Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizenship Application and Police Clearance

Citizenship Application and Police Clearance

Old Mar 11th 2020, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Citizenship Application and Police Clearance

Hello everyone,

We are eligible to apply for citizenship and I have almost completed filling out the forms online. Since I have been in the USA (4.5 years) after getting my permanent residency, I would need to get the FBI clearance from the US. If people know anything about the FBI clearance the processing time is around 4-5 months. My question is that, can I submit all the other documents along with the fees and then apply for PCC in parallel? When I contacted the immi helpline, they told not to apply for PCC till they ask them, is that right? Can I pay the fees and submit my citizenship application without the PCC? Please let me know.

Thanks.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

spence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nicespence501 is just really nice
Default Re: Citizenship Application and Police Clearance

Hi there, yes you can. I already had my PCC from the UK when I did my application but didn't attach it when I submitted. When I was given my date for my interview I was then requested to get my PCC done and bring it to the interview with me. As long as it's not more than 12 months old by the interview date it will be accepted. My case officer at the interview told me that herself.
Old Mar 12th 2020, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

giri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond reputegiri26 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spence501
Hi there, yes you can. I already had my PCC from the UK when I did my application but didn't attach it when I submitted. When I was given my date for my interview I was then requested to get my PCC done and bring it to the interview with me. As long as it's not more than 12 months old by the interview date it will be accepted. My case officer at the interview told me that herself.
Thanks very much for that reply. That really helps.
Old Mar 15th 2020, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting. I was told I had to submit everything at application, but that was a few years ago . . . and I was contacted and asked for fresh ones when the original ones expired anyways.

I sympathise with the FBI checks. It baffles me why it takes so long when other countries do it so fast, and I find it especially annoying because I know full well everytime I walk through an airport, get pulled over or whatever, my lack of criminal history comes up immediately for those officers. Why can we not get these printed and delivered quicker?
Old Mar 15th 2020, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carcajou
That's interesting. I was told I had to submit everything at application, but that was a few years ago . . . and I was contacted and asked for fresh ones when the original ones expired anyways.

I sympathise with the FBI checks. It baffles me why it takes so long when other countries do it so fast, and I find it especially annoying because I know full well everytime I walk through an airport, get pulled over or whatever, my lack of criminal history comes up immediately for those officers. Why can we not get these printed and delivered quicker?
It has always been like that. You do have options to do it electronically through FBI Channelers but since I wasn't a Permanent Resident or a Citizen, not sure if many of them will do it. The only option I have is via mail and it takes for ever and you would not even know if the fingerprints took until about 2 months down the line, which makes it even harder. It is horrible. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it again but it is not the case. The funny part is that I did my last FBI check in 2016 after leaving US for good for my daughters Child Visa. I haven't gone back to US since then, so the new check isn't going to be any different. I asked the immigration if I can submit that and fully understanding the PC's not being valid for more than a year thing but again it does not make any sense, does it? I understand rules are rules anyways.
Old Mar 17th 2020, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

It may well still be valid if you haven’t been back to the USA despite being over 12 months old after all you can’t get a record if you haven’t been there. I was told this a while back , but who knows what changes.