cost of living

Old Mar 12th 2001, 11:11 am
Mark & Jackie Higgins

according to the DIMA site it yakes A$700 a week for a family of 3 to live in oz, can
anyone tell me if this is correct ? also without mortgage or rent can anyone give me a
rough idea of what it would cost for a family of 5 to live

Old Mar 12th 2001, 10:09 pm
Russell Driver

>
    >
rent
    >
    >
    >

It depends upon which city and suberb you are living in.Adelaide is much cheaper to live
in than say Sydney. George Lombard has a good cost of living comparator on his site + tax
calaculator. Without mortgage or rent it can be very cheap to live - even thoughI notice
things have gone up a lot since we moved here -petrol in 97 was 63c/litre - now 95c/litre
- veg seems to have doubled due to the floods in QLD.

Russell

--
There are three types of people in this world

Those who can count -- -- and those who cannot.

Old Mar 12th 2001, 11:46 pm
susi & kev

Hi Mark & Jackie,

we are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids (4, 9 and 12 years old) and have weekly average
expenses of about 300 $A (rent or mortgage not included, also not the school costs like
books, uniforms, etc.):

everything is calculated per week:

Kindergarten Fee: 28.00 Food, Drinks, Household 150.00 Petrol (don't drive so much) 50.00
Cigarettes 30.00 Internet 5.00 Water 10.00 Phone 20.00 Gas 5.00 Electricity 15.00 is a
TOTAL OF $A 312.00 per week

so you see, it is not that much, but it depends on where and how you live. We live in the
south of Melbourne and have a low life standard.

Hope that helps Susi

>
    >
rent
    >

Old Mar 13th 2001, 12:37 am
Helena

>
    >
rent
    >

These are our weekly essential expenses from one of my budget spreadsheets:

Car Insurance $9.37 Car Registration $7.55 House Contents Insurance $6.44 Building
Insurance $4.00 Water rates $14.47 Water usage $5.82 Council rates $14.80 Optional
Recycling $0.68 Gas $4.96 Electricity $18.05 Telephone (includes LD) $18.28 Internet $6.50
Health Insurance $12.83 Petrol $37.50 Transit pass $15.75 School $18.50

Total: $195.50

We have one car with maximum safe driving discount for insurance, my husband takes the
train/bus to work, two kids in public school (one yr 7, one yr 9), 4bdrm house with
electric hotwater, gas cooking & heating, a/c, pool with solar heating, clothes line for
most clothes drying. School expense includes fees, supplies, excursions & uniforms. Health
insurance is top cover for optical/dental/etc & 2nd best hospital cover. All your other
expenses depend on personal tastes and lifestyle. If I included all our other expenses,
just over $620/wk would be about right for us. That would include food, entertainment,
clothing, household items & maintenance, garden, pool, dog, newspapers/magazines, mobile
phone, etc.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Mar 14th 2001, 7:07 am
Rob McCulloch

I think the information you have been given by other people is probably more
helpful Mark and Jackie.. And the DIMA figure (which would have to be 'after
tax') would extrapolate to a before tax income of about $Au45k per annum. My
recollection is that this figure exceeds the national average for all wage and
salary earners! So ......

BoB

Mark & Jackie Higgins wrote: