Coming over to Oz

Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:46 pm
Matty

Default Coming over to Oz

Hi All,

Me and my partner intend to spend a year in Australia, we plan to come
over on a working holiday VISA as this seems to be the only way in
which we will be able to work. We are citizens of the United Kingdom
and both will be 21 at the time in question (May 2004).

We plan on staying in the same area for the full 12 months. We are
looking at moving to either Adelaide, Melbourne or Perth. We have done
all the reading about the relavant Visa's etc, but so far are finding
information about renting property and jobs hard to come by. We both
work and have experience in Administrative type roles and this is
ideally what we would like to do for employment. As we understand any
one job cannot be undertaken for longer than a three month period,
does this make finding work in this field much more difficult for
people on a working holiday VISA? Is employment generally hard to come
by for people like ourselves? obviously we will not be working for the
full time that we are in Australia, but intend to work for a majority
of the time.

Is renting expensive for people like ourselves? we would like a one
bedroom apartment in a location where the city, or our place of work,
is easily accessible - would this be within our budget range,
considering what we are likely to be paid?

Any information that could be provided would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Matt

Old Oct 28th 2003, 12:00 am
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coming over to Oz

Originally posted by Matty
Hi All,

Me and my partner intend to spend a year in Australia, we plan to come
over on a working holiday VISA as this seems to be the only way in
which we will be able to work. We are citizens of the United Kingdom
and both will be 21 at the time in question (May 2004).

We plan on staying in the same area for the full 12 months. We are
looking at moving to either Adelaide, Melbourne or Perth. We have done
all the reading about the relavant Visa's etc, but so far are finding
information about renting property and jobs hard to come by. We both
work and have experience in Administrative type roles and this is
ideally what we would like to do for employment. As we understand any
one job cannot be undertaken for longer than a three month period,
does this make finding work in this field much more difficult for
people on a working holiday VISA? Is employment generally hard to come
by for people like ourselves? obviously we will not be working for the
full time that we are in Australia, but intend to work for a majority
of the time.

Is renting expensive for people like ourselves? we would like a one
bedroom apartment in a location where the city, or our place of work,
is easily accessible - would this be within our budget range,
considering what we are likely to be paid?

Any information that could be provided would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Matt
Hi Matt,

Can't help on the renting front as I've never had to do it in Oz. WIth work though, often the best thing to do is go along to a few temping agencies when you arrive - take plenty of copies of your CV - and see what they can come up with. A lot of people on their WHV get fairly boring work doing stuff like telesales, marketing etc unless you want to go down the barwork route (generally easier for girls to find barwork than blokes).

Doesn't mean to say there isn't interesting work out there. I have a mate in Sydney who works for a company going around to all sorts of sporting events, clubs, bars, other events giving three minute shoulder massages. I spent my year working as a camp-oven cook on a sheep station in NSW with some part-time cattle mustering and goldmining.

The three month rule does apply - no more than three months with one employer. Not really worth trying to dodge it because you could end up with a heft fine and a fast trip straight home - it happens. That said, I worked for 7 months with the same employer with special permission from DIMIA - but that was because I was hard to replace, it being the back of bourke and all that.

There are so many people out there doing WHV that employers are used to the three month rule. Just don't expect to walk into a glamorous, highly-paid job...you're more likely to pick up basic admin work. That's why temping is a good option because employers will only be looking for someone short term.

Good luck, and have a good time out there...
Old Oct 28th 2003, 6:24 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bundy
Hi Matt,

Can't help on the renting front as I've never had to do it in Oz. WIth work though, often the best thing to do is go along to a few temping agencies when you arrive - take plenty of copies of your CV - and see what they can come up with. A lot of people on their WHV get fairly boring work doing stuff like telesales, marketing etc unless you want to go down the barwork route (generally easier for girls to find barwork than blokes).

Doesn't mean to say there isn't interesting work out there. I have a mate in Sydney who works for a company going around to all sorts of sporting events, clubs, bars, other events giving three minute shoulder massages. I spent my year working as a camp-oven cook on a sheep station in NSW with some part-time cattle mustering and goldmining.

The three month rule does apply - no more than three months with one employer. Not really worth trying to dodge it because you could end up with a heft fine and a fast trip straight home - it happens. That said, I worked for 7 months with the same employer with special permission from DIMIA - but that was because I was hard to replace, it being the back of bourke and all that.

There are so many people out there doing WHV that employers are used to the three month rule. Just don't expect to walk into a glamorous, highly-paid job...you're more likely to pick up basic admin work. That's why temping is a good option because employers will only be looking for someone short term.

Good luck, and have a good time out there...
I did the WHV in 1997 and temped in Sydney and had a great time. I was out of work for about 2 weeks in all. I had good and shit jobs. Out of Sydney it is harder but not impossible.

Just go for it and follow the flow. Very few people have a bad time on the WHV .
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:14 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

[i]

Just go for it and follow the flow. Very few people have a bad time on the WHV .
And some of us fall in love with aussies and end up on this forum!!!

(Not that this will apply to you, Matt, since you are going over with your beloved...)