CIMA finalist - Skills Assesment

Old Aug 25th 2007, 8:26 am
Just Joined

Want to Live in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CIMA finalist - Skills Assesment

Hi

I was hoping that someone might be able to help, I have just received an Advance Diploma in Mgt Accounting after passing the Managerial level of CIMA. Has anyone had this level skill assessed, if so how many points would it be worth? I have family in Sydney and and trying to emigrate there.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CIMA finalist - Skills Assesment

Originally Posted by Want to Live in Oz
Hi

I was hoping that someone might be able to help, I have just received an Advance Diploma in Mgt Accounting after passing the Managerial level of CIMA. Has anyone had this level skill assessed, if so how many points would it be worth? I have family in Sydney and and trying to emigrate there.
I doubt you will have any chance of a skill assessment until you become a CIMA member.

Unless you already have a university degree - have you?
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Want to Live in Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
I doubt you will have any chance of a skill assessment until you become a CIMA member.

Unless you already have a university degree - have you?

No unfortunately not, but I was hoping what I already have would be deemed to be equivelent to that of a degree.

Thanks for your reply
Old Aug 28th 2007, 1:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Want to Live in Oz
No unfortunately not, but I was hoping what I already have would be deemed to be equivelent to that of a degree.

Thanks for your reply
Very unlikely, sorry. If you had studied ACCA and obtained the BSc degree from Oxford Brookes that they sponsor, you might have more options.

Definitely no chance of a 60 point assessment from ICAA/CPAA/NIA.

You could always approach Vetassess and ask them (if a 50 point occupation will do), however you may find out that the CIMA Advanced Diploma is not recognised as a degree in the U.K. either.

Long term, you should plan to do both an Australian bachelors degree (you should get 2 years credit out of 3, as a CIMA member), plus do the Australian CA Program (to become an Australian CA) to enhance your employment prospects in Australia.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

ClaireM will become famous soon enough

Hi there

I got a positive assessment from the NIA as a CIMA member, but I had completed the full qualification and gained my letters over ten years ago.

I think to have the equivalent of a degree you will need to complete the strategic level as well as the managerial that you have, as well as the certificate in professional competence.

CIMA can be a degree equivalent, but only if you complete the entire qualification as I understand it!

Hope this helps, and good luck
ClaireM
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by ClaireM
Hi there

I got a positive assessment from the NIA as a CIMA member, but I had completed the full qualification and gained my letters over ten years ago.

I think to have the equivalent of a degree you will need to complete the strategic level as well as the managerial that you have, as well as the certificate in professional competence.

CIMA can be a degree equivalent, but only if you complete the entire qualification as I understand it!
As far as I understand it, professional qualifications are only accepted on the basis of full membership - ie, exams + work experience + formal admission.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:11 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
As far as I understand it, professional qualifications are only accepted on the basis of full membership - ie, exams + work experience + formal admission.
I beg to differ. I was accepted by NIA on the basis of ACCA associate membership, i.e. less than 3 years work experience.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:33 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by janicebks
I beg to differ. I was accepted by NIA on the basis of ACCA associate membership, i.e. less than 3 years work experience.
3 years work experience is required for ACCA associate membership (which is full membership) so it's unclear what point you are trying to make.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 4:33 am
Hopeful Idealist

janicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant futurejanicebks has a brilliant future

I apologize. I meant affiliate.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 11:42 am
JAJ
Retired

I apologize. I meant affiliate.
Do you have a university degree?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:56 am
Hopeful Idealist

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you have a university degree?
No, I don't. I have RPL though, having been exempted from the first stage of ACCA through completion of Certified Accounting Technician (CAT). NIA was quite adamant in obtaining that specific statement from ACCA. It took me three months to get a positive assessment.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 3:43 am
JAJ
Retired

No, I don't. I have RPL though, having been exempted from the first stage of ACCA through completion of Certified Accounting Technician (CAT). NIA was quite adamant in obtaining that specific statement from ACCA. It took me three months to get a positive assessment.
You may well have been lucky. "Affiliate" or passed finalist status is not normally enough to get a skill assessment, unless NIA have changed their policies quite recently.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the process of getting my assessment through NIA (once the post office have found what on earth they've done with my package) and having spoken to NIA you have to pass the final papers & submitted your RPE - you have to provide evidence of membership (ie the certificate once your RPE has been approved) and a letter stating that you are a current member of good standing, and how you obtained your membership (ie through examination).
I know FS is a pig of a paper, but RCS, BS and TOPCIMA aren't that bad to get through - and your salary options will be a lot better with them behind you.