British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   citizenship documents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-documents-718218/)

heg3 May 24th 2011 8:44 am

citizenship documents

Hi All,

I'm eligible to apply for citizenship and can't decide from reading the website whether I need to get police checks done. I got the checks (UK and Aus) for my spouse visa, and haven't left Australia since arriving Feburary 07. It's not clear to me if I need to get new ones.

Thanks.

heg3 May 24th 2011 9:10 am

Re: citizenship documents

And another thing,

Last month my wallet was stolen with my passport inside, which had recently expired.

I would like to know that if I get a new UK passport, will I be able to obtain a visa stamp to prove when I entered Australia? It seems there is no way to ask IMMI a question or to contact them other than to physically go to the office and wait.

Cheers.

moneypenny20 May 24th 2011 10:41 am

If you have spent more than 12 months in another country since receiving your visa then you need to get the PCC for that country. If you haven't then you don't. DIAC will check your Australian one.

If you apply for a replacement passport, you can go to a DIAC office with proof of ID and your grant letter if you still have it and they will put a new sticker in your new passport free of charge.

However if you're not planning on travelling in the next year, and get your citizenship, you don't need the sticker. If you think you'll need to travel then whilst it's not a legal requirement to have the sticker it's nice to have and can make travelling easier.

heg3 May 24th 2011 10:55 am

Thanks Moneypenny!!

What would I have done without the likes of you at brit expats? I reckon I'd still be in Bristol.

Hywel

Nimra May 26th 2011 12:36 am

I have one question regarding citizenship documents too.Hope someone help me.
Do I have to give birth certificate? and marriage certificate as well.
I don't have birthcertificate but my DOB is mentioned on my Passport,driving licence and even on my educational certificates.can I give other docs as a proof of my DOB.
thanks

Pollyana May 26th 2011 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Nimra (Post 9388330)
I have one question regarding citizenship documents too.Hope someone help me.
Do I have to give birth certificate? and marriage certificate as well.
I don't have birthcertificate but my DOB is mentioned on my Passport,driving licence and even on my educational certificates.can I give other docs as a proof of my DOB.
thanks

I had to take both to my interview, even though they were on file already.