Wikiposts

Contributory parent visa

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contributory parent visa

It is our intention (both over 65) to apply onshore for the new Aged Parent contributory visa.

My question is, does my wife and I need a special visa to enter Australia to do this or can it be done whilst entering Australia on a normal visitors 3/6 month visa?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributory parent visa

There is no visa that allows you to travel to Australia purely to lodge a different visa application. And the tourist visa is for tourists. It is a bit of a catch 22.

You might very get away with what you are thinking of, but it is a risk and turning up with ten suitcases and a one way ticket would definitely be a bad idea.

Me, I would apply offshore and move when I have my visa.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
There is no visa that allows you to travel to Australia purely to lodge a different visa application. And the tourist visa is for tourists. It is a bit of a catch 22.

You might very get away with what you are thinking of, but it is a risk and turning up with ten suitcases and a one way ticket would definitely be a bad idea.

Me, I would apply offshore and move when I have my visa.
I understood that it is possible to apply for a visa onshore as well as off shore. So how would you enter Australia to apply for the visa onshore? which is one of the options
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael74
I understood that it is possible to apply for a visa onshore as well as off shore. So how would you enter Australia to apply for the visa onshore? which is one of the options
Yes you can apply offshore and onshore. What I am saying is that there is no visa designed specifically for the purpose of lodging another visa when you get here. There are no options other than hoping you won't get caught.

The onshore visas are there for people who are here legitimately and simply decide that they would like to stay. That is why I mentioned don't turn up on a one way ticket and with ten suitcases.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Bermudashorts is correct in that it is not actually legal to travel to Australia with the intention of staying there.

If you go on a tourist visa 600, you may have a 'No Further Stay' condition imposed on it which prevents you from applying for another visa while in Australia. However, I do know of parents who have gone on holiday on an e-visitor visa 651 which doesn't normally have a No Further Stay condition and allows a stay of up to 3 months and while in Australia have decided they would like to put in a CPV onshore. They are then given a bridging visa till their CPV is processed.

There are downsides, however, as you will have the same status as when on your visitor visa so you will only have recourse to the reciprocal health care arrangements and not full Medicare.

In addition you will probably have problems shipping your belongings as the removal companies will need to see evidence of your residence visa. You would also need to book a return flight.

Have you considered applying offshore and then going on a long 12 month holiday to Australia? Once you have put in your application you will be eligible to apply for a three or five year visitor visa which would allow you to visit Australia for up to 12 months in any 18 month period.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

"The onshore visas are there for people who are here legitimately and simply decide that they would like to stay".

Bermudashorts. Does not any visa that allows me to enter Australia constitute being in Australia legitimately?

DaveandLinda. We came to Australia last November for 3 months and received reciprocal health care for that period. You do say you know of parents that have done this and then applied for a CPV onshore but that it may or may not be granted.

Applying for the offshore CPV sounds the better option but because of our advancing years we would not want to travel back and forward to UK too often although a 12 month stay sounds attractive.

Many thanks for the information
Old Jun 24th 2014, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"The onshore visas are there for people who are here legitimately and simply decide that they would like to stay".

Bermudashorts. Does not any visa that allows me to enter Australia constitute being in Australia legitimately?
I am at risk of going round and round in circles here.

There is no visa that allows you to travel to Australia simply to lodge another visa application. Repeating your question is not going to change that. Tourist visas are for tourists, entering on one for any reason other than tourism is not legitimate.

Onshore visas are for people who are legitimately onshore and decide to apply for a different visa. If you were there as genuine holiday makers then you might fit into this category. Travelling to Australia in order to lodge another visa application does not put you into this category. The question is, how will anyone know ... and that is the risk you have to decide whether to take or not.

If you are risk averse, then you apply offshore, wait for your visa and then move.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 24th 2014 at 12:07 am.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bermudashorts. No you are not going round in circles but have just explained things more. Many thanks anyway.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 1:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Onshore visa application facilities are extensively used by those admitted to Australia as students, or temporary workers, etc, who subsequently wish to extend their stay, switch status, or apply for permanent residence.

Those resident offshore, are normally expected to apply offshore. It's not clear why that should be a problem.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have you considered applying offshore and then going on a long 12 month holiday to Australia? Once you have put in your application you will be eligible to apply for a three or five year visitor visa which would allow you to visit Australia for up to 12 months in any 18 month period.

DaveandLinda: Thanks for that, sounds like a good option, well worth considering.

My thanks to all for your advice on this.