Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Current General Skilled Migration Processing Priorities

Current General Skilled Migration Processing Priorities

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Current General Skilled Migration Processing Priorities

Please realise that whilst I think I am right about anything I say the rest of the world and, more importantly in this case, DAIC may not always agree!

From what I've read and barring any more changes as from July 1st my opinion is that they will continue to process in the same priority order

1. employer sponsored
2. State sponsored
3. CSL
4. MODL
5. Everyone else

Bearing in mind that by that date all cat 1,2 & 3 will have had their entire backlog cleared and be being allocated CO's as the application arrives and cat 4 will be on the way to the same it shouldn't take too long to get to some of the oldest non priority visas.

By the time the MODL backlog has been cleared (no idea how long that will take as I have no idea of the numbers as compared to state or CSL) then surely CO's won't be completely tied up with new incoming priority applications? Presumably they will have some capacity to start eating into the non priority visas queue til they reach the next years cap.

The problem I foresee is that if demand remains equally high for visas whilst the allocation remains static or even goes down the non priority group could take years to reach the top of the list and be processed in the CO's 'spare time'. In that situation I would expect they'd make fewer people eligible eg by raising passmarks/IELTS/skilled experience requirements or changing the points available for different aspects of the test etc

At the end of the day its about Australia getting the skills and people it wants and needs, not about making any of us happy. None of us have a right to a visa or to live in Australia until we earn it or are granted that right according to the rules of the day. Sometimes that will feel fair and other times - it won't!!

Last edited by Safin; Mar 23rd 2009 at 4:15 am.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:40 am
Reg. Migration Agent

George Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond reputeGeorge Lombard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
Please realise that whilst I think I am right about anything I say the rest of the world and, more importantly in this case, DAIC may not always agree!

From what I've read and barring any more changes as from July 1st my opinion is that they will continue to process in the same priority order

1. employer sponsored
2. State sponsored
3. CSL
4. MODL
5. Everyone else

Bearing in mind that by that date all cat 1,2 & 3 will have had their entire backlog cleared and be being allocated CO's as the application arrives and cat 4 will be on the way to the same it shouldn't take too long to get to some of the oldest non priority visas.

By the time the MODL backlog has been cleared (no idea how long that will take as I have no idea of the numbers as compared to state or CSL) then surely CO's won't be completely tied up with new incoming priority applications? Presumably they will have some capacity to start eating into the non priority visas queue til they reach the next years cap.

The problem I foresee is that if demand remains equally high for visas whilst the allocation remains static or even goes down the non priority group could take years to reach the top of the list and be processed in the CO's 'spare time'. In that situation I would expect they'd make fewer people eligible eg by raising passmarks/IELTS/skilled experience requirements or changing the points available for different aspects of the test etc

At the end of the day its about Australia getting the skills and people it wants and needs, not about making any of us happy. None of us have a right to a visa or to live in Australia until we earn it or are granted that right according to the rules of the day. Sometimes that will feel fair and other times - it won't!!
Hi Edwina,

I think the problem is that category 2 is going to swell astronomically just as long as there are places on the state lists. The fear is that we may never reach category 4 cases unless, as has happened in the past, DIAC deliberately shapes and refines the Minister's policy.

But in this present nightmare scenario a file might be allocated to a case officer who then requests medicals etc but never reaches the point of being able to grant.

Just have to wait and see.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Well there you go guys - an experts opinion - from a man who knows far more than me about it all!

Once you reach a CO why would they not issue a visa - None left in that years allocation or other reasons? In which case wouldn't those people get one immediately at the start of the next year?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

FWe're currently 457 (although at 175 pre grant now, so safe)
Forgive my ignorance but what is 175 pre grant?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

vslamba is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Edwina,

I think the problem is that category 2 is going to swell astronomically just as long as there are places on the state lists. The fear is that we may never reach category 4 cases unless, as has happened in the past, DIAC deliberately shapes and refines the Minister's policy.

But in this present nightmare scenario a file might be allocated to a case officer who then requests medicals etc but never reaches the point of being able to grant.

Cheers,

George Lombard
Do you think they might not able to reach at point at CSL also? As you said state sponsorhip is going to increase like any thing. ... and May be there be a stopping of visa issue... and CSL may never reach ....
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

vslamba is an unknown quantity at this point

One more question is there a quota or limits on which 176 state sponsored visa be issued. If there is no limit I am sure Everyone will rush for 176 and the CSL will never be reached.

I read some where there is 7% of the total seats in the migration program rest all are skilled, else all the seats may be consume by the state sponsored guys and no CSL ... So can anyone confirm the fact , probably george ... or an expert.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

letusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really niceletusenjoy79 is just really nice

Originally Posted by George Lombard
Hi Edwina,

Cheers,

George Lombard
Lets wait and hope that whatever will happen will happen for good coz we don't have any say. and simply can wait for the policies adopted by DIAC
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

Well there you go guys - an experts opinion - from a man who knows far more than me about it all!

Once you reach a CO why would they not issue a visa - None left in that years allocation or other reasons? In which case wouldn't those people get one immediately at the start of the next year?
you would think so as there is no work to be done to the 175 that's just sitting for grant!!! which is exactly my case

but i dont think they're processing any 175 at all.. until all CSL & SS are cleared?!?!!?!? which is... GOD ONLY KNOWS WHEN!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Forgive my ignorance but what is 175 pre grant?
I have a 175 assessed and ready but have to go offshore in order for it to be granted as they can't grant it whilst I am in australia. So they issue a pre grant letter to say they are ready for your to travel and asking for your itinery.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

essex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really niceessex2sydney is just really nice

I have a 175 assessed and ready but have to go offshore in order for it to be granted as they can't grant it whilst I am in australia. So they issue a pre grant letter to say they are ready for your to travel and asking for your itinery.
It better get to number 4 as that's where I am
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

ianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud ofianhutch1 has much to be proud of

Aaahhh gotcha, didnt realise the terminology for it, congratulations