Wikiposts

Citizenship application fee

Old Jun 17th 2014, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

TobyShadow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship application fee

Hi,

I put my application in for citizenship last year but was rejected on residency grounds (long story but I went back to the UK and during that time my permanent visa expired, I didn't realise I had to renew my 'permanent' visa every 5 years ).

Anyhow, I was told at the time that if I reapply for citizenship within three months of being eligible then I would not have to pay the application fee again and I could reapply online. This is also stated on the Citizenship website.

However, when I came to reapply last night online I couldn't find anything that would let me waiver the fee.

Does anyone know whether I can claim the application fee back at all for this latest application? As I said I couldn't see anything on the application website to help me out.

Thanks,

Toby
Old Jun 19th 2014, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship application fee

Not something I have seen or heard of before. Perhaps you would need to do a paper application in this case.

I guess one thing puzzles me, if you were not eligible last year, how would you be only a year later?
Old Jun 19th 2014, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

When I was rejected last year I was told by the Govt Citizenship officer that I would be able to apply after one year of getting my new visa. Overall I have been here nine years now, 3 years on 457 visa, 5 years on permanent residency, now on resident return visa. So I have been permanent resident for 6 years now, save for the 3 weeks when I went to the Uk last year.

I was able to apply online without any problems this week expect for having to pay fee hence my query. Last year when I applied online I got a message saying that I would not meet criteria for residency. Didn't get it this time so I assume it is OK.

See 'Second Application' section in link below:

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/ht.../popup/faq.htm
Old Jun 20th 2014, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TobyShadow
When I was rejected last year I was told by the Govt Citizenship officer that I would be able to apply after one year of getting my new visa. Overall I have been here nine years now, 3 years on 457 visa, 5 years on permanent residency, now on resident return visa. So I have been permanent resident for 6 years now, save for the 3 weeks when I went to the Uk last year.

I was able to apply online without any problems this week expect for having to pay fee hence my query. Last year when I applied online I got a message saying that I would not meet criteria for residency. Didn't get it this time so I assume it is OK.

See 'Second Application' section in link below:

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/ht.../popup/faq.htm
Ah ok, so you went offshore for a few weeks and tried to return without a valid return visa. Yes they do "punish" that with an extra 12 months before you can apply for citizenship.

As I say, I think you might need to do a paper application if you want to avoid the fee. Me, I would just pay it in order to move things forward more quickly.
Old Jun 20th 2014, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Ah ok, so you went offshore for a few weeks and tried to return without a valid return visa. Yes they do "punish" that with an extra 12 months before you can apply for citizenship.

As I say, I think you might need to do a paper application if you want to avoid the fee. Me, I would just pay it in order to move things forward more quickly.
Yep, I didn't realise the precise rules and got a whole heap of hassle as punishment for my stupidity! I put the application in, as you say, to move things along.