Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia)
Reload this Page >

Citizen certificate problem! No sitting parliament, no minister for Immigration

Citizen certificate problem! No sitting parliament, no minister for Immigration

Old Jul 17th 2016, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light
Exclamation Citizen certificate problem! No sitting parliament, no minister for Immigration

It's been a while since I visited the forum. We've been busy settling in to Perth and making a life for our family. I hope everyone is keeping well!

We have recently had our citizenship ceremony but have been told that because of the delayed election result that there's no immigration minister so no-one to sign the certificates so they can be issued!

Does anyone have any experience with this? We're supposed to go on an international holiday but because we're now citizens we can't even use our British passports.

We started the process months ago with the knowledge of our holiday which is supposed to happen on the 4th September.

Can anyone offer any info, guidance or help?

How long will it take to get certificates issued? The holiday is for a friends 40th celebration and I have tried everything to get this to happen in time etc and it seems at the last hurdle we've been thrown a curve ball that I can't find any info on what so ever and I'm not sure we'll be able to get around it!

Thanks all

Janna

Last edited by Janna and Nick; Jul 17th 2016 at 11:03 am. Reason: Add my name :)
Old Jul 17th 2016, 9:33 pm
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizen certificate problem! No sitting parliament, no minister for Immigration

I doubt that there will be anyone who has experience of this situation. It's not like there's no election result all that often.

Do you need your citizenship certificate to apply for a passport? It's been a few years since I applied for mine.
Old Jul 17th 2016, 11:03 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizen certificate problem! No sitting parliament, no minister for Immigration

My memory is a bit hazy cos this was a few years ago, but....when I did my ceremony they were between Ministers, or had just had an election, I forget which. Anyway, I was told the same, that the Minister could not sign. As I needed a passport asap I rang the Passport Office and they said to contact them after the ceremony to check that they had received the notification of grant of citizenship, and then they could issue the passport without the certificate, as long as I had all the other passport paperwork ready.

As it turned out, the outgoing Minister had signed the certificates anyway, but I suggest you ring the Passport Office, as I did and explain it to them.