) or a sub class 309 provisional spouse visa which gives you a temporary spouse visa on arrival. 100s are given to partners whose relationship is over 5 years old (2 years where children are involved).

If you are granted the sub class 100 I doubt DIMIA will be interested in either of you after arrival. If you are granted a 309 you will have to provide all the evidence again 2 years after application in the UK. Short periods on business in the UK should not matter however living apart permantely would probably raise alarm bells.
Old Sep 4th 2004, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for your valuable advice!