Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Old Oct 15th 2010, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Nigella was doing some wicked things with Marmite on her show last night.

Hope you didn't miss it Matt.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

freddiem is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my co today ack last june 25th.Been waiting 5 years,long story.My wife and i decided many months ago we were not going to pay a crazy amount of money to the oz government and get nothing for it. This decision was made only because of the terrible exchange rate and apart from the fantastic weather not much different from the uk.Tried it in 2007 for a year on mornington penninsula fabulous weather but now house prices and utilities have gone crazy.We just dont want to give away tens of thousands of pounds for the visa and tens of thousands because of the rubbish rate. spoke to moneycorp in london,they say will be no improvment for years.we will get the same visa as our last visit and stay for two years as we wish.This is my honest view of things out there but good luck to you people who decide to spend all that money,if money was not the problem i would be in oz over the uk anytime.Three months ago my wife found a very small lump when having a shower,next friday she starts 3 weeks of radiotherapy in both breasts.Has been told she is clear.this was after we decided not to go,friends and family have been brilliant.my wife keeps saying what if she had been in oz .my reason for writing about the cancer is could you cope out there without friends and family.Also 5 years of two lots of pills at a cost of thousands,would the oz gov pay? freddiem
Old Oct 15th 2010, 1:02 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by freddiem
Just got my co today ack last june 25th.Been waiting 5 years,long story.My wife and i decided many months ago we were not going to pay a crazy amount of money to the oz government and get nothing for it. This decision was made only because of the terrible exchange rate and apart from the fantastic weather not much different from the uk.Tried it in 2007 for a year on mornington penninsula fabulous weather but now house prices and utilities have gone crazy.We just dont want to give away tens of thousands of pounds for the visa and tens of thousands because of the rubbish rate. spoke to moneycorp in london,they say will be no improvment for years.we will get the same visa as our last visit and stay for two years as we wish.This is my honest view of things out there but good luck to you people who decide to spend all that money,if money was not the problem i would be in oz over the uk anytime.Three months ago my wife found a very small lump when having a shower,next friday she starts 3 weeks of radiotherapy in both breasts.Has been told she is clear.this was after we decided not to go,friends and family have been brilliant.my wife keeps saying what if she had been in oz .my reason for writing about the cancer is could you cope out there without friends and family.Also 5 years of two lots of pills at a cost of thousands,would the oz gov pay? freddiem
I'm sure you echo the feelings of many, Freddie, and our very best wishes to your wife for a full recovery.

I would just caution anyone to take any comments from currency traders with a truckload of salt. We might just as well check tea leaves. To borrow a Manuel phrase, when it comes to the future they "know nothing". If they can predict the future, why are they answering phones to the likes of us? Amongst other things such as political tinkering, the market is driven by (a) interest rate diferentials - simple maths here - and (b) human sentiment. The latter, even at fund trader level is the really volatile one which makes predictions so, well, impossible.

Having said all that, it is a fact that the rate (today) is about as crap as it could be and there is no news (today) that gives cause for optimism.

All the very best.

Steve
Old Oct 15th 2010, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sandch
This is the problem with agents - you don't know what a CO would say. However I can sort of understand that stance because the rate may never improve. You could say you have a deposit maturing in (x) days (eg 30 whatever you think you can get away with) and would it be OK to send the funds then?

Good luck anyway!

Cheers

Steve
Did as you suggested but went straight to CO by email which seems to have upset our Agent. However, we now have an extension until the end of November, so we can breathe again and hopefully things will improve.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by charlie5
Hi

Not used Quantas premium economy but I have heard good reports of it. Reputedly one of the best?

We regularly use BA premium economy and would not go back to basic economy.

Charlie
Thanks, will have a look at that.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pemajoka
Visiting the family in Perth in December and will be there for first part of christmas if anyone fancies a meet of the PIP's. We will be in Ridgewood but if all are scattered how about kings park one sunday???
Bet you are really looking forward to that. Unfortunately we don't think we will be over till maybe next June.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Barbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to allBarbaran is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Agree, like in Disney World you can pay more to jump the queue, nothing more, same ride.
Hi Les,

Its probably the only time in our lives where money can buy extra time with the family and so worth it. OK so its a lot of money - you can't take it with you and there will be no "What ifs" and sliding into old age with a meagre pension being paid into the bank and staying in our little boxes for at least 6 months of the year due to unpredictable wrapped up in a "Snuggly" cos of the heating bills. I could go on...... yes we will have to still have private medical insurance (cheaper than here) but the medical attention we have experienced as a family is far superior than in the UK and we will probably live longer and experience a far happier time in our senior years. The glass is definitely half full and preferably with Aussie Shiraz.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sandch
I'm sure you echo the feelings of many, Freddie, and our very best wishes to your wife for a full recovery.

I would just caution anyone to take any comments from currency traders with a truckload of salt. We might just as well check tea leaves. To borrow a Manuel phrase, when it comes to the future they "know nothing". If they can predict the future, why are they answering phones to the likes of us? Amongst other things such as political tinkering, the market is driven by (a) interest rate diferentials - simple maths here - and (b) human sentiment. The latter, even at fund trader level is the really volatile one which makes predictions so, well, impossible.

Having said all that, it is a fact that the rate (today) is about as crap as it could be and there is no news (today) that gives cause for optimism.

All the very best.

Steve
I so agree Steve, nobody knows what will happen when. We only need a blip of exchange rates to rise and we will all ride the wave as and when it happens.
Old Oct 15th 2010, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Bet you are really looking forward to that. Unfortunately we don't think we will be over till maybe next June.
Hopefully there will be a few of us there by then so look forward to Kings Park and the Pips....
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:40 pm
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

I sympathise with Freddie's view but still think its worth having a go...hope he's wrong about the exchange rate though! (Currency traders are notoriously unreliable, I hear...)

Only two above me on the tracker..though quite a big time gap so I guess it will be still several weeks till I get the coveted CO.

Just to hurry things along, I've done my police certificate and updated Form 80-can someone tell me where I send that?

Presumably I attach my file reference but should I send it by courier and if so to which address

thanks in anticipation

Fiz
Old Oct 15th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

framboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really niceframboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hi Les,

Its probably the only time in our lives where money can buy extra time with the family and so worth it. OK so its a lot of money - you can't take it with you and there will be no "What ifs" and sliding into old age with a meagre pension being paid into the bank and staying in our little boxes for at least 6 months of the year due to unpredictable wrapped up in a "Snuggly" cos of the heating bills. I could go on...... yes we will have to still have private medical insurance (cheaper than here) but the medical attention we have experienced as a family is far superior than in the UK and we will probably live longer and experience a far happier time in our senior years. The glass is definitely half full and preferably with Aussie Shiraz.
We agree with Les's analogy, and it it brought a smile to our faces, but we certainly agree with your thoughts, you hit the nail on the head about the fact that you can't take it with you, and family is priceless
Old Oct 15th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

ileay is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=fiz;8920984]I sympathise with Freddie's view but still think its worth having a go...hope he's wrong about the exchange rate though! (Currency traders are notoriously unreliable, I hear...)

Only two above me on the tracker..though quite a big time gap so I guess it will be still several weeks till I get the coveted CO.

Just to hurry things along, I've done my police certificate and updated Form 80-can someone tell me where I send that?

Presumably I attach my file reference but should I send it by courier and if so to which address

thanks in anticipation

Hi Fiz,

You need to wait for your personal CO to be allocated to you. Once that happens your own CO will request your meds, police check and Form 80. I hope this helps.
June
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Barbaran
Hopefully there will be a few of us there by then so look forward to Kings Park and the Pips....
Looks like we will be having a great party Christmas 2011 could even run to a few marmite, er vegemite sandwiches
Old Oct 15th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pemajoka
Looks like we will be having a great party Christmas 2011 could even run to a few marmite, er vegemite sandwiches
Hold on to that thought except the "V and M" sandwiches doesn't quite go with the bubbly!
Old Oct 16th 2010, 6:47 am
fiz
Forum Regular

fiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud offiz has much to be proud of

Thanks June for your reply-

I can certainly wait for the CO but I thought I had read somewhere about sending the police check in advance-I have already done my meds prior to getting a CO, like many others have, so that has been sent to Perth-

should I send the Police check to Perth now, since I have it sitting here on my desk?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.