British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship by descent and spouse sponsorship (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-descent-spouse-sponsorship-927267/)

Misspilly Aug 16th 2019 4:40 pm

Citizenship by descent and spouse sponsorship

Hi! New here!

Was as wondering if anyone could help advise me. I am a dual national uk/aus and have Australian citizenship by descent. We currently live in the uk as I have done all my life. My husband and two children are British. My husband is skilled in his field so that might be another option.

Are we we able to move to Australia if my husband got a spouse visa?
If so, would I have to be earning a certain amount as the sponsor?

Thanks in advance!

BritInParis Aug 16th 2019 6:21 pm

Re: Citizenship by descent and spouse sponsorship

You can sponsor your husband for a partner visa. From the sounds of it you’ve been together long enough for him to be granted permanent residence from the get-go. If you haven’t spend two cumulative years in Australia then you’ll need to sponsor your children as well. They can be included as dependants on your husband’s partner visa. Once you have spent two years in Australia then they can then be registered as Australian citizens by descent. Their own children would also then be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent if born outside Australia. Your husband would be eligible for citizenship by conferral after four years.

Misspilly Aug 16th 2019 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 12723830)
You can sponsor your husband for a partner visa. From the sounds of it you’ve been together long enough for him to be granted permanent residence from the get-go. If you haven’t spend two cumulative years in Australia then you’ll need to sponsor your children as well. They can be included as dependants on your husband’s partner visa. Once you have spent two years in Australia then they can then be registered as Australian citizens by descent. Their own children would also then be eligible for Australian citizenship by descent if born outside Australia. Your husband would be eligible for citizenship by conferral after four years.

Thanks so much for your reply- so am I eligible just to move there as it stands with citizenship by descent?

And I would apply for the spousal visa for him plus the kids. Do you know if I would need to work as the sponsor? Or would it be ok if it was just him working? Would it make him a more appealing candidate for work if he already had his visa via me?

Misspilly Aug 16th 2019 6:59 pm

Another quick question- would I need to be in Australia to apply for these? Or can we all move together?

BritInParis Aug 16th 2019 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Misspilly (Post 12723846)
Thanks so much for your reply- so am I eligible just to move there as it stands with citizenship by descent?

Providing you have a valid Australian passport, sure.

And I would apply for the spousal visa for him plus the kids. Do you know if I would need to work as the sponsor? Or would it be ok if it was just him working? Would it make him a more appealing candidate for work if he already had his visa via me?

You don’t need to work and, yes, already having the right to work in Australia would make your husband a lot more appealing as he would be competing on a level playing field for jobs.

Originally Posted by Misspilly (Post 12723849)
Another quick question- would I need to be in Australia to apply for these? Or can we all move together?

You can apply in either country but it’s quicker to apply from the UK.