Citizenship Requirement - Final 12 Months

Old Feb 3rd 2007, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

-=|MisterY|=- is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Citizenship Requirement - Final 12 Months

I'm looking for a clarification for the last part of the "You should have resided in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of at least two years in the last five years including a total of at least 12 months in the last two years" sentence.

What is the residency definition for this purpose? I mean, would going for a vacation of 10 days outside Australia break the continuity of the 12 month period? Assuming everything else stays the same - residence address, job, etc. Would just a standard vacation outside the country have influence on this citizenship requirement?
The calculator on citizenship site shows so. It takes into the account only the continuous 12 months. Is that correct?
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 4:25 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Citizenship Requirement - Final 12 Months

Originally Posted by -=|MisterY|=-
I'm looking for a clarification for the last part of the "You should have resided in Australia as a permanent resident for a total of at least two years in the last five years including a total of at least 12 months in the last two years" sentence.

What is the residency definition for this purpose? I mean, would going for a vacation of 10 days outside Australia break the continuity of the 12 month period? Assuming everything else stays the same - residence address, job, etc. Would just a standard vacation outside the country have influence on this citizenship requirement?
The calculator on citizenship site shows so. It takes into the account only the continuous 12 months. Is that correct?
As I understand it does not have to be continous, but you have to stay in Australia for a total of 12 months during the last two years
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:23 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
As I understand it does not have to be continous, but you have to stay in Australia for a total of 12 months during the last two years
That's right; it doesn't have to be coninuous. So if you have a 2-week foreign hol, you need to make up that 2 weeks for the 12 month requirement - i.e. 54 weeks in total.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Red face Re: Citizenship Requirement - Final 12 Months

Originally Posted by wmoore
That's right; it doesn't have to be coninuous. So if you have a 2-week foreign hol, you need to make up that 2 weeks for the 12 month requirement - i.e. 54 weeks in total.
Thanks! That's a relief.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by -=|MisterY|=-

I don't know how you managed to conclude that " ... a total of at least 12 months in the last two years" means a continuous 12 month period. It means a total of 365 days. Very different.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Exclamation Re: Citizenship Requirement - Final 12 Months

Originally Posted by JAJ
I don't know how you managed to conclude that " ... a total of at least 12 months in the last two years" means a continuous 12 month period. It means a total of 365 days. Very different.
I was confused by the Residence calculator at
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/becomi...s/eligible.htm

For the test purposes, if I put PR date 5/9/2005, intended lodgement date 5/12/2007, put one period of residence (5/9/2005-5/9/2006) there should be 1 year residence remaining, right?
Clicking 'Calculate' states "Residence requirement met: No
Reapply Date: 3/ 9/ 2008. Do not submit your application before this date."
Where does it take the 3/9/2008 from? Even if it calculates 1 year from today it should be February 2008, not September.
So I decided to check here on the forum.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 8:40 am
>40
Forum Regular

>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all>40 is a name known to all

Please not that the residence calculator asks for periods OUTSIDE Australia.

If you entered the dates you mentioned, then I believe the calculator interpreted it as you were present in Australia on 5 Sep 2005 before going abroad for one year and returning to Australia on 5 Sep 2006 and continuing to be in Australia after that.

Because of the current residence requirements (2 yrs in the last 5, and 1 in the last 2 before application), the calculator instructs you to wait with applying until Sep 2008 when you have fulfilled these requirements if you continue to be present in Australia.

Of course, the new Citizenship law will change a lot of this...
Old Feb 6th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: Citizenship Requirement - Final 12 Months

Originally Posted by >40
Please not that the residence calculator asks for periods OUTSIDE Australia.
You are right! My negligence.
Thank you, it's all clear now.

Last edited by -=|MisterY|=-; Feb 6th 2007 at 9:46 am.