contributory parent visa

Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

joantobin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: contributory parent visa

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hello Joan

Under normal circumstances with this class of visa, there is no queue at all but it sounds as though they are now "backing up" with the last ones granted some weeks ago. If you look at the queue date for the end of February there won't be any, and that's because they haven't processed those and allocated a queue date (I believe!)

The 470 at the end of Jan only represents what are currently processed, queued and not yet granted and does not reflect the number that they have issued since 1 July 04.

SarahandMark on the Australia forum has posted a new thread on this to see if someone can come up with the definitive answer but, as Jeremy is invariably correct on this sort of thing, it does indeed look as though there will be no more issued this current year.

Chin up - it will happen.

Jim

Hi Jim
What a blow it wont look so bleak if dimia would send us our med requests least we could be getting on with that ready for july

Joan
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Joan

Under normal circumstances with this class of visa, there is no queue at all but it sounds as though they are now "backing up" with the last ones granted some weeks ago. If you look at the queue date for the end of February there won't be any, and that's because they haven't processed those and allocated a queue date (I believe!)

The 470 at the end of Jan only represents what are currently processed, queued and not yet granted and does not reflect the number that they have issued since 1 July 04.

SarahandMark on the Australia forum has posted a new thread on this to see if someone can come up with the definitive answer but, as Jeremy is invariably correct on this sort of thing, it does indeed look as though there will be no more issued this current year.

Chin up - it will happen.

Jim

Hi Jim

Is it still 1500 places for contributory visas ?????
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:22 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joantobin
Hi Jim
What a blow it wont look so bleak if dimia would send us our med requests least we could be getting on with that ready for july

Joan
Joan

My feeling is that they are holding back on asking you to get your medicals done as you are obliged to validate your visa within 12 months of the date of your medical. If you haven't validated within that period, your visa becomes null and void and you start it all again!!

Therefore they could be doing you a favour in that respect.

Jim
Old Mar 29th 2005, 5:29 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jim

Is it still 1500 places for contributory visas ?????
Joan

I think you are looking at the wrong visa for this figure.

My reading of the DIMIA site is that there are 4,500 for the CP visa but only 1,500 for the standard (11 year+) parent visa. I might be wrong of course but that's how I read it.

I don't think they have issued any allocation figures for the next year (1 July 05 - 30 June 06) yet.

Jim
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Jeremy

Without obviously knowing all the facts, and the cost of medications to the Australian government, I was simply stating that I consider the 2nd VAC for the CP visa, currently at Aud 26K +, sufficient to "buy" a fair amount of standard GP fees and any medication that may be prescribed during the remainder of what I hope will be a reasonably active "retirement". Obviously I agree that applicants should be expected to make a contribution to their possible health costs for later life.

As with all this sort of thing, of course, the visa fee does not take into consideration the current age and medical condition of the applicant ie if you are 55 and healthy, are you likely to cost more in the long run than say someone who is 85, chronically ill and unlikely to live more than another year or so? Presumably, mind you, that second example would not be granted a visa in the first place which, maybe, strengthens my argument?
Standard health requirements apply for the contributory parent visa. But the reality is that given the age profile of applicants, even if healthy now, the majority will incur significant health costs at some stage in Australia (most of us use up a lot of healthcare in the last 6-9 months of life, whenever that is, and that doesn't count life-enhancing work like heart bypasses or hip replacements).

And unlike younger migrants, the average parent visa holder is not going to have a long working/taxpaying career in Australia, and does not have to be 'skilled' in any way.

The AUD26k is a good bargain in my view.

Maybe the figure is set as a "mean average" to cover all eventualities. Who knows!!
That's correct. It is a mean average. Occasionally there's a parent visa applicant aged in mid to late 40s, and the AUD26k is a steep charge in these circumstances, but this balances off against parents in their late 70s or so who may still be relatively healthy but statistically will be likely to make significant use of healthcare in the near future.

As for your 2nd point - it looked as though there was a slowing up of the granting of CP visas as evidenced by some of the other posts on this thread etc, and there being a queue of 470 applications at 31 Jan, and it doesn't surpise me that the quota has been reached after some 8 months of the year. Where do they go from July - decisions, decisions!!
From July, they begin giving visas to queued applicants from 2004/05. But clearly there will have to be more visas allocated in the 2005/06 program otherwise there will be more problems in a year's time.

All that said, the contributory parent visa is still new and it will take a few years before DIMIA can get an idea of what the structural demand for the visa will be. For example, many people with existing queued parent visa applicants may not have 'switched' to contributory in 2003/04 (the first year) but may have decided to do so in 2004/05. This particular demand factor may not be stable in the early years.

As to which VAC will be payable on parent visas queued before July, and granted after July - I don't know off-hand. It would need some digging through the Regs to get a view. The second VAC will be indexed from 1 July and is linked to medical inflation rather than the CPI, so will rise at a faster rate than other visa application costs which usually track general inflation.

Jeremy
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by JAJ
As to which VAC will be payable on parent visas queued before July, and granted after July - I don't know off-hand. It would need some digging through the Regs to get a view. The second VAC will be indexed from 1 July and is linked to medical inflation rather than the CPI, so will rise at a faster rate than other visa application costs which usually track general inflation.

Jeremy
I can say that the 2nd VAC is charged at the rate in force when the application was first lodged, even if the VAC is increased in the July whilst the application is still being processed.

Regards
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:13 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Standard health requirements apply for the contributory parent visa. But the reality is that given the age profile of applicants, even if healthy now, the majority will incur significant health costs at some stage in Australia (most of us use up a lot of healthcare in the last 6-9 months of life, whenever that is, and that doesn't count life-enhancing work like heart bypasses or hip replacements).

And unlike younger migrants, the average parent visa holder is not going to have a long working/taxpaying career in Australia, and does not have to be 'skilled' in any way.

The AUD26k is a good bargain in my view.

That's correct. It is a mean average. Occasionally there's a parent visa applicant aged in mid to late 40s, and the AUD26k is a steep charge in these circumstances, but this balances off against parents in their late 70s or so who may still be relatively healthy but statistically will be likely to make significant use of healthcare in the near future.

From July, they begin giving visas to queued applicants from 2004/05. But clearly there will have to be more visas allocated in the 2005/06 program otherwise there will be more problems in a year's time.

All that said, the contributory parent visa is still new and it will take a few years before DIMIA can get an idea of what the structural demand for the visa will be. For example, many people with existing queued parent visa applicants may not have 'switched' to contributory in 2003/04 (the first year) but may have decided to do so in 2004/05. This particular demand factor may not be stable in the early years.

Jeremy
Jeremy

Thanks for your response - all very useful info as usual - hadn't even thought that many of the old standard parent visa applicants would transfer over to the CP visa - makes sense though that there would be a number who did..

I tend to agree with Stuart re the visa charge increase. If you apply and are acknowledged prior to 1 July then that year's charges apply even though your visa won't be granted until the following year.

Regards

Jim
Old Mar 30th 2005, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the roughStewie is a jewel in the rough

I tend to agree with Stuart re the visa charge increase. If you apply and are acknowledged prior to 1 July then that year's charges apply even though your visa won't be granted until the following year.

Regards

Jim

Absolutely Jim

We applied in June 2004, the 2nd Vac was increased in July 04 but we paid the $25k each in Feb 05, not the $26+ which came in in July!
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:12 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by Stewie
Absolutely Jim

We applied in June 2004, the 2nd Vac was increased in July 04 but we paid the $25k each in Feb 05, not the $26+ which came in in July!
Hello Stuart

I still get shivers when I read those figures anywhere - but if you say them quickly and quietly they don't seem to hurt quite so much!!

Hope you're not too cold and wet in Melbourne?!

Jim
Old Apr 1st 2005, 6:40 pm
reallywanabeeaussie

dmb357 is on a distinguished road

Hi Jim
Just been reading your post to Diana just to keep you up to date on our progress . wasnt very pleased so i got into agent againe he emailed perth
,the next day he had a letter from perth giving him our case officer and acknowlegment letter our med request are on there way so we will keep our fingers crossed that they will be here soon

Joan
Hi Joan
Great news for you hopefully we will be close behind you!!
Diana
Old Apr 7th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmb357
Hi Joan
Great news for you hopefully we will be close behind you!!
Diana
Hi Diana

Have you heard anything yet were still waiting for meds getting a bit fed up now
Joan
Old Apr 7th 2005, 8:25 pm
reallywanabeeaussie

dmb357 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: contributory parent visa

Hi Diana

Have you heard anything yet were still waiting for meds getting a bit fed up now
Joan
Hi Joan
Yes had a phone call today, I was told we are not in a queueing system, Robert (DIMIA)said they don't queue CPV's and that ours is very straight forward. He did confirm what Jim was saying in that they won't request medicals too soon, I felt a lot better having spoken to someone!! This Robert seem to think there was no hold up problems other than getting through the paperwork their end. Maybe previous postings are right and there has just been a large uptake over the last few months!!
He did point out that the later the medicals are requested the better it is for us if we have a hold up with selling the house!!!
I'm just glad we have paid some money, at least we feel as if we are on our way!!
Fingers crossed for you.
Best Wishes Diana
Old Apr 8th 2005, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmb357
Hi Joan
Yes had a phone call today, I was told we are not in a queueing system, Robert (DIMIA)said they don't queue CPV's and that ours is very straight forward. He did confirm what Jim was saying in that they won't request medicals too soon, I felt a lot better having spoken to someone!! This Robert seem to think there was no hold up problems other than getting through the paperwork their end. Maybe previous postings are right and there has just been a large uptake over the last few months!!
He did point out that the later the medicals are requested the better it is for us if we have a hold up with selling the house!!!
I'm just glad we have paid some money, at least we feel as if we are on our way!!
Fingers crossed for you.
Best Wishes Diana
Hi Diana

Thats made me feel a lot better i was reading a thread the other day they was waiting 4mth for their med and they still got their visas through in 7mths
so there is hope for us yet
Will keep in touch and let you know if and when we hear anything

regards Joan
Old Apr 8th 2005, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

sarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura aboutsarah & mark has a spectacular aura about

Just a quick msg for all you who are wanting a contributory parent visa. We got told yesterday that AOS has been processed & today Our bond was requested, things are moving fast now.

Sarah.
Old Apr 8th 2005, 10:44 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Hi Diana

Thats made me feel a lot better i was reading a thread the other day they was waiting 4mth for their med and they still got their visas through in 7mths
so there is hope for us yet
Will keep in touch and let you know if and when we hear anything

regards Joan
Hello Joan

Just sending you a PM re State Retirement Pension !!

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.