Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Criminal record / Offences -Application discriminated?

Criminal record / Offences -Application discriminated?

Old Sep 10th 2002, 11:36 am
N Belt

Default Criminal record / Offences -Application discriminated?

Some 8 years ago I was convicted and fined by the Courts for some minor offences (no
imprisonment involved), anyone out there have any similar situations? Just wondering
whether the Aussies will penalise me for this aberration and refuse my application.
I'm quite sure the police certificate will show this record Advices needed....

Old Sep 10th 2002, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Criminal record / Offences -Application discriminated?

I was convicted around ten years ago for common assault (stupid kiddie banter) and was given a fine, no conviction. I thought this would effect my chances of getting my PR visa but took the chance and went ahead with it anyway. I recieved my visa around a month ago and we (my new wife and I) are off at the start of Jan 2003. I am sure the folk in Adelaide will use common sense, if you have a small conviction that happened when you were a wee'an you'll be fine. Good Luck

shamer
Old Sep 10th 2002, 4:47 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Criminal record / Offences -Application discriminated?

Originally posted by N Belt:
Some 8 years ago I was convicted and fined by the Courts for some minor offences (no
imprisonment involved), anyone out there have any similar situations? Just wondering
whether the Aussies will penalise me for this aberration and refuse my application.
I'm quite sure the police certificate will show this record Advices needed....
No worries - your offences were too minor, according to the guidelines which you can check for yourself at www.dimia.gov.aus