Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship in married name whilst passport in maiden name

Citizenship in married name whilst passport in maiden name

Old Mar 13th 2013, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Citizenship in married name whilst passport in maiden name

Hi
I wonder if someone could advise me on this

I am eligible to apply for my citizenship in June and my UK passport is still in my maiden name with the PR attached to it

I am going to the UK for a visit in August and the tickets are in my maiden name - there are quite a few flights so it would be expensive to change the names.

I would like to apply for my citizenship in June and have it in my married name - we got married in Australia. But would this affect my PR in my UK passport as I need to travel on this.

Would I be able to have the ceremony after we get back - September if I have applied in June and would I still be ok to travel up until the ceremony on my UK passport with the PR sticker in my maiden name?

Many thanks in advance
Old Mar 13th 2013, 6:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship in married name whilst passport in maiden name

Originally Posted by sambo76
Hi
I wonder if someone could advise me on this

I am eligible to apply for my citizenship in June and my UK passport is still in my maiden name with the PR attached to it

I am going to the UK for a visit in August and the tickets are in my maiden name - there are quite a few flights so it would be expensive to change the names.

I would like to apply for my citizenship in June and have it in my married name - we got married in Australia. But would this affect my PR in my UK passport as I need to travel on this.

Would I be able to have the ceremony after we get back - September if I have applied in June and would I still be ok to travel up until the ceremony on my UK passport with the PR sticker in my maiden name?

Many thanks in advance
When you fill in the forms etc I think they have to be done inn the name on your ID. However, when you go in for the inetrview and the test, take all the paperwork that shows your change of name and explain to the CO that you wish it to be granted in your married name. Thats what DIAC advised me to do, and it worked for me (only in my case I went back from my married name to my maiden name)

If you apply in June a ceremony before September is unlikely. And yues you can keep travelling on the UK passport as your visa is valid until the ceremont.
Old Mar 13th 2013, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of lightsambo76 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When you fill in the forms etc I think they have to be done inn the name on your ID. However, when you go in for the inetrview and the test, take all the paperwork that shows your change of name and explain to the CO that you wish it to be granted in your married name. Thats what DIAC advised me to do, and it worked for me (only in my case I went back from my married name to my maiden name)

If you apply in June a ceremony before September is unlikely. And yues you can keep travelling on the UK passport as your visa is valid until the ceremont.
Thanks Pollyanna, that's great :-)
Old Mar 14th 2013, 2:01 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

you also need to be aware you must be physically present in Aust when your Cit application is approved. it's important to tell DIAC your exact travel dates.