Wikiposts

CV & References for Skills Assessment

Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default CV & References for Skills Assessment

Hi

I'm slowly but surely getting references together for my partners skills to be assessed (he's a carpenter). I've been told that I need to put tonnes of detail down for each employment reference, but do I need to do the same for his cv? Each reference will probably end up being about 3 pages long, but can I be less detailed on the cv ie: is it really necessary for me to log the hours he worked etc for each job on his cv?

Also - does anyone know how long the skills assessment stays valid for once it's been approved?

Any sample cv's for Carpenters would be very much appreciated via my private mail box. (cheeky I know, but worth a try :-)!!!

Thanks in advance :-)
Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:52 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CV & References for Skills Assessment

Originally posted by Troood
I've been told that I need to put tonnes of detail down for each employment reference, but do I need to do the same for his cv?
My occupation is different from your partner's, but I'm didn't put any work references into my CV. My detailed work references were supplied as separate documents, one reference for one job. My CV is a compilation of all my skills and projects and job history - not a collection of quotes about me by others

Not sure if this helps though.

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

It does yes, thanks. I've got his cv together, it's a traditional layout ie; school, then lists all of his employers with an overview of what he did with each job. I'm going to type up the references and then get the employers to sign them as I'm worried they won't put enough detail onto it. Did you find that your references were pages long? Have you had your skills assessed successfully?

Originally posted by ptlabs
My occupation is different from your partner's, but I'm didn't put any work references into my CV. My detailed work references were supplied as separate documents, one reference for one job. My CV is a compilation of all my skills and projects and job history - not a collection of quotes about me by others

Not sure if this helps though.

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:21 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> I've got his cv together, it's a traditional layout ie; school, then
> lists all of his employers with an overview of what he did with
> each job.

That sounds like what I did too. My CV was about 2.5 pages long.

> I'm going to type up the references and then get the employers
> to sign them as I'm worried they won't put enough detail onto
> it. Did you find that your references were pages long?

I had a three of references 2 pages long, double spaced. I had another one 1 page long, single spaced. Be objective (I was the goalkeeper of the team, I keep goal and train to not let the ball through my legs), rather than subjective (I was a darn good goalkeeper, and I was cheered everytime I was on the pitch).

> Have you had your skills assessed successfully?

Yup. Way back in June 2002 with the ACS. I submitted a 50-or-so-page package for ACS, and a 500g package to DIMIA later on. I remember because it nearly breached the FedEx envelope weigh limit.

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Blimey - it was that heavy!! Again, thanks for your help. I will write the references as if the employer wrote it so will be as objective as possible. How long does the skills assessment last for do you know?

Sorry - all these questions can be a pain I'm sure!

> I've got his cv together, it's a traditional layout ie; school, then
> lists all of his employers with an overview of what he did with
> each job.

That sounds like what I did too. My CV was about 2.5 pages long.

> I'm going to type up the references and then get the employers
> to sign them as I'm worried they won't put enough detail onto
> it. Did you find that your references were pages long?

I had a three of references 2 pages long, double spaced. I had another one 1 page long, single spaced. Be objective (I was the goalkeeper of the team, I keep goal and train to not let the ball through my legs), rather than subjective (I was a darn good goalkeeper, and I was cheered everytime I was on the pitch).

> Have you had your skills assessed successfully?

Yup. Way back in June 2002 with the ACS. I submitted a 50-or-so-page package for ACS, and a 500g package to DIMIA later on. I remember because it nearly breached the FedEx envelope weigh limit.

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:33 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Blimey - it was that heavy!! Again, thanks for your help. I will write the references as if the employer wrote it so will be as objective as possible. How long does the skills assessment last for do you know?

Sorry - all these questions can be a pain I'm sure!
Yes, it was that heavy The weight included a small 1/4 inch metal clip holding everything together. DIMIA does not like huge staples or ring binders or ring files, btw.

IIRC, if you're assessed positively as a carpenter, you're a carpenter for life as far as DIMIA and TRA are concerned, for better or worse. TRA assessments do not expire, again, if I'm not mistaken.

Not all assessments are valid for life. Some have a 1-year validity (ACS), for instance.

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:38 am
BE Enthusiast

I'm impressed - how do you know all of this!!! I know when it actually gets to the time that I have to send my skills info off to TRA that I'll be worried sick that I've done something wrong, or not provided enough info. on the references etc. Oh well - I've got to go for it otherwise Oz will only be a distant dream!! (Failing that I could use an Agent - but I'd rather try and save some money and I couldn't find one that stood out from the rest!)

Yes, it was that heavy The weight included a small 1/4 inch metal clip holding everything together. DIMIA does not like huge staples or ring binders or ring files, btw.

IIRC, if you're assessed positively as a carpenter, you're a carpenter for life as far as DIMIA and TRA are concerned, for better or worse. TRA assessments do not expire, again, if I'm not mistaken.

Not all assessments are valid for life. Some have a 1-year validity (ACS), for instance.

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:41 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

I'm impressed - how do you know all of this!!!
I think I have too much time on my hands. I just realized I've posted 1,500+ posts here on BritishExpats, hopefully less irritating than PB's posts over the other end

It takes a lot of interest, and a lot of research....

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Ever thought of becoming a Migration Agent and cashing in, ha,ha!

I think I have too much time on my hands. I just realized I've posted 1,500+ posts here on BritishExpats, hopefully less irritating than PB's posts over the other end

It takes a lot of interest, and a lot of research....

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 5:51 am
earlswood

PTLabs,

You're getting a fan base of potential customers!!

You mentioned that your submission to the ACS was 50 pages (WOW). What did this consist of and have you got a framework of how you structured it together.

Many thanks

Earlswood

Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:45 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Originally posted by earlswood
PTLabs,

You're getting a fan base of potential customers!!

You mentioned that your submission to the ACS was 50 pages (WOW). What did this consist of and have you got a framework of how you structured it together.

Many thanks

Earlswood
Hmmm.... well, I do have a framework, but I guess I won't bore you with the details...

All in all, I'm happy to report that neither the ACS or ASPC ever came back to me with any questions at all during both my applications (skills assessment and Skilled Independent). So I guess either they were tired after reading all my junk or didn't want me to send them a 3-page reply to a simple query

Fan base? Let me see if I first have the cash to think about going for the migration agents' course and test.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 2:46 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

Ever thought of becoming a Migration Agent and cashing in, ha,ha!
The thought has crossed my mind, yes. But it's too early for me to decide. I'll need to get my Oz PR first, and then think about when/where to go next

Peter
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

The CV is not a mandatory document for an application for skilled migration. So therefore it does not matter what format it is composed in.

The use of it is that it conveniently brings together an applicant's qualificatoins and work experience including dates so that a case officer can see how they fit in to a time frame. Ditto for the TRA assessment.

The main document are the work references and qualification documents.

Regards

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Steven. I don't suppose you have a template for the information required on the references do you? I have got some information but just want reassurance that I'm covering absolutely everything.

Cheers

Originally posted by Steven O'Neil
The CV is not a mandatory document for an application for skilled migration. So therefore it does not matter what format it is composed in.

The use of it is that it conveniently brings together an applicant's qualificatoins and work experience including dates so that a case officer can see how they fit in to a time frame. Ditto for the TRA assessment.

The main document are the work references and qualification documents.

Regards

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com
Old Apr 7th 2003, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steven O'Neil is an unknown quantity at this point

INSTRUCTIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT REFERENCES

A common requirement for applicants for migration to Australia is the presentation of employment references which support statements from the applicant regarding employment history and skills obtained.

Many of the employment references provided by applicants are not acceptable for migration purposes because they are illegible, unintelligible, not signed by an authorised person or impossible to verify.

It is therefore essential that any employment reference you present in support of your application has the following characteristics:

- the reference must be on the official letterhead of the company or government department;

- the letterhead should indicate clearly the full address of the company and any telephone, telex or fax numbers;

- the name and position of the person authorised to sign the employment reference should be typed or stamped below that person's signature - a reference with illegible signature will not be accepted;

- the contact telephone number of the person writing the reference should be indicated on the letter;

- the letter should indicate the exact period of employment (including whether permanent, or temporary, full- or parttime), positions held, the FIVE MAIN DUTIES UNDERTAKEN and salary earned - positions should not be described by generic titles (eg research officer, public servant) but according to the nature of the duties undertaken (eg research chemist, accounts clerk);

- a payslip from your current employment should also be included - this is especially important for applicants working in government departments.

- If the work is a trade then the following additional information …

- the classification/s in which you were employed ;
- details of the period of employment in each classification (ie dates you started & finished employment);
- a full and detailed description of all work performed in each classification;
- a full and detailed description of the tools, equipment, machines and materials used in each classification.

Regards

Steven O'Neil
Perth
www.iscah.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.