citizenship question

Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Question citizenship question

My OH and I came to Australia for a weeks visit for a job interview in June 2006 on an ETA and then we came here permanently in December 2006. We were then granted permanent residency in April 2008.
In the citizenship calculator which date do I put in the section for lawful residence date, would it be June or December?
A friend of ours also came for the visit before relocating permanently and he was able to use the first date he arrived in Australia which was April 2006 and so he was able to apply for his citizenship earlier than his family who didn't come for the short visit.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of
Default Re: citizenship question

I can't comment officially, but a mate was told that the holidays he'd had in Oz (4 months + 2.5 weeks) would be "knocked off" his waiting time.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you can now claim holiday visa periods - so say a few on here, I still don't understand why but it would only be a week extra so is it worth worrying about?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

This is an area which will probably have to be clarified properly by the courts because the relevant legislation conflicts with the guidance issued by DIAC (at least some people think so, me included).

However this won't actually affect you. You put in June. Unless you have spent more than seven months or so outside Australia since December 2006, you qualify for citizenship already.

If you put in December, the calculator will say you are not eligible until December, so in fact it can make up to a year difference in becoming eligible, although less than that in your case as there was only six months between your first two landings.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

laven is an unknown quantity at this point

What does the legislation say? to be present in Australia on valid visa. ETA or any other tourist visa count!!:-)
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:00 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can put in the June arrival but you have to also then put in the June departure and then the December arrival (unless things have changed drastically since I did mine). Time spent out of the country doesn't count so you only have a week to add to the permanent time.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You can put in the June arrival but you have to also then put in the June departure and then the December arrival (unless things have changed drastically since I did mine). Time spent out of the country doesn't count so you only have a week to add to the permanent time.
Yes, but the citizenship calculator requires four years to have elapsed since your lawful residence date. If you put in December 2006, it will say you do not qualify until December 2010. If you put in June 2006 and otherwise qualify (three years presence including one PR) as the OP probably does, it will say you qualify now. So in their case, it will make considerably more difference than the days spent in Australia on an ETA.
Old Aug 10th 2010, 11:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by louie
Yes, but the citizenship calculator requires four years to have elapsed since your lawful residence date. If you put in December 2006, it will say you do not qualify until December 2010. If you put in June 2006 and otherwise qualify (three years presence including one PR) as the OP probably does, it will say you qualify now. So in their case, it will make considerably more difference than the days spent in Australia on an ETA.
OK so it has changed drastically since I did mine, you had to actually do the time. Sorry for the duff info, I thought people were moaning (not on here) that it was harder to get now when it appears easier to me.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all the replies, looks like we can apply now then which is great news:-)
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

I am thinking of applying for my Citizenship soon. I have lived in Australia lawfully since Dec 2004 and been a PR since May 2009.

I have only had 80 days out of Australia on Business and Holidays spread out evenly over that period of 5 years.

Do I require a penal certificate from the UK?
Do I require a Penal Certificate for Australia?
Old Aug 11th 2010, 4:45 am
Just Joined

tatu_boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse
I am thinking of applying for my Citizenship soon. I have lived in Australia lawfully since Dec 2004 and been a PR since May 2009.

I have only had 80 days out of Australia on Business and Holidays spread out evenly over that period of 5 years.

Do I require a penal certificate from the UK?
Do I require a Penal Certificate for Australia?
You only require panel certifecate from overseas if you have spend more then 12 months overseas on since your were granted your PR.

For australia you do not require panel certificates lol!!