British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship for spouse living abroad ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-spouse-living-abroad-684681/)

Sunbound Sep 9th 2010 10:17 am

Citizenship for spouse living abroad ?

Ok..... Husband, wife and young daughter get permanent residency for Australia. Wife and daughter come to Australia and stay, wife has business and daughter goes to school. Husband comes to validate and then goes back to China where they also have a business.( He returns on and off for visits but then returns to China) Four years pass and wife and daughter get their citizenship. My question is this ..Does the husband automatically get citizenship if the wife gets it , even though he's not met perhaps the length of time required to stay to maintain permanent residency?
Anyone in the know , any thoughts ?
Thanks Sunbound :thumbsup:

roaringmouse Sep 9th 2010 11:44 am

Re: Citizenship for spouse living abroad ?

No

Sunbound Sep 9th 2010 10:06 pm

So you think he would have to live the required time in Oz to get citizenship?

katietops01 Sep 10th 2010 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Sunbound (Post 8837499)
So you think he would have to live the required time in Oz to get citizenship?

Definitely. Same happened to friends of mine - he works offshore so hasn't clocked up required amount of time for citizenship, but wife and son are both now citizens.

Sunbound Sep 10th 2010 2:02 am

Originally Posted by katietops01 (Post 8837824)
Definitely. Same happened to friends of mine - he works offshore so hasn't clocked up required amount of time for citizenship, but wife and son are both now citizens.

So in that case can he just extend his permanent residency perhaps until he's able to clock up the time?

katietops01 Sep 10th 2010 2:18 am

Originally Posted by Sunbound (Post 8837955)
So in that case can he just extend his permanent residency perhaps until he's able to clock up the time?

My friends are in a slightly different situation, in that he is resident in Australia, but spends about 50% of his time working offshore. Therefore, he can prove substantial ties to Australia for an RRV, even though he spends a lot of time out of the country.

From what you are saying, the case you are talking about seems different. The husband doesn't live in Australia, but China, so I'm not sure how this would go for getting an RRV. Obviously, with a wife and child in Australia, he does have ties, but he doesn't actually live here. I have no idea if this makes a difference, but I would recommend that a registered migration agent is consulted for further assistance.