British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship time frame under the proposed new legislation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-time-frame-under-proposed-new-legislation-903671/)

DML Sep 22nd 2017 3:41 am

Citizenship time frame under the proposed new legislation

So, my family and I were a couple of months away from being eligible to apply for citizenship when the changes came in April. We now have to sit tight until our 4 years PR are up (July 19). Pretty annoying but no big shakes really compared to the hassles we had getting our 457 and then 186 visas.

From what I can see the system has been in limbo now for 5 months so the backlog of citizenship applications will have built up hugely. If the new time frame passes I think one thing that has been overlooked is the potential chaos and confusion the new time frame will create.....

For us, we're on a 186 which gives us 5 years til we need to apply for an RRV. So if we put in our citizenship application at the 4 year mark that gives us 12 months to have our application processed and approved, get a ceremony scheduled and then apply and receive our new passports. Chances are it will take longer than 12 months for all of that to happen based on experiences I have read on here. So I can foresee people having a clash of waiting for the process to complete and yet also wanting to travel out of Australia. Can you apply for an RRV once you've been granted citizenship but are awaiting a passport or is there another option?

verystormy Sep 22nd 2017 5:52 am

Re: Citizenship time frame under the proposed new legislation

No, you can not get an rrv once you are a citizen. However passports can be obtained very quickly. I needed to travel a couple of days after my ceremony. I pre booked an appointment at the passport office and had my passport 19 hours after becoming a citizen

Pollyana Sep 22nd 2017 6:50 am

Originally Posted by DML (Post 12343766)
So, my family and I were a couple of months away from being eligible to apply for citizenship when the changes came in April. We now have to sit tight until our 4 years PR are up (July 19). Pretty annoying but no big shakes really compared to the hassles we had getting our 457 and then 186 visas.

From what I can see the system has been in limbo now for 5 months so the backlog of citizenship applications will have built up hugely. If the new time frame passes I think one thing that has been overlooked is the potential chaos and confusion the new time frame will create.....

For us, we're on a 186 which gives us 5 years til we need to apply for an RRV. So if we put in our citizenship application at the 4 year mark that gives us 12 months to have our application processed and approved, get a ceremony scheduled and then apply and receive our new passports. Chances are it will take longer than 12 months for all of that to happen based on experiences I have read on here. So I can foresee people having a clash of waiting for the process to complete and yet also wanting to travel out of Australia. Can you apply for an RRV once you've been granted citizenship but are awaiting a passport or is there another option?

The time taken for the process is before the ceremony itself, waiting for the test etc, the waiting for the ceremony, is what drags it out. And you can apply for and get a RRV at any point during that process.

You aren't a citizen until the ceremony itself, and after that you can get a passport in 24 hours, as Verystormy has said.

DML Sep 23rd 2017 8:56 am

Oh ok thanks that makes it clearer. Appreciate the help as ever :-)