A citizen at last

Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of
Default A citizen at last

I got sworn in last week in Cannington, Perth. Nice ceremony and pleasantly surprised with the finger food and soft drinks (should have invited some friends). Received a pin badge and water-wise plant (which emptied itself into my car at the first corner). On arrival we were greeted by a volunteer who instead of begging for donations was thrusting the electoral registration form into our faces. He started off with some rubbish about their being a hung parliament so we had to fill the form in. An accompanying leaflet outlined that registration was mandatory and fineable if not done. Has this changed? Another thing was that we didn't get our citizenship certificates and the explanation was that because of the hung parliament we don't have a minister for immigration. I find that strange. So who runs immigration and makes the important decisions? Do we also not have a prime minister?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A citizen at last

Originally Posted by discobay
I got sworn in last week in Cannington, Perth. Nice ceremony and pleasantly surprised with the finger food and soft drinks (should have invited some friends). Received a pin badge and water-wise plant (which emptied itself into my car at the first corner). On arrival we were greeted by a volunteer who instead of begging for donations was thrusting the electoral registration form into our faces. He started off with some rubbish about their being a hung parliament so we had to fill the form in. An accompanying leaflet outlined that registration was mandatory and fineable if not done. Has this changed? Another thing was that we didn't get our citizenship certificates and the explanation was that because of the hung parliament we don't have a minister for immigration. I find that strange. So who runs immigration and makes the important decisions? Do we also not have a prime minister?
They're still there but in 'caretaker' mode. If an emergency happened then the caretaker would take responsibility but general run of the mill stuff gets kind of put on hold. There's a thread around which goes into more detail about the lack of Citizenship Certificate at the moment.

Nothing has changed with regards voting. The person handing out the forms presumably believes there will be another election in the next few months and that was why they were saying what they did. They always hand out the preprinted electoral roll forms at the ceremony, just don't often have the hung parliament situation we have at the moment.

If you get on the roll but don't go to vote you get fined $20. However, all you have to do is rock up to the polling station, you can do what you want with the ballot form if you have problems with either having to vote or not having a clue who to vote for.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:46 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get any information on when you might receive the certificate or how you can apply for a passport whilst you haven't got one!?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WS
Did you get any information on when you might receive the certificate or how you can apply for a passport whilst you haven't got one!?
They did offer advice for those intending to travel in the near future but I am not so I don't have anything useful to pass on. It should be just a formality so there really is no reason to hide behind the 'we have no minister' line.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:11 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Cool thanks, did they say when you might get the certificate?
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on getting citizenship

I keep reading how different everyones ceremony goes, every council seems to have a different way of doing things
Old Aug 31st 2010, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WS
Cool thanks, did they say when you might get the certificate?
Yes they said it would after we get a government.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Hampshire - soon to be somewhere between Brissie and Gold Coast!!!
MrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud ofMrsE has much to be proud of
Smile Re: A citizen at last

Congratulations on becoming a citizen

I read somewhere that certificates are not being signed until the new government is in place.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LINDZI
Congrats on getting citizenship
Thanks.
Originally Posted by MrsE
And thanks.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 9:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsE

I read somewhere that certificates are not being signed until the new government is in place.
Brisbane will be issued certificates on September 1st - that was the advice given at last weekes ceremony.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:23 am
WS

It's so confusing. I had my ceremony yesterday in Perth and received my certificate
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WS
It's so confusing. I had my ceremony yesterday in Perth and received my certificate
Do they know something we don't?
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:19 am
WS

I don't really understand it at all
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
I don't really understand it at all
Like I said ages ago, they were covering themselves 'just in case'. There have been three elections since I've been playing on BE, it's the first time I've heard of Certificates not being handed over at the Ceremony. No one was told they wouldn't get them, they were told they 'may not' get them.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 4:16 am
WS

As I said previously, I was told by the council I would not receive it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.