Citizenship

Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all
Default Citizenship

How do I go about applying? Will have been here 2 years on Dec 5th.
Do I just need to download forms from the immi web site? Has anyone else been granted recently or in the process of application?
Would love to hear your stories.
Claire.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:41 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship

Everything you need to know is here: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ws99
Everything you need to know is here: http://www.citizenship.gov.au/
Thank you
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Claire,

We applied the day after our two years were up. We were worried that the imminent changes might affect us and wanted to get it done asap. We applied online and paid by credit card.

We got application numbers so that we could check up on status online, but this didn't work out, surprise, surprise.

We got letters after about four weeks asking us to call given number and arrange interview at a Post Office. That was really strange because they interviewed us standing at the counter with other customers being served either side of us so was slightly embarrassing.

After interview we had to wait about 4 months for the next ceremony. We were amazed at the number of people there. Our Australian friends were all so happy that we decided to become citizens, we got bottles of champagne from some of them! We were allowed to invite up to 20 friends to the ceremony and ladies from a local club provided a buffet supper for everyone afterwards.

Not sure that it will be that easy for people now. I've heard that there's now a booklet you have to study and answer 20 questions at interview. We only had about 5 questions, no written stuff, and rest of interview was the lady at Post Office checking through our documents, driver license, passport, birth certs etc.

It's certainly not as daunting as the visa application.

As an alternative to citizenship you can renew your five year visa when it's due to expire. At the time we applied for citizenship both citizenship and renewing the visa would have been $120 dollars per adult. Children under 18 are given a certificate too, but there is no charge for them as they apply with one parent. Each adult has to make a seaprate application and we made the mistake of putting children on both applications, lady at Post Office sorted that out for us.

Good Luck!

Maggie
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaggieM
Hi Claire,

We applied the day after our two years were up. We were worried that the imminent changes might affect us and wanted to get it done asap. We applied online and paid by credit card.

We got application numbers so that we could check up on status online, but this didn't work out, surprise, surprise.

We got letters after about four weeks asking us to call given number and arrange interview at a Post Office. That was really strange because they interviewed us standing at the counter with other customers being served either side of us so was slightly embarrassing.

After interview we had to wait about 4 months for the next ceremony. We were amazed at the number of people there. Our Australian friends were all so happy that we decided to become citizens, we got bottles of champagne from some of them! We were allowed to invite up to 20 friends to the ceremony and ladies from a local club provided a buffet supper for everyone afterwards.

Not sure that it will be that easy for people now. I've heard that there's now a booklet you have to study and answer 20 questions at interview. We only had about 5 questions, no written stuff, and rest of interview was the lady at Post Office checking through our documents, driver license, passport, birth certs etc.

It's certainly not as daunting as the visa application.

As an alternative to citizenship you can renew your five year visa when it's due to expire. At the time we applied for citizenship both citizenship and renewing the visa would have been $120 dollars per adult. Children under 18 are given a certificate too, but there is no charge for them as they apply with one parent. Each adult has to make a seaprate application and we made the mistake of putting children on both applications, lady at Post Office sorted that out for us.

Good Luck!

Maggie

Thanks for your detailed reply Maggie.
It doesn't seem that long ago that we were stressing over the visa application...I can't believe we've almost been here two years!
Sounds like your ceremony was great fun! I'll look forward to that bit!
I wonder if we'll have the lengthy interview and questioning then? I'll guess we'll find out soon enough. I'll lodge our applications as soon as our two years are up in early December.
Thanks again for taking the time to post your reply.
Claire. x