Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Conflicting Info on 457 Visa....Help needed

Conflicting Info on 457 Visa....Help needed

Old Sep 22nd 2017, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

chan012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Conflicting Info on 457 Visa....Help needed

Hi all

I am looking for some info with regards to the 457 Visa, its been a long time since i arrived on mine 10 years ago so i know things have changed. My friends have applied for theirs via an agent in the last month or so but they are still getting conflicting info.

Now his application has been submitted he has now been told that in order for the visa to be issued he needs to be in Aus and working with his sponsor for 3 years minimum before he can qualify to apply for PR, this sounds good in most cases although his agent is telling him that PR must be applied for before he turns 45.........Which means he needs to be in Aus on or around his 42 birthday which is just over 6 weeks away.......

Is what his agent telling him correct as i cannot find anything that matches this info on the immi website, if this is the case his agent should have told him this before hand as it is very unlikely the family are going to get medicals etc done and visa issued in such a short space of time.

Any info would be helpful
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 2:10 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conflicting Info on 457 Visa....Help needed

He will need to apply for PR before turning 45 for most visas now. Info on transitional 186 visa (employer sponsored PR) looks like it might still be 50 but obviously this can change, and requirements seem to be working for 2 of the last 3 years,

Info on the changes made here - https://www.border.gov.au/WorkinginA...-programme.pdf

Info on 186 visa - https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/186-

Of course, if he is eligible for another visa, he can apply at any time but obviously will need skills assessment for occupation (don't think this is necessary for 457).
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The age cut off is now 45 for sponsored permanent visas such as 186 and 187. The period for direct entry is currently two years. However there are a lot of changes occurring and it is possible the agent is aware of a change that isn't in the public domain yet that is increasing this to three years.

There is though nothing stopping him lodging an independent PR application for a 189 or 190 if he is eligible.

One very important thing to consider in the new changes is that if his occupation is only on the short term list or later moves onto it, he will not be permitted to apply for PR.
Old Sep 23rd 2017, 5:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
The age cut off is now 45 for sponsored permanent visas such as 186 and 187.
Thanks VS - I saw that after I started my post and hadn't realised I'd posted without editing. The info is in the link I provided
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

TeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond reputeTeeTMI has a reputation beyond repute

As per the link provided above.
There have been a number of changes this year and more changes expected next year - including to the transitional streams if they are looking to obtain permanent residence at a later stage.
The transitional stream has never been a guaranteed pathway to permanent residence and depends upon eligibility.

These changes are likely what the agent is advising them about - if they are looking for PR and eligible under another visa option they might use that instead.