Citizenship certificates being issued?

Old Aug 26th 2010, 8:48 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Question Citizenship certificates being issued?

I just wondered if anyone had been to a citizenship ceremony in the last couple of weeks during the election and if the citizenship certificates had been given out at the ceremony??

My local council said we were very unlikely to get them between mid August and mid Sept due to the election but everyone I speak to gives me a different answer!

And if they aren't issued, can we apply for a passport?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship certificates being issued?

Originally Posted by WS
I just wondered if anyone had been to a citizenship ceremony in the last couple of weeks during the election and if the citizenship certificates had been given out at the ceremony??

My local council said we were very unlikely to get them between mid August and mid Sept due to the election but everyone I speak to gives me a different answer!

Nope, you need the citizenship certificate before you can apply for the passport - and as people have found in the past, if you don't have a passport its possible to get back into Aus with the citizenship certificate.......but if you don't have either, who knows.........! Not very helpful really is it.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS

They are usually at the ceremony. Ours weren't since we had a private ceremony, but they came by registered post about 3 days later.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:24 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Ok thanks. It's just because of the election apparently there's no minister in place to sign the certificates between Aug/Sept.

I just wondered if anyone had actually got one recently or if we have to wait ages after doing the ceremony
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:05 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
Ok thanks. It's just because of the election apparently there's no minister in place to sign the certificates between Aug/Sept.

I just wondered if anyone had actually got one recently or if we have to wait ages after doing the ceremony
According to the Dept Foreign Affairs tonight, very helpful bloke from the Emergency Passport section -........as its a Caretaker Govt it may well be that Immigration aren't issuing certificates. However, he said that if people become citizens they should be given some proof of the fact. If not, then Immigration should have made provision not to cancel the PR visas until that proof can be issued. Unfortunately thats all he could say on the subject but he suggests a personal visit to a DIAC office and insist on talking to someone with the proper info, in person - don't call the DIAC helpline, they won't know the answer! (and thats HIS words not mine!!).
He did try and find the answer for me, but its outside their remit unfortunately. He did say do not to try and travel without getting the certificate, or checking with DIAC that the visa is still valid.

He also said if someone needs to travel and because of the delay they have the certificate but not the passport, that can be processed in 2 days in the State capital city passport offices, have to ring first and make an appointment.

So not a complete answer but I reckon unless someone says they have got their certificate in a very recent (last few days) ceremony it means a trip into DIAC in person. And grateful thanks to Mr DFAT, especially as I rang him from work about something totally different and thought I'd pick his brains while I was at it
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:16 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is still a caretaker minister and day to day business of government is supposed to proceed. There have been elections before and I don't recall any of this occurring.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:37 am
WS

Thank you so much Pollyana for that information, if I don't get it I'll be heading down to Perth DIAC office and ask them to sort something out!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Once you become a citizen - you're a citizen, whether they give you a citizenship certificate or not. So this is a question of Australian citizens being left without proof of citizenship.

DIAC ought to issue some kind of temporary evidence of citizenship that will be accepted by DFAT if they are not prepared to issue full certificates.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:14 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is still a caretaker minister and day to day business of government is supposed to proceed. There have been elections before and I don't recall any of this occurring.
Originally Posted by JAJ
Once you become a citizen - you're a citizen, whether they give you a citizenship certificate or not. So this is a question of Australian citizens being left without proof of citizenship.

DIAC ought to issue some kind of temporary evidence of citizenship that will be accepted by DFAT if they are not prepared to issue full certificates.
The letters currently being issued for the ceremonies actually state that due to the election certificates may not be issued. Sounds ridiculous I know, but......

The guy at DFAT said that the only other thing DIAC might do is not cancel the visas until the certificates are sent out, but obviously no-one has made DFAT aware of what is being said in the letters.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:17 pm
WS

Ok, so I'm thinking if I don't get my certificate, maybe I can turn up at the Perth Passport Office and apply there?? http://www.dfat.gov.au/perth/index.html

Will they have access to DIAC information which will prove I am a citizen even though I don't have a certificate to show them?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by WS
Ok, so I'm thinking if I don't get my certificate, maybe I can turn up at the Perth Passport Office and apply there?? http://www.dfat.gov.au/perth/index.html

Will they have access to DIAC information which will prove I am a citizen even though I don't have a certificate to show them?
Don't know - might be worth a try!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:37 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by WS

Depends on how quickly the DIAC database is updated, even if they do have access.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:59 am
WS

Ha ha! This would be funny if I wasn't going away on 20th Sept!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The letters currently being issued for the ceremonies actually state that due to the election certificates may not be issued. Sounds ridiculous I know, but......

The guy at DFAT said that the only other thing DIAC might do is not cancel the visas until the certificates are sent out, but obviously no-one has made DFAT aware of what is being said in the letters.
The visas automatically cease whether DIAC like it or not ... the Migration Act does not go into "caretaker mode". But whether DIAC update their systems to reflect it is another question.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 3:25 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Pollyana

DIAC may be in the wrong because there is nothing in the government caretaker conventions that suggests that routine business should be suspended. And the Minister is still the Minister until replaced ...

http://www.dpmc.gov.au/guidelines/do...onventions.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.