Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship, the wait and leaving the country

Citizenship, the wait and leaving the country

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship, the wait and leaving the country

I have a slightly complex situation I was hoping someone may be able to help me with. I have lived in Australia for a total of about 6 years but about 7 months short of citizenship eligibility my marriage broke down and I went back to the UK for 18 months. I've now been back in Australia for almost 4 months and understand that it will have gone back up to a year in total to qualify for the '1 year in the last 2' clause. The issue I have is that I would now like to study in the UK beginning in November if possible, I have spent about half my life in each of the 2 countries so really feel like I have 2 homes but right now I have nephews and nieces growing up and would like to be there for the next few years without losing my other home. I should be able to apply for citizenship in September but if I do can I leave the country if there is a delay in granting and what would happen if I delay the ceremony. If I leave before eligibility and return for when my PR is due for renewal (June 2011) will I have any issues renewing it.
I'm in a right tangle so would be really grateful for any advice. Thank you!
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

ydes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship, the wait and leaving the country

The RRV should be issued to you if you demonstrate a close and continuing association with Australia during this period. I think you satisfy this criteria.

Citizenship ceremony should be undertaken within a year of being approved for citizenship or the approval may be cancelled. I suggest not applying at all if you cant make it or wait until the ceremony.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 10:54 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship, the wait and leaving the country

Originally Posted by Un-Co
I have a slightly complex situation I was hoping someone may be able to help me with. I have lived in Australia for a total of about 6 years but about 7 months short of citizenship eligibility my marriage broke down and I went back to the UK for 18 months. I've now been back in Australia for almost 4 months and understand that it will have gone back up to a year in total to qualify for the '1 year in the last 2' clause. The issue I have is that I would now like to study in the UK beginning in November if possible, I have spent about half my life in each of the 2 countries so really feel like I have 2 homes but right now I have nephews and nieces growing up and would like to be there for the next few years without losing my other home. I should be able to apply for citizenship in September but if I do can I leave the country if there is a delay in granting and what would happen if I delay the ceremony. If I leave before eligibility and return for when my PR is due for renewal (June 2011) will I have any issues renewing it.
I'm in a right tangle so would be really grateful for any advice. Thank you!

1. You can get a 5 year RRV as soon as you have 2 years in the last 5 (in total, as a permanent resident) OR have "substantial ties".

2. If you apply for citizenship your application cannot be approved while you are offshore.

3. Your ceremony must take place onshore.

4. If DIAC think you are no longer intending to live in Australia, they can refuse your citizenship application (before approval), or cancel it (if you have not attended a ceremony).

(if by some chance you are the spouse or partner of an Australian citizen, then the answers to questions 2, 3 and 4 may be different).

5. Study in the UK may be expensive, see:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule