citizenship in the early 70's

Old Jan 20th 2009, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future
Default citizenship in the early 70's

Is there anybody on here who knows what the procedure was for gaining citizenship in the early 70's. My parent were £10 poms and unfortunately my mum has passed on and all my dad can remember is filling out some forms. I have tried the official route with form filling, but have been told by Australia House in London i require more information than i can provide at the moment before a search of records will begin.....Also not having alot of luck with my own travel records that have been sent from OZ, all have wrong birthdate and misspelling of surname, only thing correct is travel dates. But these are all on my dads old passport from 30+ years and no records are kept from that period, according to Peterborough.

Regards Dean
Old Jan 21st 2009, 12:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: citizenship in the early 70's

As far as I am aware, before 1 June 1974, those from Commonwealth countries (British subjects) could apply for Australian citizenship by registration after 1 year in Australia as a permanent resident.

No citizenship ceremony was necessary.

However, (anecdotally at least) only a small proportion of those eligible to become Australian citizens did so.

What exactly have you made a formal application for?
Old Jan 21st 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future

Hi JAJ,
I have used form 119 and its question 15 which requires place and date of ceremony. For the place i put Rockingham W.A because we lived in the area. But i have no idea on the exact date just early 70's, but i'm being told they need the exact date or no search can take place. But like you said and my dad says there was no ceremony, catch 22.

Dean
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 2:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Form 119 for whom? You or your father?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Form 119 for whom? You or your father?

Was for me
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by deannos
Was for me
Well that's not going to work anyway, because form 119 is for those who are already Australian citizens. Australian citizenship by descent is never automatic.

If your father had become an Australian citizen then the correct form is 118, Australian citizenship by descent.

Have you thought of submitting a formal application? They must then consider it, and if it is refused, you can appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. At the very least, the AAT will probably expect DIAC to do a proper search of their records.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:41 am
Forum Regular

JAJ, surely form 118 is for those who were born when there parents were already citizens. I would have been about 7 when they hopefully gained citizenship or am i missing something. What do you mean by a formal application please.

Deanno
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ, surely form 118 is for those who were born when there parents were already citizens. I would have been about 7 when they hopefully gained citizenship or am i missing something. What do you mean by a formal application please.
In that case it's form 119.

Formal application = not just a general chat over the phone, but an application using the correct form and paying the fee, which the Minister must then consider and either formally accept or refuse (in writing).

But maybe it would make more sense for your father to apply using form 119 himself, and giving the details he remembers. It would be surprising if he filled out the forms for something as important as citizenship and cannot now remember that. It would also be surprising if he doesn't remember receiving any certificate, which he would have obtained through the mail, or by collection at an immigration office.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you may be clutching at straws but you won't know unless you apply formally and see what they say.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

JAJ, thankyou for your replies.

I will apply and see what happens. You are right in that i'm clutching at straws here, but after every thing else has gone wrong i have no choice. I'm hoping the certificate got lost in the post or something. We moved 8 times in the first 7 years and my dad was a bit of a pain going "walkabouts" a lot. My mum is the only one who would know for sure and unfortunately passed away in the early 90's. Without saying to much if you knew my dad you would understand why i ask what seem stupid and simple questions. Just out of interest could citizenship be revoked after being granted for reasons other than gaining another nationality. If it helps i could PM you the reason i ask this.

Thanks Dean
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

Just out of interest could citizenship be revoked after being granted for reasons other than gaining another nationality.
Since 1958, I am not aware of any reasons. Not even criminal activity after becoming a citizen.