Citizenship Residency

Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:47 am
Just Joined

tvuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship Residency

Thanks for the replies guys. Getting all documentation together etc from abroad and the timeline, which seems to vary, would be the issue. Really just looking at if its worth doing it before I go or the penalty if I apply afterwards. From what people have said is that I could stay away for up to a year without it resetting the clock back a full 4 years. In the case of going away for up to a year I would be put back a year?
Old Jan 7th 2016, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tvuk
Thanks for the replies guys. Getting all documentation together etc from abroad and the timeline, which seems to vary, would be the issue. Really just looking at if its worth doing it before I go or the penalty if I apply afterwards. From what people have said is that I could stay away for up to a year without it resetting the clock back a full 4 years. In the case of going away for up to a year I would be put back a year?
Well as per the last couple of posts, it depends when you want to go. You would need to allow a good six months to complete the process. The timeline does vary because different councils run different citizenship ceremonies, some monthly, some quarterly, some will have more of a queue than others.

If you go away for less than a year, the timeline will be as explained by ms myrtle earlier in the thread, i.e. you can apply nine months after you return --assuming no other absences). Longer than a year and your clock is reset and it will take three more years to qualify.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:33 am
Just Joined

tvuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be on leave from work travelling with my partner (Australian). Seems I'll either have to get organised now, leave it until we return, and depending on the time we are away for either wait the smaller amount of time or reset the clock.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 8:56 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
You would need to allow a good six months to complete the process. The timeline does vary because different councils run different citizenship ceremonies, some monthly, some quarterly, some will have more of a queue than others.
For me it will have taken a little over 8 months from application to ceremony (mid-May to Jan). One guy (on another forum I read) whose application has been sent to external checks has been waiting over 8 months for approval alone (and still waiting)... While others have reported as little as 3 months from application to ceremony, so it really does depend on a lot of factors.