Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Current timeline for medical & police checks

Current timeline for medical & police checks

Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

hunser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Current timeline for medical & police checks

Just wondering if there is actually any harm in waiting for meds and PCCs to be requested before booking them / organising them etc. Is there any deadline / timespan that they need to be returned in that waiting for the process to take its natural course may endanger.

I understand most on this site are so keen to get their visa that they book medicals and send for PCCs in anticipation of them being requested, but I am a bit more relaxed about when I get the visa as the longer I'm working here, the more cash I will have saved to eventually make the move. However, the abundance of 'booked in advance' posts have got me wondering whether I'm missing a potential pitfall somewhere by being so laidback about it all.

Re-assurance of wisdom in my apathy would be appreciated, Paul

Last edited by hunser; Jun 2nd 2005 at 2:19 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:39 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Current timeline for medical & police checks

Originally Posted by hunser
Just wondering if there is actually any harm in waiting for meds and PCCs to be requested before booking them / organising them etc. Is there any deadline / timespan that they need to be returned in that waiting for the process to take its natural course may endanger.

I understand most on this site are so keen to get their visa that they book medicals and send for PCCs in anticipation of them being requested, but I am a bit more relaxed about when I get the visa as the longer I'm working here, the more cash I will have saved to eventually make the move. However, the abundance of 'booked in advance' posts have got me wondering whether I'm missing a potential pitfall somewhere by being so laidback about it all.

i think it's just down to personal choice paul. some people want to go like yesterday, and if there are any shortcuts to cut out some waiting time then people will take them. i get the impression that our agent is going to advise us to wait until they are requested, as they are very methodical and don't like done before they are ready!

it's great that you are so laid back! the unknown waiting time span is the thing that gets to a lot of people, and if you are doing something positive then it might alleviate the pressure a little bit. i think it only cuts off about 5 weeks in the time deal.

if you want to wait until they are requested, great, you have probably got more patience than a lot of people!!

michelle
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hunser

I have to get the medical reports back to Australia by August 10th (requests arrived today). I have just booked my medicals and the soonest I could get was July 12th (unless I travel to the other side of the country) so this leaves 1 month to spare. I would think it is better to get the medicals booked up rather than wait, you can always cancel them later if need be.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by bun
blimey, that was a quick answer.....many thanks

also, if you are using an agent, do they give you the forms, or should i print them off now?

michelle

Our agent sent us forms for meds and xrays. I downloaded pccs. Local police station gave me instructions on this.

Hope this helps
Theresa
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 2:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nicehooperhome is just really nice

Originally Posted by bun
i think it's just down to personal choice paul. some people want to go like yesterday, and if there are any shortcuts to cut out some waiting time then people will take them. i get the impression that our agent is going to advise us to wait until they are requested, as they are very methodical and don't like done before they are ready!

it's great that you are so laid back! the unknown waiting time span is the thing that gets to a lot of people, and if you are doing something positive then it might alleviate the pressure a little bit. i think it only cuts off about 5 weeks in the time deal.

if you want to wait until they are requested, great, you have probably got more patience than a lot of people!!

michelle

Our agent also was not keen on sending meds too quickly. Firstly they advised us to wait until file ref no. was issued. We got this about 1 month after application was sent. They then advised that we book meds to tie in roughly with the date they were about due to be requested.

Theresa
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:18 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hooperhome
Our agent also was not keen on sending meds too quickly. Firstly they advised us to wait until file ref no. was issued. We got this about 1 month after application was sent. They then advised that we book meds to tie in roughly with the date they were about due to be requested.

Theresa
Hi Theresa Yes this is what our agent has done, she said we will get request any day so can book them. She has put the forms in the post so no need to download phew (printer knackered)

Thanks Ang sorted the meds out, cant believe how quick we have X-ray booked for next wed and med booked for next friday

Also receptionist said bloods done at the gps? was quoting the prices of them.

Kay

Last edited by possoms; Jun 2nd 2005 at 4:25 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:22 pm

Paul
No paul not at all, we were the same as they are only valid so long didnt want to be too hasty.

Then decided to put house on market as it seemed slow, expecting it to be up for a good while and then had 2 offers after 10 days!!

Not accepted yet but its on the cards .... so we will be homeless if we dont get ourselves sorted.

Kay
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi Theresa Yes this is what our agent has done, she said we will get request any day so can book them. She has put the forms in the post so no need to download phew (printer knackered)
Kay

When we submitted application, MODL was taking 2-3 months till meds request. So we arranged to have ours done 2 months later.

Alas the process has slowed down somewhat since then, but looks like mine would have been requested about now.

Will be interesting to see how long till I hear visa granted as that hopefully will be next communication.

Theresa
Old Jun 2nd 2005, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

hunser is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies everyone and totally appreciate it's horses for courses regarding urgency and know it's easier for me to be more laid back as I'm the only person involved on my app. I can bearly imagine the extra stress, pressure, consideration required when a whole family are planning to move.

I'm assuming from Keith's reply that DIMIA do put some kind of deadline on how long you have to return the Meds, about 2 months looking at his dates, but reckon I'll cruise until they come and just make sure I get my butt in gear as soon as they are requested.

Anyways, best of luck everyone, any golfers heading Sydney way, pencil me in for 18 next year some time ;-)

Paul
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:09 am

I can bearly imagine the extra stress, pressure, consideration required when a whole family are planning to move.

Paul
Yeah ditto there is only 2 of us going and thats stressfull enough, I also cannot imagine the extra stress of a whole family.

Good luck to you too and all still waiting
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the replies everyone and totally appreciate it's horses for courses regarding urgency and know it's easier for me to be more laid back as I'm the only person involved on my app. I can bearly imagine the extra stress, pressure, consideration required when a whole family are planning to move.

I'm assuming from Keith's reply that DIMIA do put some kind of deadline on how long you have to return the Meds, about 2 months looking at his dates, but reckon I'll cruise until they come and just make sure I get my butt in gear as soon as they are requested.

Anyways, best of luck everyone, any golfers heading Sydney way, pencil me in for 18 next year some time ;-)

Paul
Yes there is a time limit on returning documents once requested. We had our request on 22nd April and was told...

'Note that these details must be provided to your case officer before 01/07/2005.'
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Goodwin
Yes there is a time limit on returning documents once requested. We had our request on 22nd April and was told...

'Note that these details must be provided to your case officer before 01/07/2005.'
I believe that the deadline is 70 days from the assumed date the request arrives with the applicant. With email acks these days it may simply be 70 days from the date of the email. I received a letter as my ack and it had a date on it which was when the CO assumed the letter would have arrived by. By the way, if you happen to need additional time to get the info together the deadline is flexible. You can just email your CO and request an extension to the date and explain why you need the extension. I did this as the AoS CentreLink appointment had about a 2 month lead time on it.

Cheers,
Brian
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:52 am
well wisher 4 all

maku will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Current timeline for medical & police checks

hi Goodwin,

Your time frame and my time frame is matching,

My medical send on 7th april 2005, Pcc send by 27th april. till now no news waiting with prayers..

maku

Originally Posted by Goodwin

Old Jun 7th 2005, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maku
hi Goodwin,

Your time frame and my time frame is matching,

My medical send on 7th april 2005, Pcc send by 27th april. till now no news waiting with prayers..

maku
Fingers crossed for us both for some good news very soon before insanity sets in. Good Luck.