Citizenship eligibility advice

Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Loop2168 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship eligibility advice

Hi all

Bit of background on me, i'm on a 186 PR visa, granted Nov 2015, after 3 years on a 457, Currently living in UK since August 2016, originally planning on returning to Australia before August 2017, I want to apply for citizenship next year, so i did not want to go over the 12 months outside Australia rule.

With the changes to the citizenship requirement from 1 year of PR to now 4 years i'm left wondering when il actually become eligible to apply for citizenship

I have looked on the immigration website and although i can see the announcement about the changes there all the other info on the citizenship application pages still refers to the rules under the old policy - To have lived in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying
must have been a permanent resident for the 12 months immediately before making an application
even the application form still shows all the old requirements, strange as they state no one applying from 20 April 2017 will be dealt with under the old policy only the new.

Anyways i guess i'm just after abit of advice, if i were to go back in the next couple of weeks, would i only have to complete another 2.5 years of PR then i could apply for citizenship? or would i need to wait 4 more years? I can't see it anywhere clearly about those 4 years of PR needing to be all lived in Australia or if there is the same no more the 12 months outside the country as per the old policy.

Im sure this is the case, just been overthinking so much the last few days, any advice would be great
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship eligibility advice

It does state in the proposal that you will need 4 years as PR immediately before applying with no more than 12 months outside of Australia in that time. Obviously these are the proposed guidelines - anything can happen before it becomes current legislation x
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

Loop2168 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
It does state in the proposal that you will need 4 years as PR immediately before applying with no more than 12 months outside of Australia in that time. Obviously these are the proposed guidelines - anything can happen before it becomes current legislation x
Thanks Jillibee, I was sure I'd seen it somewhere but couldn't find it tonight.

I'm sure it'l all become clearer in the coming days/weeks. A grandfather policy for people already on the pathway to citizenship under the old policy would be fair, after almost 6 years in Australia I'm not sure how much more intergrated I could become by waiting another 3/4 years on PR 🙈 I understand this policy for newcomers on PR but for those of us who have already spent years in Oz on legitimate visas it's quite disheartning that the goal post have been moved so much and seemingly overnight. It makes me worry what else they would change. My PR status suddenly doesn't feel so secure anymore.....

I shall continue to jump through the hoops to make australia my home, I love the country more than my own!

Last edited by Loop2168; Apr 23rd 2017 at 10:31 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
It does state in the proposal that you will need 4 years as PR immediately before applying with no more than 12 months outside of Australia in that time.
Can I ask where you saw that please?
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Le_Main is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louie
Can I ask where you saw that please?
It's on p9 of this DIBP paper

https://www.border.gov.au/Reportsand...ship-paper.pdf

Cheers
Old Apr 24th 2017, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The new rules are active now.
Old Apr 24th 2017, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Le_Main
It's on p9 of this DIBP paper

https://www.border.gov.au/Reportsand...ship-paper.pdf

Cheers
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.