Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Old May 19th 2012, 12:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

Mike Lee, I hope you don't mind but I've moved you to this thread as it's where all the info you could want regarding your chance of immigration will be found. Good luck.
Old May 19th 2012, 6:05 am
Just Joined

Mike Lee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Contributory Parent Visa - Part 5 - Visa/Immigration queries only please!!

just apply for the normal 'offshore' six month visa, then whilst on holiday you apply for a six month 'onshore' extention. The info is online with the Aus gov site.
Old May 19th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Im confused looking at the parent Visa's. Whats the difference between them all except some being 4-5k and some 26-45k?

Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 103)

Aged Parent (Residence) visa (subclass 804)

Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 143)

Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

They all look similar to me. Obviously some are temp and some perm, but other than that theres not alot of explaination in difference.
Old May 19th 2012, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Mike Lee is an unknown quantity at this point

all the visa numbers at this are foreign to me at the moment because we are only considering the move at this time. I can tell you though as a rough guide the costs you quote the high amount gives you a shorter route to a permanent parents visa as you are buying into the system with regard to getting bus passes etc the lower amount you go inton a queue with every other imigrant and it can take as long as ten years or more before you get permanency, but once you have the notification of the acceptance of your application you can stay in the country indeffinately until you are notified of your residency and then your sponsors pay the bond of the lesser amount!
freinds of ours actually applied whilst we were there last year they were in their second six months visitors visa and actually received their acceptance so were able to stay. Understandably there are limitations with regard to travel in and out of the country whilst waiting! Hope this is of some help. Mike.
Old May 19th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all
Default Re: Grandad's and grandma's any advice please.

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
How were you allowed to stay for 12 months? I thought it was only 6 months a year that you could 'holiday'.
Not sure if you are in the UK, but when you apply for the 676 visitor visa you have the option of 3, 6 or 12 months. You just need to show that you have funds to support yourself for that time.
Old May 19th 2012, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Im confused looking at the parent Visa's. Whats the difference between them all except some being 4-5k and some 26-45k?

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

They all look similar to me. Obviously some are temp and some perm, but other than that theres not alot of explaination in difference.
The difference is in the time they take to process and whether you can apply offshore or onshore for the visa. If you download Booklet 3 Parent Migration this gives you a comparative overview of the different visas:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

Briefly the differences are:

This is an offshore visa, but there is roughly a 15-20 year wait for visa grant

You can apply for this onshore, but need to be over 65 to do so; not sure how long the processing is for this but it's several years I believe. Risky as you don't have full Medicare rights while waiting for the visa and if you fail the medical you will not get the visa.

This is an offshore visa and the only real option for most parents. The processing time is around 15-18 months but it is expensive.

This is same as the above but allows you to spread the cost as you only have to pay part of the large second VAC and no AOS. It gives you two years in Australia and you have to apply for the 143 before the two year are up if you want a permanent visa. You then pay the remainder of the second VAC and the AOS.
Old May 19th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that everyone..

15-20 years wait! What if they are brown bread before that? Thats ridiculous..
Old May 19th 2012, 11:09 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! ...........But most parents will have a home to release the capital required for the 143

My 87 year old MIL is joining us REAL soon after living in her current home for 60 years............I'm not sure who's more apprehensive myself or her

P.S Dementia runs in the family and she says to me the other night " If you find me walking around naked and confused, just pop me back into bed"

Wish me luck x

P.S.S (If that came across a bit harsh) She's a wonderful lady...strong, intelligent, well read and wise. The journey will be a tough one, but the benefits for all FAR outweigh any bad.

Jan

Last edited by Jan4kids; May 19th 2012 at 11:09 am. Reason: Drunk
Old Jun 4th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Can anyone tell me if any aged concessions are available in S' Australia. Centrelink haven't been very helpful and seem to think that I have to wait 2 years before even travel consessions are offered.
Any information would be appreciated please.

Floss[/QUOTE]

I know I have to sponsor my parent if they wish to come out on this visa, I then undertake to support them for 2 years.
Question is what happens after the 2 years? If my parent 's Uk pension is fixed at 110 pounds per week there is no way that is going to be enough to live on when the Aussie pension is around $350 pw!
Will they be entitled to Centrelink top ups or rent assist once the 2 years has passed??
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tinaj
Can anyone tell me if any aged concessions are available in S' Australia. Centrelink haven't been very helpful and seem to think that I have to wait 2 years before even travel consessions are offered.
Any information would be appreciated please.

Floss

I know I have to sponsor my parent if they wish to come out on this visa, I then undertake to support them for 2 years.
Question is what happens after the 2 years? If my parent 's Uk pension is fixed at 110 pounds per week there is no way that is going to be enough to live on when the Aussie pension is around $350 pw!
Will they be entitled to Centrelink top ups or rent assist once the 2 years has passed??
[/QUOTE]

Access to benefits:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ay_permres.htm

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ly_arrived.htm
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Thanks for the Centrelink links. It says there is 10 year exemption for the Aged Pensions I guess this means they cannot get any pension money for 10 years
Then it goes on to say there is a 104 days wait for any other payment. (but anyway this would be 2 yrs due to sponsorship)
So does this mean, they cannot get their pension money BUT they might be able to get their pension topped up by another benefit?? Or does it mean they are entitled to nothing.
If you are entitled to nothing how do all the pensioners afford to retire here??? Has anyone had experience of trying to claim any benefits?
Thanks for any help.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Julian927 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Access to benefits:

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ay_permres.htm

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ly_arrived.htm[/QUOTE]

We have been over here for 19 months now, both on the UK pension. We called in at Centrelink to see if we would be eligible for the Carbon Tax benefit that all people over 60 will receive. The answer was no, if we are not eligible for the pension and do not have a Commonwealth Health Card. The latter we are not eligible for until we have been here for over 2 years AND one of us is over 65. We meet the latter criteria.
Julie
Old Jun 4th 2012, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did they say you would be entitled to anything after the 2 year period is up?
I would be amazed if every retired parent that comes over has enough money for themselves to live on as the years pass.

We have been over here for 19 months now, both on the UK pension. We called in at Centrelink to see if we would be eligible for the Carbon Tax benefit that all people over 60 will receive. The answer was no, if we are not eligible for the pension and do not have a Commonwealth Health Card. The latter we are not eligible for until we have been here for over 2 years AND one of us is over 65. We meet the latter criteria.
Julie[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

johnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to alljohnemo is a name known to all

I guess this has been asked before but can't find a definitive answer -

Hopefully - if the house sale goes through we'll be on our way soon - hooray!
So, can someone enlighten me about this ridiculous situation about single flights costing more than a return?

Thanks.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:14 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes they do. Just have to search the websites, and if necessary buy a return and only use the outbound part.
Lots of threads in the main Australia forum on flights and sites to use

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.