Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Daughters dad to become citizen, we are PR but in UK

Wikiposts

Daughters dad to become citizen, we are PR but in UK

Old May 11th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

taylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant futuretaylor25 has a brilliant future
Default Daughters dad to become citizen, we are PR but in UK

Hi,

My ex my daughters father, is set to do the citizenship very soon as has now completed 4 years as a PR in sydney (on PR visa)
Me and DD lived in oz for 2.5 years and are set to move back now early next year and we still hold PR.

Will my daughter be able to apply for citizenship once we arrive? or will she have to had been there at time he put in for his? (daughter is 7) or does she have to wait till i am a citizen?? Her father is on her birth certifiicate, but she has my name, but we obviously got through visa process to get PR at the time. i am confused (doesnt take much lol)

Its going to take me a while to get citizenship now i am gathering as i would have been gone out of australia for 18 months and it states that you should NOT have spent longer than 1 year outside of australia in last 4 years, so do i have to start the whole 4 year wait over again??

Thank you to anyone who gets what i think i am talking about !
Old May 11th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughters dad to become citizen, we are PR but in UK

[
Migrant with permanent residence
Main content

If you migrated to Australia, have permanent residence, satisfy the residential requirements and are of good character you may be eligible for citizenship.

All applicants, including children under 16 years of age must be permanent residents at the time of application and also at the time we make a decision on your application.

It looks to me as if your ex can apply for the child at the same time as his own..I googled Australian Citizenship & found this...check it out for yourself though....your own process will obviously take longer
Old May 11th 2012, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campervanfan
[It looks to me as if your ex can apply for the child at the same time as his own..I googled Australian Citizenship & found this...check it out for yourself though....your own process will obviously take longer
Depends if the ex is a "responsible parent".

According to Form 1300t (citizenship application form), the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 defines responsible parent in relation to a child as:
  • a parent, unless that parent does not have parental responsibility because of orders made by the Family Court of Australia, or
  • any person having responsibility over the child because of an order made by the Family Court, or
  • any person who has guardianship or custody of the child under an Australian law or a foreign law, whether because of adoption, operation of law, an order of a court or otherwise.
Old May 11th 2012, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taylor25
Its going to take me a while to get citizenship now i am gathering as i would have been gone out of australia for 18 months and it states that you should NOT have spent longer than 1 year outside of australia in last 4 years, so do i have to start the whole 4 year wait over again??
As you currently hold a validated visa, when you return to Australia you will be able to apply after 3 years residence presuming you don't spend any time outside Australia. This is because the 1 year immediately before entering Australia will be considered as the 1 year allowable absence.