British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Citizenship Applicant Appoved (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/citizenship-applicant-appoved-727232/)

ed_the_lad Aug 3rd 2011 1:03 am

Citizenship Applicant Appoved

I did my citizenship interview and exam yesterday and my status has changed to applicant approved.I'm surprised it was so quick as i was expecting police clearance to take afew days.So i take it this means i can travel overseas now until my ceremony?

mrsgreenstar76 Aug 3rd 2011 1:34 am

Re: Citizenship Applicant Appoved

Originally Posted by ed_the_lad (Post 9534098)
I did my citizenship interview and exam yesterday and my status has changed to applicant approved.I'm surprised it was so quick as i was expecting police clearance to take afew days.So i take it this means i can travel overseas now until my ceremony?

Congratulations! Great news! :thumbsup: (Sorry, not sure about your question though. Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge than I will be along soon! :D)

Pollyana Aug 3rd 2011 3:39 am

Your visa isn't cancelled until the ceremony, so yes, you can still travel.

ed_the_lad Aug 3rd 2011 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9534270)
Your visa isn't cancelled until the ceremony, so yes, you can still travel.

We'll the only thing is, my PR is expiring mid Sept, this probably means if i'm out of the country while it expires i will need to get a holiday visa to re-enter australia to attend the ceremony? Just wondering if its a good idea to return before the PR expires, which might be inconvienient or maybe theirs no issue here?

goldchoccycoin Aug 3rd 2011 5:25 am

You will not be able to use the PR visa once it expires and I'm not sure if the best idea is to get a tourist visa (or if you will even be eligible as a prospective citizen).

Have you fulfilled the requirements for a Resident Return Visa? I expect so if you qualify for Citizenship!

You can apply before your current visa expires - which would solve your problems.

U Jay Aug 3rd 2011 9:52 am

Congrats,can you share what did they ask you in the interview.

ed_the_lad Aug 3rd 2011 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by U Jay (Post 9534890)
Congrats,can you share what did they ask you in the interview.

They call it an interview, but its just about handing over documents and getting your picture taken.No questions of importance.The questions will be asked by a computer during your citizenship test.

U Jay Aug 7th 2011 11:42 am

Originally Posted by ed_the_lad (Post 9536436)
They call it an interview, but its just about handing over documents and getting your picture taken.No questions of importance.The questions will be asked by a computer during your citizenship test.

hhmm thanks, what type of questions computer ask ?

Pollyana Aug 7th 2011 11:59 am

Originally Posted by U Jay (Post 9542832)
hhmm thanks, what type of questions computer ask ?

You need to go to the citizenship website and read up about the citizenship test. That will tell you the kind of thing that is asked, and provide you with a booklet to study.
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/...test_resource/

U Jay Aug 7th 2011 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9542856)
You need to go to the citizenship website and read up about the citizenship test. That will tell you the kind of thing that is asked, and provide you with a booklet to study.
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/learn/...test_resource/

Many thanks

lonndongeek Aug 7th 2011 11:30 pm

I put my application in last Monday (supporting docs uploaded at 1800). I got a letter on Friday dated Wednesday saying application had been processed and to go for the interview/test on Friday week.

If they keep processing stuff this quickly, I'm not going to have anything to whinge about!

Cheers

LG

lonndongeek Aug 19th 2011 2:49 am

Sat the citizenship test this morning. Got through the 20 questions with 42.5 minutes remaining and scored 100%.

I am now slightly less of a dirty foreigner than when I woke up this morning :)

19 days between submitting the application and having the application approved. Woot!

One thing I was told during the interview - If you put the application in online, your choice of council for the ceremony doesn't make it through and a 'human' picks the 'local' council. In my case this was 4.5 hours drive away! Fixed now and no long drive required.

Cheers

LG

Nimra Aug 19th 2011 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by lonndongeek (Post 9568210)
Sat the citizenship test this morning. Got through the 20 questions with 42.5 minutes remaining and scored 100%.

I am now slightly less of a dirty foreigner than when I woke up this morning :)

19 days between submitting the application and having the application approved. Woot!

One thing I was told during the interview - If you put the application in online, your choice of council for the ceremony doesn't make it through and a 'human' picks the 'local' council. In my case this was 4.5 hours drive away! Fixed now and no long drive required.

Cheers

LG

Hi LG,
after giving test how long it took for u to get the approval letter? I am told two weeks, from your post it seems you got approval soon after your test, if thats the case lucky you! and which state u are from, I think Melbourne has a longer waiting time:(

just had a relook on your post so u are from Adelaide no doubt process is super fast their!

lonndongeek Aug 20th 2011 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Nimra (Post 9569956)
Hi LG,
after giving test how long it took for u to get the approval letter? I am told two weeks, from your post it seems you got approval soon after your test, if thats the case lucky you! and which state u are from, I think Melbourne has a longer waiting time:(

just had a relook on your post so u are from Adelaide no doubt process is super fast their!

As I said, I sat the test yesterday. I was told there and then that the application was approved. No idea how long it'll take to get the letter. Seeing as I won't be going to a ceremony until January I'm not too fussed.

Cheers

LG

commonwealth Aug 20th 2011 5:07 am

you may need to get an RRV?

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/ceremo...ding_ceremony/

If you need to travel outside Australia after you have been approved for citizenship but before your ceremony, you must travel on your current passport. This will not affect your ability to attend your ceremony or become an Australian citizen.

Before you depart you must ensure you have a visa that allows you to re-enter Australia for your ceremony. If the travel validity period on you permanent visa has expired, or is about to expire, you will need to apply for a Resident Return Visa.

If you do plan to travel outside Australia before your ceremony, please let us know. Contact the Citizenship Information Line.

Telephone: 131 880 between 8.30 am and 4.30 pm Monday to Friday.