Daughter leaving Husband

Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:09 am
Just Joined

Darwin-ite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Daughter leaving Husband

Hi all,

Need some good advice please.... We arrived in Darwin last year, leaving behind my daughter and 2 grandchildren..she is over 21 and is just about to leave her husband...for the 2nd time. She has a sister in the UK who will help her to the best of her ability..but my question is how do i get her over here. As a houswife she has no job qualifications as she has been looking after the kids while her husband has been out .............

Without going into any real detail she says that this is it, she needs to break away. I am more than happy to step up to my obligations and support her where necessary...we love our grandkids dearly and relish the fact that they may be able to get over here....

Where do we start??? Advice please..
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Rodger_lawson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Daughter leaving Husband

Originally Posted by Darwin-ite
Hi all,

Need some good advice please.... We arrived in Darwin last year, leaving behind my daughter and 2 grandchildren..she is over 21 and is just about to leave her husband...for the 2nd time. She has a sister in the UK who will help her to the best of her ability..but my question is how do i get her over here. As a houswife she has no job qualifications as she has been looking after the kids while her husband has been out .............

Without going into any real detail she says that this is it, she needs to break away. I am more than happy to step up to my obligations and support her where necessary...we love our grandkids dearly and relish the fact that they may be able to get over here....

Where do we start??? Advice please..
first thing that comes to mind is Student visa.. may be? might cost more.. but education can actually improve her employability.. and lets her start over.. with confidence.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Rodger is on the money - unless you can get your daughter child out on a permanent visa (she could then have eligibility as a remaining relative) student visa would be the option.

With you living in Darwin (and presumably a permanent resident or due to become one in the next 2 years or so) the student avenue may be the way. She would only need to do a Diploma course but she must study for a minimum of 2 years. After completing the diploma, she would be eligible for a temporary (3 year) Regional sponsored visa - sponsored by you as you live in a Designated area of Australia. To get permanent on this visa, she would then need to live in a designated are for at least 2 years and work in a designated area for at least 12 month full-time. The work requirement is in any job - can be unskilled.

The drawback with studying a 40 point occupation is that she could not apply for the visa and remain in Australia while it is processed - just on the basis of applying for that visa. She could, however, after lodging the Regional visa, then apply for a student Guardian visa if one or both of her children are able to apply for a student visa. She could then stay in Australia while the skileld visa is processed and leave for a week when it is ready to be granted.

This all assumes you ca nafford the 2 years of study, costs for educating children and that father has no objection to them coming to Australia.

If embarking on this course of action, get profesional advice as the diploma must be closely related to one of the 40 point occupations on SOL and you need to be aware of all costs involved.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

I am now a Citizen through ADF. Thanks for the advice at least its a start point. As I said I am more than happy to support her and the children. I will seek professional advice, but thought that someone may have gone through a similar issue.
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

I am now a Citizen through ADF. Thanks for the advice at least its a start point. As I said I am more than happy to support her and the children. I will seek professional advice, but thought that someone may have gone through a similar issue.
Sorry, that first sentence of my previous post is not clear - should read:

unless you can get your other daughter out on a permanent visa (the separated duaghter could then have eligibility as a remaining relative) - otherwise, A student visa would be the option.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by welshtony
Sorry, that first sentence of my previous post is not clear - should read:

unless you can get your other daughter out on a permanent visa (the separated duaghter could then have eligibility as a remaining relative) - otherwise, A student visa would be the option.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Thanks Tony
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the mix - would the ex let her take the children to the other side of the world?

Good luck!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Just to add to the mix - would the ex let her take the children to the other side of the world?

Good luck!
She says that part of the "Big Issue" is that he refuses to grow up and take responsibility for his kids and the relationship. I think he sees my eldest granddaughter as someone who gets in the way..and the youngest is now going from the really baby stage to the imquisitve stage and he cant handle that either... so i a nutshell I think he would have no issues other than to be awkward. When he left her before, I flew her from Cyprus and took care of her and my eldest fro over 7 months with no financial support from him. To be honest and through anger I would love to give him a good kicking as he is breaking my daughters heart...
Old Mar 7th 2009, 6:23 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

She says that part of the "Big Issue" is that he refuses to grow up and take responsibility for his kids and the relationship. I think he sees my eldest granddaughter as someone who gets in the way..and the youngest is now going from the really baby stage to the imquisitve stage and he cant handle that either... so i a nutshell I think he would have no issues other than to be awkward. When he left her before, I flew her from Cyprus and took care of her and my eldest fro over 7 months with no financial support from him. To be honest and through anger I would love to give him a good kicking as he is breaking my daughters heart...
Him finding the kids to be a pain in the neck and signing a statutory declaration saying she can take them out of the country permanently are two entirely different things. DIAC will almost certainly want proof that he does not object to his children living in Australia, so it may be worth looking into that before looking at visas.
Old Mar 7th 2009, 8:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Him finding the kids to be a pain in the neck and signing a statutory declaration saying she can take them out of the country permanently are two entirely different things. DIAC will almost certainly want proof that he does not object to his children living in Australia, so it may be worth looking into that before looking at visas.
Point taken, not been in this position before but I am sure many others have. He shows no affection for the kids at all. He is more than happy for them to come over here for a visit.... as long as he is not paying, but I'm well aware that that is completely different from letting them live here.

Think my daughter just needs to be frank with him and see where we go from there...