Citizenship Ceremony - babies

Old Aug 21st 2007, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship Ceremony - babies

Hope someone can help. My wife and daughter are due to have their citizenship ceremony at the local council in October. My daughter will be 8 months old. Does she (my daughter) have to attend? If not, does she have to be in the country? (I was planning on taking her to visit relatives overseas).

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Ceremony - babies

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If she is becoming a citizen at the ceremony then yes she will have to be there. Furthermore, she - and your wife - will then need an Aussie passport in order to travel as their visas will no longer be valid.
Wife needs to attend but daughter (aged under 16) does not.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info. I've just downloade the guidlines for the citizenship ceremony which has useful info on this.

Do you know if there is an issue with her being overseas at the time of the ceremony? I've tried searching round on the citizenship website, but can't seem to find anything. If not I'll give the citizenship helpline a call.

Cheers.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:15 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, sounds odd, but if thats the rules.....a friend of mine was told her kids (under 10) HAD to be present at the ceremony)..
Wrong information. Section 26 of the Australian Citizenship Act 2007 states that children under 16 do not need to make the Pledge of Commitment to become Australian citizens.

And section 28 of the Act states that a child under 16 included on the application of a responsible parent becomes a citizen when the parent does.

Adult applicants normally need to be onshore when their application is approved (not the same as a citizenship ceremony date). But this does not apply to children.

...so where does the daughter stand as regards the passport issue? Surely her visa would be cancelled also? Or can she still travel on it? When does the daughter become an Aussie
Daughter becomes an Australian as soon as the responsible parent takes the Pledge of Commitment to Australia. The parent will receive the child's citizenship certificate at the same time.

As soon as the child is an Australian citizen, either an Australian passport or an Australian Declaratory Visa in a foreign passport, is required to re-enter Australia. It might be necessary to contact an Australian mission overseas.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:44 am
Forum Regular

Great. Thank you very much for the information Jeremy.