British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship Application Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-application-help-859290/)

sign Jun 1st 2015 6:42 am

Citizenship Application Help

Hi.

I arrived in Australia on the 1st June 2011 at 7.30pm; so on the 1st June 2015, I will have spent four years within Australia, so am able to apply for citizenship.

I did the online calculator test four times over the past two years, and they all reported back I am eligible to apply for citizenship on the 1st June 2015.

Then just recently on the new citizenship calculator, it was reporting that I was eligible to apply for citizenship on the 2nd June 2015, three times this was reported over a couple of weeks.

Can I ask why the change of date back by one day.

The reason I ask is, I created my IMMI account back in February just to be ready to apply for my citizenship.

I went into my account on the Sunday, yesterday 31st May 2015, and it would not let me proceed after a certain point stating I need to check on the residency calculator that I have spent enough time within Australia.

So I went back in again after midnight last night, so the 1st June 2015, and it let me proceed. It let me apply, so I did apply, I was a tad tipsy and excited and then I paid fully for my citizenship application. Maybe I should have waited until tonight, I just was to excited.

Even though the new citizenship calculator states that I cannot apply until after midnight tonight, does any one see any problems that I have.

Could they possibly reject my application, or will the system only let people apply for citizenship online if they have fully satisfied the residency criteria?

Do you think I will be okay, anyone got any experiences.

Thanks for any help

Red_V_Roger Jun 1st 2015 2:22 pm

Re: Citizenship Application Help

Its because of the leap second added on June 30, 2012 at 23:59:60 UTC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leap_second

MarkHoath Jun 1st 2015 11:59 pm

Its got nothing to do with a "leap second". Its to do with the Definition of Time in the Acts Interpretation Act. (s 36 (1), Item 5)

The Citizenship Act states.... "the person was present in Australia for the period of 4 years immediately before the day the person made the application"

Depending on your reading of the Acts Interpretation Act, the first day you arrive does not count (you weren't here the full day) and so you haven't been here for 4 years until 2 June 2015, which means you cant apply until 3 June 2015, because you need to wait a day in order to have 4 years residence BEFORE you apply.

I would not be overly concerned however if the calculator allowed you to lodge the application.

The same problem exists for couples trying to get 12 months living together for spouse visa's before applying on a de facto visa (say on a WHV etc). they cant apply on the last day.

Or 457 visa holders, who (for some stupid reason) only applied for a 2 year 457. They cant apply for ENS until after their visa expires so they need to make another 457 application.

sign Jun 2nd 2015 7:57 am

Originally Posted by MarkHoath (Post 11662884)
The Citizenship Act states.... "the person was present in Australia for the period of 4 years immediately before the day the person made the application"

Depending on your reading of the Acts Interpretation Act, the first day you arrive does not count (you weren't here the full day) and so you haven't been here for 4 years until 2 June 2015, which means you cant apply until 3 June 2015, because you need to wait a day in order to have 4 years residence BEFORE you apply.

I would not be overly concerned however if the calculator allowed you to lodge the application.

Thanks for that, very informative. I hope you are correct, otherwise its $260 bucks up the swanny.

My friend today put in her application in for two family members, their dates are near mine but a few days out. Anyway she got to a certain point and the systems was stating that she needs to check on the residency calculator that she has spent enough time within Australia. It would not let her proceed any further.

So it looks like you have to satisfy the time spent requirements before you can lodge anyway.

It allowed me to lodge so touch wood I should be fine. Anyway it has been acknowledged that my application has been received yesterday, and I am all good today. Been here over four years now.

Lets see how long all this takes.

Red_V_Roger Jun 2nd 2015 8:18 am

[QUOTE=MarkHoath;11662884]Its got nothing to do with a "leap second".QUOTE]

I was being facetious :sarcasm:

Rodger_lawson Jun 3rd 2015 5:54 am

Hi All, it's been a while since I posed a question in "be" forum though have been a passive reader.
I have a question--> I submitted and paid the fees for citizenship on May 8th and got the application received acknowledgement the same day (automated message may be?) .
On May 21st, there was another e-mail stating I'd receive an appointment e-mail shortly. And that email never arrived. I called the number and the good lady on the other side pulled up the file and stated she could see the correspondence but can't do much about it as the processing center has not really created the appointment. It'd be 2 weeks tomorrow and I am not sure what to do.
Has this happened to anyone on be?

Pollyana Jun 3rd 2015 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Rodger_lawson (Post 11664259)
Hi All, it's been a while since I posed a question in "be" forum though have been a passive reader.
I have a question--> I submitted and paid the fees for citizenship on May 8th and got the application received acknowledgement the same day (automated message may be?) .
On May 21st, there was another e-mail stating I'd receive an appointment e-mail shortly. And that email never arrived. I called the number and the good lady on the other side pulled up the file and stated she could see the correspondence but can't do much about it as the processing center has not really created the appointment. It'd be 2 weeks tomorrow and I am not sure what to do.
Has this happened to anyone on be?

Ring them again. Took me a few phone calls and a lot of hassling as my email went down a black hole and they even admitted it was their fault. I didn't chase them (not being that bothered) and so it took 7 months to actually get an appointment. Had I chased them in the first place it would've been much quicker.

However, mine is Brisbane, assume yours is Perth? Don't know how long it takes them to get appointments out.

Rodger_lawson Jun 4th 2015 1:38 am

Thanks Pollyana! much appreciate the quick response.

My signature is all out of date. I am now in melbourne. I did call them this morning and was told the email about appointment could be an error and was told to wait. Wait, I'll do. :-)

msmyrtle Jun 4th 2015 7:05 am

Originally Posted by Rodger_lawson (Post 11665366)
Thanks Pollyana! much appreciate the quick response.

My signature is all out of date. I am now in melbourne. I did call them this morning and was told the email about appointment could be an error and was told to wait. Wait, I'll do. :-)

I applied on May 14th and got my appointment email May 20th. No interim email telling me the appointment email is forthcoming. I'm in Melbourne as well.

I would maybe give it the weekend and try again on Tuesday...

sign Jun 25th 2015 7:53 am

Got rejected for citizenship today.

Just because of a 24 hour blip. The online portal allowed me to apply for citizenship. on the 1st, yet the online calculator stated I could not apply until the 2nd. So I applied, paid $260 bucks, got invited to a test, went to my appointment today, only to be told I am one day short on the day I applied.

I am gutted to say the least. Devastated, I cannot believe the system let me apply, let me pay the money. Only to be told I am 24 hours short on the appointment day. What kind of system is that.

I cannot do anything other than re-apply, a pay another $260 bucks.

Rhubarb65 Jun 25th 2015 10:34 am

Originally Posted by sign (Post 11684310)
Got rejected for citizenship today.

Just because of a 24 hour blip. The online portal allowed me to apply for citizenship. on the 1st, yet the online calculator stated I could not apply until the 2nd. So I applied, paid $260 bucks, got invited to a test, went to my appointment today, only to be told I am one day short on the day I applied.

I am gutted to say the least. Devastated, I cannot believe the system let me apply, let me pay the money. Only to be told I am 24 hours short on the appointment day. What kind of system is that.

I cannot do anything other than re-apply, a pay another $260 bucks.

On the other hand - and for the sake of one additional day's wait - why did you not follow the advice of the online calculator? That is what it is supposed to be for, after all!

teza Jun 25th 2015 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65 (Post 11684431)
On the other hand - and for the sake of one additional day's wait - why did you not follow the advice of the online calculator? That is what it is supposed to be for, after all!

Got to say, exactly my thoughts, you are the only one in my 10+ here on BE who literally applied the minute they thought they were eligible. Lessions learned I guess

sign Jun 25th 2015 4:18 pm

No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. Such is life, no need to rub my nose in it?

I flooked up, excitement, but that is me.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/ht.../popup/faq.htm

Second Applications

If you previously applied for conferral of Australian citizenship and were unsuccessful solely on the basis of not meeting the residence requirements, you do not have to pay a second application fee if you reapply within 3 months of residentially qualifying. You will now be able to lodge the second application electronically.

Keeps asking me for payment? I paid already three weeks go and got knocked back for the reasons above. (not meeting the residence requirements). I meet them today easily.

Any thoughts?

msmyrtle Jun 25th 2015 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by sign (Post 11684697)
No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. Such is life, no need to rub my nose in it?

I flooked up, excitement, but that is me.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/ht.../popup/faq.htm

Second Applications

If you previously applied for conferral of Australian citizenship and were unsuccessful solely on the basis of not meeting the residence requirements, you do not have to pay a second application fee if you reapply within 3 months of residentially qualifying. You will now be able to lodge the second application electronically.

Keeps asking me for payment? I paid already three weeks go and got knocked back for the reasons above. (not meeting the residence requirements). I meet them today easily.

Any thoughts?

Is there a tickbox for concession or exemption of payment?

sign Jun 26th 2015 1:20 am

Originally Posted by msmyrtle (Post 11684980)
Is there a tickbox for concession or exemption of payment?

Nothing, odd.