Citizenship certificates being issued?

Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship certificates being issued?

Originally Posted by JAJ
DIAC may be in the wrong because there is nothing in the government caretaker conventions that suggests that routine business should be suspended. And the Minister is still the Minister until replaced ...

http://www.dpmc.gov.au/guidelines/do...onventions.pdf
JAJ - we too were told we wouldn't receive a signed certificate at our ceremony as the government was in caretaker mode. It's the same with school funding, won't be released etc.

With regards to the certificates our council said there wasn't an immigration minister in place that could sign so we'd have to wait until back in "normal government status".

I think they're all kicking back, enjoying a reduced work load and a cold beer, what do you reckon!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't want to appear picky on this and obviously you guys have received these letters but are 'they' seriously trying to tell you that Chris Evans or whoever the Minister for Immigration is these days sits at his desk day in day out signing Citizenship Certificates? That's cobblers surely

I've just looked at mine, the only real signature is that of my local mayor. Chris Evans' signature is printed. How they can say it can't be signed is beyond me.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't want to appear picky on this and obviously you guys have received these letters but are 'they' seriously trying to tell you that Chris Evans or whoever the Minister for Immigration is these days sits at his desk day in day out signing Citizenship Certificates? That's cobblers surely

I've just looked at mine, the only real signature is that of my local mayor. Chris Evans' signature is printed. How they can say it can't be signed is beyond me.
It does sound crazy I agree. However I know when there is a State election we can't issue anything at work which needs a Ministerial signature between the announcement of the election and the swearing in of the new Minister - that inclues anything with a facsimile signature. Normal work goes on but there is technically no-one in the Minister's seat as there is no government. Be interesting when someone reports back to see whether the letters have caused a lot of fuss for nothing, or whether there really IS an issue with the certificates. ........
Old Aug 27th 2010, 4:44 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly Pollyana - I'm curious if anyone has actually got a certificate recently and this is a big fuss for nothing.

The letter from my council dated end of July inviting me to the ceremony next week does not mention anywhere about not getting a certificate. It was only when I phoned them to confirm I was going that they mentioned it.

Last edited by WS; Aug 27th 2010 at 4:49 am.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 2:09 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, Brisbane's position is:

A commemorative certificate is being given out at present.
The real certificates will be issued on 1st September, to be collected from DIAC, if not collected will be mailed out on 13th September.
Visas are cancelled - as per usual.

If you need a passport urgently for travel, they give you a list of instructions which basically says to put together all the stuff as normal, make an appointment with the local passport office, and tell them that you don't have the certificate yet and that they are to liaise with DIAC as they can confirm the status of your citizenship from departmental computer records.

I guess it'll be the same in other States, as they have flyers and stuff printed up with the info. Hope that helps you WS.......... (and anyone else in the same position)
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:27 pm
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

In New Zealand the minister is required to sign a ledger with all the names of those approved for citizenship on it so one signature can do 100 odd citizens.

To add to the weirdness some friends of mine attended their citizenship ceremony on 21/7 and were presented with certificates. In theory this was also within the caretaker period.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex_exile
To add to the weirdness some friends of mine attended their citizenship ceremony on 21/7 and were presented with certificates. In theory this was also within the caretaker period.
Parliament was prorogued at 4.59pm on 19th July. As the citizenship certificates are prepared before the ceremony, certificates being presented on 21st July isn't really adding to the weirdness. They were just prepared before parliament was prorogued.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:08 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Polly, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what I get at the ceremony (if anything!).
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:39 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by WS
Thanks Polly, I guess I'll just have to wait and see what I get at the ceremony (if anything!).
If you don't get the proper certificate you should at least get advise as to when you will get the real thing. Id give the local passport office a call if you don't get the certificate as they reckon they can issue the passports based on the electronic records.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 4:24 pm
WS

Thanks everyone but after all that fuss I've just been to the ceremony and received my certificate!! I'm off to the post office to apply for my passport tomorrow!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 6:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by WS
Thanks everyone but after all that fuss I've just been to the ceremony and received my certificate!! I'm off to the post office to apply for my passport tomorrow!!
Yeay!!! Well done! I have to drag myself all the way into central Brisbane after a night shift on Friday in order to get mine
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Any update for those of us in Perth? I attended the ceremony on 25 August and am still waiting. I have telephoned the council offices twice and they tell me that they process the batches of certificates as they arrive from Canberra.

I am traveling mid-December and am getting a little concerned. How long does the passport application process take?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:48 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by discobay
Any update for those of us in Perth? I attended the ceremony on 25 August and am still waiting. I have telephoned the council offices twice and they tell me that they process the batches of certificates as they arrive from Canberra.

I am traveling mid-December and am getting a little concerned. How long does the passport application process take?
Blimey, thats not good. Brisbane had the certificates out the following week. You can fast track the passport in a couple of days by going to the local passport office instead of via Aus Post and if the holdup is because of the certificate they shouldn't have a problem seeing you at the passport office in Perth (based on what I was told in August in Brisbane). I applied through Aus Post in the end, took 10 days
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - of no use to you sorry but we did ceremony last week here in rural SA and no certificate yet - they thought it could be another month of so!

Hope yours comes through soon!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, Brisbane's position is:

A commemorative certificate is being given out at present.
The real certificates will be issued on 1st September, to be collected from DIAC, if not collected will be mailed out on 13th September.
Visas are cancelled - as per usual.

If you need a passport urgently for travel, they give you a list of instructions which basically says to put together all the stuff as normal, make an appointment with the local passport office, and tell them that you don't have the certificate yet and that they are to liaise with DIAC as they can confirm the status of your citizenship from departmental computer records.

I guess it'll be the same in other States, as they have flyers and stuff printed up with the info. Hope that helps you WS.......... (and anyone else in the same position)
My local council have yet to receive our certificates so I rang the Perth passport office and the guy has told me to contact DIAC. When I suggested that he could check my citizenship on 'the system' he didn't seem to understand or want to help. DIAC have taken this on and will contact the Ceremonies department (didn't know such a department existed). If this drags on another week I'll be pulling my hair out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.