Citizenship new rules

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Mr Pants is on a distinguished road
Default Citizenship new rules

We got our visa's on the 30th December 2005, have just got back from a great trip vailidating them.

We always intended to make the final move in a couple of years time (work and children issues) so we would have been in Oz for 2 years out of the 5 to apply for citizenship.

However the intended new rules mess us up, having to spend 3 out of 5 years by the time we apply for citizenship.

My question.

Do we have to apply for citizenship, and hence spend 3 out of 5 years, within 5 years of the 30th Dec 2005 or is it just sufficient to go out in, say 3 or 4 years time and then apply for citizenship 3 years later, which will mean applying about 6-7 years from visa grant? Sorry but just can't get my head around the intended new rules as to how they effect us.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:32 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship new rules

Originally Posted by Mr Pants
Do we have to apply for citizenship, and hence spend 3 out of 5 years, within 5 years of the 30th Dec 2005 or is it just sufficient to go out in, say 3 or 4 years time and then apply for citizenship 3 years later, which will mean applying about 6-7 years from visa grant? Sorry but just can't get my head around the intended new rules as to how they effect us.

Basically you will need to live in Australia for 3 years, then apply for citizenship.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Basically you will need to live in Australia for 3 years, then apply for citizenship.
Thanks, but do we have to live in Oz for 3 years within the next 5, ie by the 30th Dec 2010, or just 3 years from when we move out which means the end of the 3 years expires after the 5 years on the visa?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, but do we have to live in Oz for 3 years within the next 5, ie by the 30th Dec 2010, or just 3 years from when we move out which means the end of the 3 years expires after the 5 years on the visa?
3 years as a permanent resident.

It doesn't have to be in the 5 years from when your visa was granted, at the same time if you put off moving for too long your visa will be expired and your PR probably gone for good. Read form 968i:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

It's really not a good idea to try to "push the envelope" in terms of thinking about how long you can stay outside Australia. For a simple life you do need to move proper within 3 years of visa grant.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 12:11 pm
No longer waiting....

crawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to allcrawling is a name known to all

.... or is it just sufficient to go out in, say 3 or 4 years time and then apply for citizenship 3 years later, which will mean applying about 6-7 years from visa grant? Sorry but just can't get my head around the intended new rules as to how they effect us.
On the rules today this would be technically possible but things change... any changes may not be favourable to you, who knows? You may get into problematic RRV issues if you needed to leave Australia after the initial 5 years also.

I looked at this simply so I would know the limit of what was possible... the longer timescales were too stressful to bother with in my opinon.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:49 pm
Jam

> > Thanks, but do we have to live in Oz for 3 years within the next 5,
    > > ie
    > > by the 30th Dec 2010, or just 3 years from when we move out which
    > > means the end of the 3 years expires after the 5 years on the visa?
    > 3 years as a permanent resident.
    > It doesn't have to be in the 5 years from when your visa was granted,
    > at
    > the same time if you put off moving for too long your visa will be
    > expired and your PR probably gone for good. Read form 968i:
    > http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
    > It's really not a good idea to try to "push the envelope" in terms of
    > thinking about how long you can stay outside Australia. For a
    > simple
    > life you do need to move proper within 3 years of visa grant.
    > --
    > This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any
    > jurisdiction

Hi, When do the changes come into place for 3 years before applying for
citizenship instead of 2. Does anyone have a quick answer. Thanks

--
Posted via http://expatforums.com

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:06 pm

You only need to be IN Australia as permanent resident for 2 years, NOT
3 years to be a citizen.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 8:50 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by [email protected]
You only need to be IN Australia as permanent resident for 2 years, NOT
3 years to be a citizen.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/how.htm
Correct at present, though the Act is due to go through soon to make it three years.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:12 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Correct at present, though the Act is due to go through soon to make it three years.

anybody got any more info on when its likely to take effect?
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by biggy
anybody got any more info on when its likely to take effect?

According to http://www.citizenship.gov.au it's likely to be 1 July 2006.
But the legislation must first be passed by parliament.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:22 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
According to http://www.citizenship.gov.au it's likely to be 1 July 2006.
But the legislation must first be passed by parliament.

yeah I thot that, we have our application ready to go in on 30th June lol not that another year makes any difference, we are here for good anyways
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

bipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to all

But IF I got a letter and PR that after 2 years living in Aus I can apply for citizenship. I hope that legaslation if it is going to be passed will affect only future applicants. Otherwise it is not fair.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 9:56 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bipsich
But IF I got a letter and PR that after 2 years living in Aus I can apply for citizenship. I hope that legaslation if it is going to be passed will affect only future applicants. Otherwise it is not fair.
At the moment it looks like it will effect *everybody* who doesn't have citizenship when the law is passed, not just future PR applicants. And to quote my mother, "Life is not fair!"...
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by saraliz
At the moment it looks like it will effect *everybody* who doesn't have citizenship when the law is passed, not just future PR applicants. And to quote my mother, "Life is not fair!"...
I'm with Bipsich on this one but unfortunately saraliz's mother is absolutely right.
Old Feb 24th 2006, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

bipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to allbipsich is a name known to all

What is the chance that it does not pass (the legislation) ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.