Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Paying in London is a fixed exchange rate until 01/07/10 of $1.70 to £1. You can pay with a UK bankers draft because you will know the required amount. You pay a variable amount in Perth depending on the day and your c.c. charges. The difference between them at the moment is very close.
Hi got $1.76 from OzForex this morning and bank to bank transfer easy.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

suefb is an unknown quantity at this point

We found it very easy to pay by bankers draft to London, I just downloaded the forms and completed and posted off by special delivery. The difference in the rates was very little.

suefb
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:36 am

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

At the moment you'd get a rate of around $1.75 = £1.00. As Les mentions the "London option" rate is fixed at 1.70 ish until the end of this month, so there would be an advantage of £500 (give or take) on the single applicant VAC to buying the dollars and paying Perth in dollars. However it is dynamic and volatile in these times. Worth monitoring and then deciding based on your own circumstances (for example, where your money is and what currency it's in at the moment).

Good luck

Steve
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sandch
At the moment you'd get a rate of around $1.75 = £1.00. As Les mentions the "London option" rate is fixed at 1.70 ish until the end of this month, so there would be an advantage of £500 (give or take) on the single applicant VAC to buying the dollars and paying Perth in dollars. However it is dynamic and volatile in these times. Worth monitoring and then deciding based on your own circumstances (for example, where your money is and what currency it's in at the moment).

Good luck

Steve
It is odds on that the Aus gov will drop rate by x amount in July so paying in London will look doubtful again. They seem to have dropped by 15 cents each time they have reset the rate over the last year.

If you have an Oz account you could buy today at around $1.75 and deposit that in your Oz account, then pay from that account to Perth. If 5cents is worth £500 each could be worth having.

Visa offering $1.744 after 1% transaction fee at midday.

Last edited by Les Avalook; Jun 7th 2010 at 11:28 am.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by suefb
We found it very easy to pay by bankers draft to London, I just downloaded the forms and completed and posted off by special delivery. The difference in the rates was very little.

suefb
The rates change every day so it would be possible on the day you paid there was little difference, today things have improved against payment in London, however would agree that payment to London by bankers draft is easy, but a grand is a grand.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

frizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nicefrizzy1 is just really nice

Thanks all for your replies.

The rates were at £1.76 today which saves £1,000 against DIAC's set rate so have decided to transfer our money to Oz now and, when requested, pay via Australia rather than via London.

Hey a grand will at least cover one flight out there (or lots of wine )
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by frizzy1
Thanks all for your replies.

The rates were at £1.76 today which saves £1,000 against DIAC's set rate so have decided to transfer our money to Oz now and, when requested, pay via Australia rather than via London.

Hey a grand will at least cover one flight out there (or lots of wine )
$1.78 now so no rush.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 6:52 am

$1.78 now so no rush.
$1.75 this morning
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

$1.75 this morning
Visa say allowing for Nationwide 1% charge, $1.78 today, not practical for large amounts and http://www.exchange-rates.org/currentRates/P/GBP show $1.77 which I take as mid price plus fees. Working on $1.75 looks firm.

Every 5 cents the £ gains is worth £500 per person on the second vac payment, so the move from $1.70 is still useful.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

johnschofield10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Visa say allowing for Nationwide 1% charge, $1.78 today, not practical for large amounts and http://www.exchange-rates.org/currentRates/P/GBP show $1.77 which I take as mid price plus fees. Working on $1.75 looks firm.

Every 5 cents the £ gains is worth £500 per person on the second vac payment, so the move from $1.70 is still useful.
Hi,

Sorry about this question but we are getting close to being asked to pay the 2nd VAC. I am aware that you can pay in London with your UK Debit/Credit card but can you pay direct to Perth using your UK Debit/Credit card?

John
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by johnschofield10
Hi,

Sorry about this question but we are getting close to being asked to pay the 2nd VAC. I am aware that you can pay in London with your UK Debit/Credit card but can you pay direct to Perth using your UK Debit/Credit card?

John
Yes you can John.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

johnschofield10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can John.
Thanks for that Steve, best get the account loaded then!! Fingers crossed!!

John
Old Jun 8th 2010, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

SharonBeckett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We have just got our 176 visa (hurray!) but are now wondering how to get my Mum and Dad out to Oz too. My sister already lives in Sydney. We figure the best way is the Contributory Parent visa. It seems so expensive but I am told the waiting list is about 2 yrs (as opposed to 10 yrs on non-contributory). Is this right? Also, I believe they will need someone to act as Assurance of Support. Seems a bit much when the visa is so expensive in the first place. The Assurance of Support would have to be given by my sister. To what extent do they look in to her finances? How well-off does she have to be? Also, one other thing, what is the difference between contributory parent and aged contributory parent??

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

audie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really niceaudie123 is just really nice

Just a quick note to say thank you to all who commisserated with me over the rejection of our 143.

Also, thank you to those who suggested that I contact gollywobbler - she is indeed a mine of information

good luck to all and I will be back with any info I receive from our co.

this is a great forum .........................audie
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:03 pm

sirmatt101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by audie123
Just a quick note to say thank you to all who commisserated with me over the rejection of our 143.

Also, thank you to those who suggested that I contact gollywobbler - she is indeed a mine of information

good luck to all and I will be back with any info I receive from our co.

this is a great forum .........................audie
Hang on in there Audie & best of luck

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.