Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

JohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really niceJohnDeeHart is just really nice
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Originally Posted by johnemo
I guess this has been asked before but can't find a definitive answer -

Hopefully - if the house sale goes through we'll be on our way soon - hooray!
So, can someone enlighten me about this ridiculous situation about single flights costing more than a return?

Thanks.
Funnily enough, we had the same problem, John & Sue.
Virgin especially, had a markup of 50% on a single flight compared to their return.
When I rang them and suggested I buy a return and tear up the R ticket, they said "that's up to you but can't recommend it" When I asked why, they said " Not our company policy!"
When I said "it it legal?" they said YES, but up to you.
Crazy, isn't it?
Meanwhile we got a much better deal with Singapore Airlines, with an increase of baggage allowance for Emigrants of 100%.
Get it!
John & Eirian
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Smile Contributory Aged Parent Visa progress

Mum arrived on the 6th August and we applied for the visa on the 8th.
Letter received with case officer noted, credit card charged and bridging visa approved on the 13th August!

So glad we took advice from afriend and applied onshore, the whole process looks like it will be much quicker.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Just an update on my Mum's contributory aged Visa resident progress

She arrived 6 Aug sent visa application off 8th Aug, got a letter back with case officer, visa charged and her bridging visa on the 13th!

very fast so far so here's hoping for a smooth quick onshore process.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 6:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Aged Parent Visa progress

Originally Posted by tinaj
Mum arrived on the 6th August and we applied for the visa on the 8th.
Letter received with case officer noted, credit card charged and bridging visa approved on the 13th August!

So glad we took advice from afriend and applied onshore, the whole process looks like it will be much quicker.
Why do you think it will be quicker?
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:09 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

My Mother in Law is coming over on the Contributary Parent Visa (143?) The one with the shorter wait and the higher cost. She is a fair way through her application and has been given April for a decision as a rough time line by her agent.

Now, she is getting on in years (87) and we would like her over here before the next U.K Winter sets in.

My question is:

Is it possible for her to come here on a Tourist Visa and continue her application 'onshore'? Is the CPV a forgone conclusion? What are the chances of her having to return once here? Her agent will not give advice on this, which is a bit of a worry in it's self.

I hope some one can help a bit....thank-you

Jan
Old Aug 26th 2012, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
My Mother in Law is coming over on the Contributary Parent Visa (143?) The one with the shorter wait and the higher cost. She is a fair way through her application and has been given April for a decision as a rough time line by her agent.

Now, she is getting on in years (87) and we would like her over here before the next U.K Winter sets in.

My question is:

Is it possible for her to come here on a Tourist Visa and continue her application 'onshore'? Is the CPV a forgone conclusion? What are the chances of her having to return once here? Her agent will not give advice on this, which is a bit of a worry in it's self.

Jan
She would be able to travel to Australia on a 12 month tourist visa 676. However, as the 143 is an offshore visa she would need to be offshore when the visa is granted so she would need to inform her case officer of her plans and let him know when she is in Australia. She would then need to go offshore for the visa grant. Lots of parents have done this and go off to New Zealand, Singapore or somewhere else for a few days.

The main reason why people are not granted the visa, and I haven't really heard of many but it does happen, is if they don't pass the medical.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

We did the whole visa onshore as a friend did the same and it comes through a lot quicker from this end, rather than in the Uk.
Maybe call and find out if there is anyway of changing it. Maybe she could come over on the tourist visa and then fly to NZ when it is granted??? A few people do that.

Originally Posted by Jan4kids

My question is:

Jan
Old Aug 26th 2012, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

i know people who have done it from this end and it was months quicker than doing it in the UK.

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Why do you think it will be quicker?
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:31 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

i know people who have done it from this end and it was months quicker than doing it in the UK.
What visa subclasses, tinaj?

Best regards.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:33 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

<snip>

Maybe call and find out if there is anyway of changing it.
Once lodged there is no means of changing an offshore CP visa application into an onshore version.

Heading offshore for a few days immediately prior to visa grant will be necessary.

Best regards.
Old Sep 8th 2012, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Timeline
Aged Contributory Parent Visa progress - onshore application

Sent application 8th August
Letter back /fee charged 13th August, bridging visa granted.

30th August got email from Case officer requesting:
medical
AFP check (UK one already sent)
and Assurers of support form

Much much quicker than we expected, had 28 days to do them but
all have been done and sent off this week

Last edited by tinaj; Sep 8th 2012 at 10:29 pm.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Alex997_99 will become famous soon enough

Just an update on my Mum's contributory aged Visa resident progress

She arrived 6 Aug sent visa application off 8th Aug, got a letter back with case officer, visa charged and her bridging visa on the 13th!

very fast so far so here's hoping for a smooth quick onshore process.
Hello Tina,
Was your mum on an ETA or a tourist visa?..676(tourist) would usually have the "no further stay" condition;in which case,one cannot apply for an onshore visa?
Please advise,as we are about to start with the process for my mum as well.

Regards,

Alex.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

She is on a tourist visa. And you can still apply for the aged contributory visa once you are in the country. They just give you a bridging visa to stay once the 3 months runs out.

Originally Posted by Alex997_99
Hello Tina,
Was your mum on an ETA or a tourist visa?..676(tourist) would usually have the "no further stay" condition;in which case,one cannot apply for an onshore visa?
Please advise,as we are about to start with the process for my mum as well.

Regards,

Alex.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

johnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to all

Has anyone looked into the difference in the exchange rate between having state/government pensions paid to Oz bank account directly and doing it yourself from a UK bank account through, say, OzForex?
John
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Timeline
Aged Contributory Parent Visa progress - onshore application

Sent application 8th August
Letter back /fee charged 13th August, bridging visa granted.

30th August got email from Case officer requesting:
medical
AFP check (UK one already sent)
and Assurers of support form

Much much quicker than we expected, had 28 days to do them but
all have been done and sent off this week
Update

Got the final approved visa through a few weeks ago. The whole process was 7 weeks from start to finish!!
Very happy we did it from here.
She has got the Medicare card, drivers licence and her passport has been sent away to be stamped with the visa.

We had an awesome case officer, who had great communication and kept us in touch throughout. Thank you Kieran!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.