Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Confused - 2 kids born in different countries - trying to sort out proof of descent

Confused - 2 kids born in different countries - trying to sort out proof of descent

Old Mar 26th 2016, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Question Confused - 2 kids born in different countries - trying to sort out proof of descent

I'm trying to get our citizenship proof in order (in case the kids need proof down the line) but i'm getting confused

Child 1 was born in Australia, hubby & me PR at the time, he has a Australian & British passport but no certificate of citizenship

Child 2 was born in UK - currently has no passports and I need both.

We are back permanently in UK now, hubby and me became Australian citizens after child 1 was born but before child 2.

So, in order to sort out all our paperwork im thinking both kids need proof of Citizenship - and each proof of Citizenship by Descent (child 1 UK and Child 2 Australia)??

Then once I have these sorted apply for both passports for child 2...

Any advice on where I should start? I feel totally overwhelmed - argh!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited by Koolcat; Mar 26th 2016 at 2:03 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused - 2 kids born in different countries - trying to sort out proof of desce

I am not really sure what your question is? I believe that yes you need to get proof of citizenship before you can apply for the Aussie passport these days, I understnad this is pretty straightforward though, or is this the issue? Or is it something else? Your post is not clear.

By the way child number 1 is not Australian by descent, that child is simply Australian but they are only British by descent. For the other child, it is the opposite way around.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Koolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the roughKoolcat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Confused - 2 kids born in different countries - trying to sort out proof of desce

Hi BermudaShorts thanks so much for replying - gosh ive wrote my post above terribly

I guess what i'm trying to achieve is to get the kids paperwork in order so that down the line when hubby and me are pushing up the daisies - that they don't have any dramas with their Dual Nationality. I recall reading on here at some point about getting the importance of getting proof of Citizenship as a passport is not enough. But I read that a few years back and cant find the post now.

Hey yes so Child 1 is Australian and British by Descent,
and Child 2 is British and Australian by Descent.

So im thinking I need proof of the Descent status's for both kids...

So not quite sure where to start with what I need to achieve - im thinking if I call Australia House they will advise on forms etc but I seem to recall a £1 minute charge rate (again that's an old memory lol)

Thanks again for replying
Old Mar 26th 2016, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The British side of things is pretty straightforward, just apply for their passports and provide whatever documents are asked for.

For the Australian side of things, focus first of all on getting citizenship certificates for them both, once you have those the passport is easy. I have never applied for a citizenship certificate, mine was handed to me at my ceremony, but I presume with a bit of googling the procedure cannot be all that hard?
Old Mar 26th 2016, 4:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Koolcat
I'm trying to get our citizenship proof in order (in case the kids need proof down the line) but i'm getting confused

Child 1 was born in Australia, hubby & me PR at the time, he has a Australian & British passport but no certificate of citizenship

Child 2 was born in UK - currently has no passports and I need both.

We are back permanently in UK now, hubby and me became Australian citizens after child 1 was born but before child 2.

So, in order to sort out all our paperwork im thinking both kids need proof of Citizenship - and each proof of Citizenship by Descent (child 1 UK and Child 2 Australia)??

Then once I have these sorted apply for both passports for child 2...

Any advice on where I should start? I feel totally overwhelmed - argh!!!

Thanks in advance for any advice
Have a look here for obtaining citizenship certificates - Proof of citizenship
Old Mar 26th 2016, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Child 1 is easy - just apply for both passports with evidence they both ask for. Form C2 for UK pp

Child 2 has an extra step before applying for Aus passport and has to be registered as an Aus citizen at Bush House - usual evidence of Australian parent citizenship (Aus passport will do) and relationship to the child. C2 for UK pp. https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Citi/Appl/What-documents-do-you-need/document-checklist-for-australian-citizenship-by-descent

Last edited by quoll; Mar 26th 2016 at 7:46 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Fabulous - thanks heaps for the information above Wasn't quite sure where to start getting the paperwork in order - but have a good idea now

Thanks again, much appreciated

Koolcat
Old Mar 26th 2016, 11:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

File Form 119 for Child 1 with Canberra and Form 118 for Child 2 with London for Australian citizenship.

There's no equivalent British citizenship certificate so both children should keep copies of your vital records (birth certificates, marriage certificate). Providing you and your husband were born in England or Wales then extra copies can be ordered from the General Register Office for £9.25 each.

Last edited by BritInParis; Mar 27th 2016 at 12:00 am.