British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   De facto (Partner) Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/de-facto-partner-visa-935908/)

Rance1994 Nov 29th 2020 4:51 pm

De facto (Partner) Visa
 
Hello!

Probably been answered a few times but hard to see the wood through the trees on this page.

I've been with my partner a year and plan to start applying for a partner visa next year, from the UK. What is the timeline to PR?

My understanding is that it takes up to 2 years to get a temp partner visa approved, you then move and spend 12 months in Aus (to prove the relationship) and then your PR visa is approved, totalling about 3 years from the point of application...

Thanks!

TeeTMI Nov 29th 2020 9:03 pm

Re: De facto (Partner) Visa
 
Hi Rance1994 Welcome to the Forum

Processing times vary considerably over time and by individual. For example the times we see now relate to people who applied e.g. 2 or 3 years ago when processing times may have been about 12 months. Recently processing times had been extending towards 3 years but a recent allocation of places and change in policy for some people is likely to result in some reductions.
If you are looking to move to Australia swifter then other strategies might suit you better?
All the best - if you are looking for assistance with the process from a Registered Migration Agent please feel free to contact me.

Rance1994 Nov 29th 2020 9:08 pm

Re: De facto (Partner) Visa
 

Originally Posted by TeeTMI (Post 12941105)
Hi Rance1994 Welcome to the Forum

Processing times vary considerably over time and by individual. For example the times we see now relate to people who applied e.g. 2 or 3 years ago when processing times may have been about 12 months. Recently processing times had been extending towards 3 years but a recent allocation of places and change in policy for some people is likely to result in some reductions.
If you are looking to move to Australia swifter then other strategies might suit you better?
All the best - if you are looking for assistance with the process from a Registered Migration Agent please feel free to contact me.


So does this mean that from the point of applying for any visa to the time of PR is roughly 3 years (depending on a lot of factors). Are you able to type out a simple timeline?

Thank you :)

Paul Hand Nov 30th 2020 6:24 am

Re: De facto (Partner) Visa
 

Originally Posted by Rance1994 (Post 12941108)
So does this mean that from the point of applying for any visa to the time of PR is roughly 3 years (depending on a lot of factors). Are you able to type out a simple timeline?

Thank you :)

You are eligible for the permanent (subclass 100) visa 2 years after you submit the initial combined 309/100 application. This also takes time to process. As Tee says, processing times are even more random than usual at the moment and it’s impossible to predict how long an application lodged next year, and the permanent visa processing 2 years after that, will take to process. Three years from application to permanent visa is at the optimistic end of the ballpark at present but it’s a moving target.

Rance1994 Nov 30th 2020 8:02 am

Re: De facto (Partner) Visa
 
So the timeline would look something like:

Apply for Visa > Processing Time > Approved Temp' Visa > Wait 2 years > Processing Time for Permanent Visa > Approved PR Visa?

Paul Hand Nov 30th 2020 9:38 am

Re: De facto (Partner) Visa
 

Originally Posted by Rance1994 (Post 12941191)
So the timeline would look something like:

Apply for Visa > Processing Time > Approved Temp' Visa > Wait 2 years > Processing Time for Permanent Visa > Approved PR Visa?

Yes - although the wait time 2 years is from the initial application, not the approval of the temp visa.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:54 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.