Wikiposts

Is it cos i is Welsh

Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Paulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nice
Default Is it cos i is Welsh

Sorry if this questions been posted on here before but besides being born here and living here for the past 42 years is it correct that i have to sit the IELTS English language exam to prove that i can speak English ??
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it cos i is Welsh

Originally Posted by Paulie H
Sorry if this questions been posted on here before but besides being born here and living here for the past 42 years is it correct that i have to sit the IELTS English language exam to prove that i can speak English ??

Not entirely, you have to sit the IETLS test to get extra points. If you don't need the points then you don't have to sit it.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Tracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to allTracey O is a name known to all

My other half was born in India and came over here when he was 4. He had all his schooling in the UK, plus his parents only speak english, so he knew no other language, and still had to sit the test.

It was easy peasy. And got all points needed. He only missed one speaking question, and that's because they spoke too fast.

It's just another way to wheedle dosh out of you.

As for the extra points, I don't think thats true. Rog had more than enough points, and still had to sit it. Mind you this was Oct 06, not sure if this has changed since. The whole point is to prove that you have competant english speaking and reading.

Good Luck

Tracey
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Paulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nicePaulie H is just really nice

Thanks Wendy , it just seems a bit stupid that's all
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

It's just another way to wheedle dosh out of you.

Thanks Tracey O I'm a multi millionaire anyway (spot the lie !)
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It only came in on 1st September, before that you wouldn't have had to sit it. For some people it gives them the chance to apply for a visa where they wouldn't normally have made the points before.

It's all worth it in the end
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Some skills assessment require the IELTS test, OH didn't need it for his points level post Sept but had to the academic test for part of Pharmacy Skills Assessment.

But yes, someone is making alot of money out of this!

Sam
Old Nov 26th 2007, 2:03 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's not stupid at all, when you consider the fact that many English speakers do not read or write English to an acceptable professional standard.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

welshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond reputewelshtony has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's not stupid at all, when you consider the fact that many English speakers do not read or write English to an acceptable professional standard.
Maybe in England Jeremy, but not from the land of Dylan Thomas. Being from Wales should be an automatic 25 points.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
Old Nov 26th 2007, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

suesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of lightsuesk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by welshtony
Maybe in England Jeremy, but not from the land of Dylan Thomas. Being from Wales should be an automatic 25 points.

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
couldnt agree with u more

Good luck to op

Suexx
Old Nov 26th 2007, 8:34 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshtony

Regards

Tony Coates
MARN 0635896
LOL Tony.......well said (hubby sat the IELTS and had overall score of 9)
Beth x x
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:10 pm
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

In one way I can see that it seems a bit 'odd' but then how many people do you come across on a daily basis (especially in London), many of whom were born and bred in the UK but can barely string a sentence together? I think the Aussie government are absolutely right in bringing this in, I wish the UK government would do the same. I'm fed up getting trying to make myself understood in the bank/with BT/in the samdwich shop because so many people here barely speak the language. This is not at all meant in a racist way, but I wouldn't expect to move to France and not have at least competent French!

T
Old Nov 27th 2007, 11:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The title of the thread backs this up perfectly.