Children and Citizenship by Descent

Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Idlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really niceIdlewood is just really nice
Default Children and Citizenship by Descent

Now heres one from the other half:

my family emigrated in the 80s and i subsequently became an oz citizen. i moved back to the uk where i had 2 children sadly i was widowed 3 years ago and am now looking to retrurn to perth where my family still live. My problems are that A my oz passport has expired which am presently sorting out and B the citizenship by descent application looks pretty daunting. Is it gruelling as it looks and how long does it take to process?

Many thanks in advance
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:40 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all
Default Re: Children and Citizenship by Descent

Hi, I am assuming you are looking at citizenship by decent for your children.

The form is not so bad, and it takes approximately no longer than 2 weeks from lodging. We applied for CBD for our grandchildren as soon as they were born and I can remember that their certificates came back pretty quickly.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 7:56 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about it. I am a citizen by decent by my mum (I was born here) and got it for my son by decent. So decent times two, no problem.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:23 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Idlewood
Now heres one from the other half:

my family emigrated in the 80s and i subsequently became an oz citizen. i moved back to the uk where i had 2 children sadly i was widowed 3 years ago and am now looking to retrurn to perth where my family still live. My problems are that A my oz passport has expired which am presently sorting out and B the citizenship by descent application looks pretty daunting. Is it gruelling as it looks and how long does it take to process?
As others have said, it's quite straightforward.

One thing you should bear in mind that as your children will be Australian citizens by descent, they need to clock up 2 years in Australia in order to be able to pass on their citizenship a further generation (if their future children are born outside Australia).

So you should perhaps plan to ensure you do stay in Australia a total of 2 years, also make sure you keep good documentation (eg school records).
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

HullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the rough

Hi Idlewood

I have just applied for Citizen by Descent for my two girls and it took 1 week from sending to London by special delivery, to receiving their citizen certificates back.

I found the form, very easy to fill in and cost £50 for the first child and £40 for each subsequent child plus £10 for outbound and inbound special delivery so £100 in all.

I will be getting them a passport next month.

hope that helps
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of lightMr Grumpy is a glorious beacon of light

I know this is the reverse of whats being asked, but the same issue none the less.

Anyone know how to go about getting UK Citizenship by descent. My mum was Scottish and immigrated to Australia in the 1960s. She never became an Australian citizen so I assume she never gave up UK citizenship.

I was born before 1983(1982 to be exact) so there is some rule with that as well, im not sure.

Ive looked on the UK High Commission website but it is very complex.

I cant get any family help as my mother is long dead and her entire side of the family is extinct. Most of my Aussie side of the family is dead as well, just one sister and an Aunt left. So I am severely lacking in any guidance
Old Jan 5th 2008, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

HullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the roughHullyBullys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy
I know this is the reverse of whats being asked, but the same issue none the less.

Anyone know how to go about getting UK Citizenship by descent. My mum was Scottish and immigrated to Australia in the 1960s. She never became an Australian citizen so I assume she never gave up UK citizenship.

I was born before 1983(1982 to be exact) so there is some rule with that as well, im not sure.

I cant get any family help as my mother is long dead and her entire side of the family is extinct. Most of my Aussie side of the family is dead as well, just one sister and an Aunt left. So I am severely lacking in any guidance
Hi

I take it you where born in Australia?

If that is the case then you are already a citizen. I went around in circles like you are,reading all the blurb but the simple fact is if you where born there and you haven't intentionally given up citizenship then you are a citizen already.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:03 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HullyBullys
Hi

I take it you where born in Australia?

If that is the case then you are already a citizen. I went around in circles like you are,reading all the blurb but the simple fact is if you where born there and you haven't intentionally given up citizenship then you are a citizen already.

Hope this helps
She's not worried about her Australia citizenship. It looks like she's wondering if she can get UK citizenship through her mother.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Grumpy

This is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_citi...hip_by_descent

"Prior to 1983, as a general rule British nationality could only be transmitted from the father through one generation only, and parents were required to be married. See History of British nationality law.

With effect from 30 April 2003, a person born outside the UK to a British mother may be entitled to register as a British citizen by descent if that person was born between 8 February 1961 and 31 December 1982. However those with permanent resident status in the UK, or entitled to Right of Abode, may instead prefer to seek naturalisation as a British citizen which gives transmissible British citizenship otherwise than by descent."

Looks like you can register as a British citizen. More info here: http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ault.asp?id=81

Last edited by NickyC; Jan 5th 2008 at 10:19 am.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

Hi Idlewood

I have just applied for Citizen by Descent for my two girls and it took 1 week from sending to London by special delivery, to receiving their citizen certificates back.

I found the form, very easy to fill in and cost £50 for the first child and £40 for each subsequent child plus £10 for outbound and inbound special delivery so £100 in all.

hope that helps
Hi,

I am just about to send off the form off for my son for CBD - but on the passport side, did you have to go into London and have a interview/lodge in person to get their passports for the first time?

Cheers
Old Jan 5th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555
She's not worried about her Australia citizenship. It looks like she's wondering if she can get UK citizenship through her mother.
Doh... my bad
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

My Son was born 2 weeks ago just went to do the UK citizenship only to discover this is $1,114 + postage + Passport

Am I looking at the right thing MN1 ??

Thanks
Old Jan 6th 2008, 12:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tabby
My Son was born 2 weeks ago just went to do the UK citizenship only to discover this is $1,114 + postage + Passport

Am I looking at the right thing MN1 ??
If either parent was born in the U.K. then this form is not necessary. Just apply for the British passport directly.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
If either parent was born in the U.K. then this form is not necessary. Just apply for the British passport directly.

Thanks for the info
Old Feb 4th 2008, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

shoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the roughshoshana is a jewel in the rough

Hi Idlewood

hope that helps
Hi - did you put a special delivery envelope in with the application for them to return to you?

Thanks