Crashed car today - police checks??

Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

sm79 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Crashed car today - police checks??

Hi,

I was in a car crash today with one other vehicle which was basically my fault. Pulled up to junction, checked for oncoming traffic etc, couldn't see any traffic except for a queue of waiting to turn right, pulled out...in front of a car and it smashed into me. Police said it looks like my vision was obscured by the queue of traffic waiting to turn from the other direction and sun glare, but that I will be charged with careless driving as I pulled into the other cars path.

Thankfully noone was injured (although both cars written off) and the very nice police officer said that she didn't think much would come of it as I have never had any contact with police (cautions, offences or accidents) and I would likely get a letter from the procurator fiscal and that will be the end of it. Worst case scenario is that I'll be cited to court (with whatever 'punishment' that may bring) and I'm now terrified it will affect police checks for migration when the time comes.

I think my level of obession with moving to Oz was evidenced by the fact that immediately following the crash my thoughts were:

1. Are the occupants of the other car ok
2. Am I ok
3. Will this affect getting into Oz!!!

I'm hoping it's a trivial matter with regards immigration but I was just hoping someone with more knowledge could put my mind at rest.

Thanks
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Crashed car today - police checks??

If you end up with a conviction, I think you will be required to declare it but they are mainly concerned with convictions resulting in jail time of over 12 months. If you wait until the outcome of the incident and you can then decide whether to consult a migration agent if necessary.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

Oh and I am glad you were all unhurt
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:28 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sm79
Hi,

I was in a car crash today with one other vehicle which was basically my fault. Pulled up to junction, checked for oncoming traffic etc, couldn't see any traffic except for a queue of waiting to turn right, pulled out...in front of a car and it smashed into me. Police said it looks like my vision was obscured by the queue of traffic waiting to turn from the other direction and sun glare, but that I will be charged with careless driving as I pulled into the other cars path.

Thankfully noone was injured (although both cars written off) and the very nice police officer said that she didn't think much would come of it as I have never had any contact with police (cautions, offences or accidents) and I would likely get a letter from the procurator fiscal and that will be the end of it. Worst case scenario is that I'll be cited to court (with whatever 'punishment' that may bring) and I'm now terrified it will affect police checks for migration when the time comes.

I think my level of obession with moving to Oz was evidenced by the fact that immediately following the crash my thoughts were:

1. Are the occupants of the other car ok
2. Am I ok
3. Will this affect getting into Oz!!!

I'm hoping it's a trivial matter with regards immigration but I was just hoping someone with more knowledge could put my mind at rest.

Thanks
Are you going to be charged with a criminal offence? If so then yes you must declare it as it will show up on your police clearance anyway. If not then it has no bearing on your application at all.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 10:31 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps stating the obvious, but being "at fault" is not the same as a criminal charge of driving without due care and attention and do not speak to the police without a lawyer present.

In other words, don't incriminate yourself and remember that for many purposes, a caution is simply an expedited guilty plea.
Old Jan 30th 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

capetosydney will become famous soon enoughcapetosydney will become famous soon enough

Trivial matter, should not affect application or character check whatsoever IMHO, but do declare it though.