British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-interview-790594/)

Wishwewerethere Mar 15th 2013 8:53 am

Citizenship interview

We have just applied online for citizenship and curious as to whether our kids, as they are on my application, will have to attend the interview aswell, both are under 16 so I assume this is unnecessary.
Also does anyone know what the processing time is at moment from submitting application to receiving a date for interview?

Thanks!

Mav Mar 15th 2013 7:29 pm

Re: Citizenship interview

Originally Posted by Wishwewerethere (Post 10605031)
We have just applied online for citizenship and curious as to whether our kids, as they are on my application, will have to attend the interview aswell, both are under 16 so I assume this is unnecessary.
Also does anyone know what the processing time is at moment from submitting application to receiving a date for interview?

Thanks!

kids under 16 don't take the citizenship test, they do however take the pledge at the citizenship ceremony,
the test is easy enough just watch the dvd you get from them alot,
as for the time frame ours took 3 to 4 months to come through

QLDlover Mar 15th 2013 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mav (Post 10606030)
kids under 16 don't take the citizenship test, they do however take the pledge at the citizenship ceremony,
the test is easy enough just watch the dvd you get from them alot,
as for the time frame ours took 3 to 4 months to come through

What does the interviewer ask in the interview ? I just had a look on citizenship website and realized that most of applicants do not need to attend an interview but need to sit a test
Cheers

commonwealth Mar 15th 2013 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by QLDlover (Post 10606082)
What does the interviewer ask in the interview ? I just had a look on citizenship website and realized that most of applicants do not need to attend an interview but need to sit a test
Cheers

they just verify your identity at the "interview" and then u sit the test.

which DIAC office did you indicate in your app as your preferred contact office? if its brisbane it can take more than a month to get an interview/test. in sydney it takes 5-10 days to get an email with test date details and 1-2 monts from lodgmt to approval if everythings in order. upload all ur supporting docs.

carolinephillips Mar 15th 2013 9:33 pm

My daughter is 17 and has to attend an interview - they will check her identity etc, and she will have to answer some questions about her rights and responsibilities as an Aussie citizen, but AFAIK she doesn't have to do the multiple choice test. I thought she also didn't need a police check, but when OH phoned up they said she did. Is that correct? I've filled one out just in case.

OH has had his approval letter, but 3 weeks after he got his, I'm still waiting. Wonder why my police check has taken so long??? I had to have them for working with pre-schoolers. He has an annual one due to working in finance, that's the only difference.

Wishwewerethere Mar 15th 2013 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10606244)
they just verify your identity at the "interview" and then u sit the test.

which DIAC office did you indicate in your app as your preferred contact office? if its brisbane it can take more than a month to get an interview/test. in sydney it takes 5-10 days to get an email with test date details and 1-2 monts from lodgmt to approval if everythings in order. upload all ur supporting docs.

We selected Coffs Harbour as our local office for the test so hopefully shouldn't have such a long wait!

Wishwewerethere Mar 15th 2013 10:27 pm

Do you have to scan in certified copies of everything for the online citizenship application or will just coloured scans as in visa applications do?

commonwealth Mar 15th 2013 10:56 pm

just colored scans of original. no need to certify docs if lodged online.

commonwealth Mar 15th 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10606269)
My daughter is 17 and has to attend an interview - they will check her identity etc, and she will have to answer some questions about her rights and responsibilities as an Aussie citizen, but AFAIK she doesn't have to do the multiple choice test. I thought she also didn't need a police check, but when OH phoned up they said she did. Is that correct? I've filled one out just in case.

OH has had his approval letter, but 3 weeks after he got his, I'm still waiting. Wonder why my police check has taken so long??? I had to have them for working with pre-schoolers. He has an annual one due to working in finance, that's the only difference.

maybe you have numerous namesakes whi have some dubious records. if you still dont get approval on Day 60 you may want to ring them.

lolylew Mar 17th 2013 10:00 am

Originally Posted by carolinephillips (Post 10606269)

good luck caroline ..... my daughters the same age and didnt know until recently she had to answer some questions (verbally apparently?)
bit worried as i'm sure she'll clam up, what happens i wonder if they cant answer the questions?:unsure:

JAJ Mar 19th 2013 1:29 am

Originally Posted by lolylew (Post 10608531)
good luck caroline ..... my daughters the same age and didnt know until recently she had to answer some questions (verbally apparently?)
bit worried as i'm sure she'll clam up, what happens i wonder if they cant answer the questions?

If she can't answer the questions, her application will probably be refused. She would be permitted to re-apply.

But most DIAC examiners will want her to pass, so as long as she makes an effort to learn the privileges and responsibilities of Australian citizenship then there should not be a problem.

lolylew Mar 19th 2013 1:32 am

Thanks everyone for your help - she should be fine :)

But for me think I'd rather do the test than the stress of someone asking me questions, just as well I'm a tad over 17 ;)

commonwealth Mar 19th 2013 1:53 am

in my test there was a trick question, i think it was meant to test ur reading comprehension.

Jilliebee Mar 19th 2013 7:47 am

Got my test tomorrow x. Hope it goes smoothly - and quickly x

lolylew Mar 19th 2013 7:54 am

Good luck :)