Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4

Originally Posted by sandch
It is confusing, but I can find no other authoritative material which isn't out of date. I've put the links on gainwave, though a simple calculator would be helpful. The best place for a link is probably in the Wiki, but it would need a short article written to be effective (any volunteers?).

That could then be linked in the signature I suppose.

(PS I think the confusing bit is where the income requirement is racheted up to take account of the additional expenses of any dependent children of the Assurer, which makes sense but does require you to go and find out about Family Tax Benefit rates!)
Thanks Steve, a while back an Agent had a link to a site with a simple calculator, that came up with the wrong answer and added about $10,000 to the assurers income, , so even they can get the information wrong.

In general most CPVs will not have children on their application so that should not change the requirement of income for the assurer. Most male and female Australians in full time work will earn over $36,000 P.A. It only increases earnings if the assurer has children and it is not by too much but again I can't find that figure at the moment. One could say if your assurer earns over $40,000 don't worry and if not read the small print.

P.S. I use a site called the Motleyfool and they cover lots of subjects, but they usually have a link on the side of the screen that covers FAQs. It is useful when you are new to a subject. Top marks to your gainwave for doing that but BrExPt is a lot bigger site and maybe they should do the same.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:35 am
Just Joined

SharonBeckett is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

My Mum and Dad sent their 143 application off this morning! Hauurah! It's on its way to Sydney to my sister and then on to Perth. It should arrive before the 1st July. Thank you to everyone who has helped during this stressful time. My Mum and Dad still can't quite believe they are giving £40,000 ish to the Aussie government. They are pretty gutted about this and still worried about the cost of living in Sydney (northern suburbs). Anyone moved out to that neck of the woods with any advice?
Sharon
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

http://www.acacia-au.com/assurance_of_support.php

there is a calculator for assurance of support income levels at the above link

hope this helps
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

The income test is based on the level of the Newstart Allowance apparently. I've linked some reading material below; when reading these bear in mind that the current rate of Newstart Allowance is 12,033pa.

AoS - Minimum Income Requirements
Income Requirements & Family Circumstances of Potential Assurer
Many thanks, that's the one.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by donovandenese

hope this helps
Thanks donovandenese
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Les Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of lightLes Avalook is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by donovandenese

hope this helps
Thanks for this link, this is the one I refered to earlier and is in fact Incorrect!

You think by now the agent would correct this.

Chinese wispers comes to mind.

Last edited by Les Avalook; Jun 18th 2010 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:14 pm

sandch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Les Avalook
Thanks for this link, this is the one I refered to earlier and is fact Incorrect!

You think by now the agent would correct this.

Chinese wispers comes to mind.
Yes I think you're right Les. They seem to be adding a factor in for the spouse of the assurer which does appear to be incorrect....
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SharonBeckett
Hi,

My Mum and Dad still can't quite believe they are giving £40,000 ish to the Aussie government. They are pretty gutted about this and still worried about the cost of living in Sydney (northern suburbs). Sharon
Cheer them up some more by getting them to work out how much they have given to the Bristish government and they will not even pay the pension at the correct rate.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes I think you're right Les. They seem to be adding a factor in for the spouse of the assurer which does appear to be incorrect....
Yes, and they were doing this last year, if the assurer is married or not it makes no difference to their earnings, the site adds $10,000 p.a. to the wages which are not required. Agents, who'd use them?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

heresoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Just to say that I'm off to Malta tomorrow to spend some time with my family. I will stay there till the 19th of August which is the date that we fly to Australia!
My OH is working till the end of July and then he'll join me in Malta!Which also means that I won't have my laptop with me and therefore won't be able to get o this thread until we get to Australia!
I would like to take this opportunity in saying a big THANK YOU to you Steve for this thread and to everyone else who have been so helpful.
I shall miss you!
All the best to you all.Hang on in there,be patient....it will happen,that dream of yours will come to pass!
Regards
Judy
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

johnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to all

Hi,

My Mum and Dad sent their 143 application off this morning! Hauurah! It's on its way to Sydney to my sister and then on to Perth. It should arrive before the 1st July. Thank you to everyone who has helped during this stressful time. My Mum and Dad still can't quite believe they are giving £40,000 ish to the Aussie government. They are pretty gutted about this and still worried about the cost of living in Sydney (northern suburbs). Anyone moved out to that neck of the woods with any advice?
Sharon
Well done. We'll give them a race to the bottom of the list.
We are also concerned about the cost of housing in the Sydney area.

How long does it take for Perth to acknowledge the application?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by johnemo
Well done. We'll give them a race to the bottom of the list.
We are also concerned about the cost of housing in the Sydney area.

How long does it take for Perth to acknowledge the application?
Hi John
hurrah someone to lean on at last.
house prices in Sidney?, Don't care, More worried about house prices in Perth
On a serious note it takes about 4-6 weeks to get the letter of acknowledgement from the date they receive it
Look forward to interchanging information on this exiting?? journey.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pemajoka
Hi John
hurrah someone to lean on at last.
house prices in Sidney?, Don't care, More worried about house prices in Perth
On a serious note it takes about 4-6 weeks to get the letter of acknowledgement from the date they receive it
Look forward to interchanging information on this exiting?? journey.
Yes, I think the cost of housing is a big worry for all of us. We are also headed to Perth which I believe is quite expensive. We are also worrying about pensions etc and if we will have enough to live on. We have been trying to take some advice re pensions, but it's a question of how long is a piece of string. There are so many variables: house price here, house prices there, shares going up and down affecting pensions, the exchange rate, and the nightmare maze of understanding Australian pensions if we transfer - it's difficult to estimate an actual finite amount.

But I am sure it will all be worth it to be with family, especially as now my son is hoping to move to Oz as well.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

pemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the roughpemajoka is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Yes, I think the cost of housing is a big worry for all of us. We are also headed to Perth which I believe is quite expensive. We are also worrying about pensions etc and if we will have enough to live on. We have been trying to take some advice re pensions, but it's a question of how long is a piece of string. There are so many variables: house price here, house prices there, shares going up and down affecting pensions, the exchange rate, and the nightmare maze of understanding Australian pensions if we transfer - it's difficult to estimate an actual finite amount.

But I am sure it will all be worth it to be with family, especially as now my son is hoping to move to Oz as well.
Hi davenlinda
The following is my own views and thought and cannot be construed as any form of financial advise
Sorry for that but you never know what someone will do with what is said on this site, we are here to share experience. Steve will no doubt back the comment.
Principle difference between Aus and UK is what happens to your pension fund when you retire. If you buy an annuity in the UK the rates are not very good and when both of you have gone to the great place in the sky the annuity company thank you for the large investment in their funds.
An alternative is to "drawdown" your investment, that is take a pension from it whilst leaving the capital in your pension pot. Until this recent change of gov this was only possible till the age of 75 when you HAD to purchase an annuity. Moves are afoot to change this I think so whole life drawdown is possible but no mention has been made as to what happens to the residue of your pension pot.
In Aus my research appears to indicate that most pensions are of the drawdown type but the residue goes into your estate for passing onto your siblings. What rules and regulations are applied to that I do not know, I am still investigating that part.
Drawdown is riskier but gives more control and generally a bigger pension.
You can transfer your funds to an approved Aus superannuation fund (that's what they call pensions) but limits apply as to the overall amount each year, and delays incur tax charges on the increase in value for monies moved after you have been in Aus for more than 6 months.
Lots of info on the IMMI site about tax etc and banks, migration agencies can offer names of pension organizations in Oz who are familiar with this.
One last word of warning, believe nothing till you have heard it from at least 3 sources (I am talking now mainly about anyone trying to sell you anything)
Take your time and don't try and understand it all at once
Have fun
peter
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Vindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Sharon
Hi Sharon,
Good luck with your Mum and Dads application.
Its is a worry to have to pay out such a large amount for the visa's , we now have our visa,s and once we paid out the the 2nd vac payment we were able to accept it and look forward to our move to OZ.
We are just waiting for the house to sell and we will be on our way

Les & Babs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.